News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Habbaku on March 19, 2016, 06:17:04 PM
:lol:  That appears to be a boardgame port of Napoleon in Europe.  The map is even the same.

It is. However from what I read the AI is a killer and Britain will keep the player on his toes with his diplomatic clout. I liked how the boardgame (and PC port) operationalizes that reality; after all Napoleon was crushing piecemeal foes that on paper should have defeated France, had they been united and well-coordinated. However, I am still in doubt on how the game represents the sheer manpower advantage France had over his opponents combined.

The fact that only France is playable does iff me, but if succesful a Britain DLC is on the cards.

Habbaku

The game won't historically represent anything to a degree.  It is way too abstract for that.  It is basically Risk meets Napoleon with some diplomacy rules and a crunchy tactical combat system thrown into the mix.  I would not recommend it to anyone.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 08, 2016, 01:45:12 PM
Not sure if anyone here checks out Ross's Game Dunegon now and then. I like his review of obscure games, but I still think this is his best review:

Super Cult Tycoon (YouTube)

He's, uhm, oddly specific in explaining how the game is unrealistic. :lol:

Damn, that would actually be a great theme for a tycoon game, but the execution is pretty shoddy and simplistic.

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on March 19, 2016, 06:45:28 PM
The game won't historically represent anything to a degree.  It is way too abstract for that.  It is basically Risk meets Napoleon with some diplomacy rules and a crunchy tactical combat system thrown into the mix.  I would not recommend it to anyone.

I haven't payed the boardgame but I have had good fun working on the PC game, I think the format works well for a fairly light, but challenging and flavourful single player Napoleonic experience.

Richard Hakluyt

I got the game and I'm having some fun with it. I wouldn't advise people with tight budgets to get it but for people who don't mind paying £20 for, say, 20 hours of entertainment it is fine. I tried at "general" setting at first but things went badly so now I'm a "corporal"........ :lol:

Josquius

I just saw an advert on tv for a game called quantum break.
I've no idea what it's about but shit the graphics look amazing :o
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Drakken on March 19, 2016, 06:32:31 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 19, 2016, 06:17:04 PM
:lol:  That appears to be a boardgame port of Napoleon in Europe.  The map is even the same.

It is. However from what I read the AI is a killer and Britain will keep the player on his toes with his diplomatic clout. I liked how the boardgame (and PC port) operationalizes that reality; after all Napoleon was crushing piecemeal foes that on paper should have defeated France, had they been united and well-coordinated. However, I am still in doubt on how the game represents the sheer manpower advantage France had over his opponents combined.

The fact that only France is playable does iff me, but if succesful a Britain DLC is on the cards.

If you have the time and inclination an AAR thread for this game would be much appreciated  :)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Archy

Counting te days to the release of Banner Saga 2. :cool:
Banner saga is one of the few games I ever completed. Loved it. I like the fantasy Viking and saga setting. Curious about the changes in battle.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Did they sort out the AI then? Didnt the devs say last month it might not be ready at launch? And well in Feb they said it would be out last month...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Sweet.  RDR was so completely badass.

celedhring

If only they found it in their kind hearts to release it on PC...