News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Yeah, I will try to stick with MP for now, though supposedly the campaign is better this time. I picked dwarfs because they're sturdier than the other races and having block in a new team is just so good. And they work well with my play style - I prefer running game over passing game, and while dwarfs are slow they can grind opponents down fairly well to score late winning TDs.

Speaking of sports games - NBA 2k16 is coming out soon. I'm not interested in basketball, but this bit caught my eye:

Featuring an all-new MyCAREER experience written, directed and produced by acclaimed filmmaker Spike Lee.
:huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

What games are you guys talking about?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2015, 04:36:15 PM
Also, BB2 is now live.

How is the multiplayer?  Can we get enough people to try a Languish League? :hmm:  :P

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on September 22, 2015, 04:36:15 PM
Also, BB2 is now live. I played with my dwarf team (Beered Patrol) against Dark Elves and murdered him. Quite literally. He started out with possession but got stuck in my defense. Dwarfs being sturdy and all of them starting with the block ability can be pretty tough to crack. That stall turned into a bloody brawl. After the first half he could only field 5 players (2 knock out, 1 dead, 3 injured - one of the injured was also dead, but got revived by apothecary) vs. my 9. After I beat up his remainders at the start of the 2nd half (and I had ball possession) he conceded the match. I have one dwarf on the disabled list with a smashed hand but no long term damage.

Started a High Elf team in the big open MP league. Got a dwarf opponent.

I got quite unlucky and lost the ball on his endzone early, then fought for a draw first half.

I thought I would have a murderous time to defend it to draw in second half, but the guy while clearly having a good idea on how to play dwarves, got into what seems to be a common theme with rookie bashy team coaches: got mesmerised by all the brawling and made stupid risky attacks before doing risk-free positional moves.

I won 2-0 ^_^

Syt

Lost 1-0 against Skaven yesterday. Mostly because I
- am very rusty still
- I decided to run the ball on the sideline and couldn't get away before getting pushed off field
- he played good defense, blocking a few key players but keeping a defensive line a square away from me - can't really dodge past him, and only few options to open a corridor

I killed two of his players, though, and injured one for permanent damage, so I consider it a moral victory. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

This is so true. As popular as the pixel aesthetic is for indie games (and I don't have anything against it per se), they fail to take into account what those pixels looked like on a CRT screen.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Ah and I won 2-1 against an Orc team. Which I am happy for considering he managed more successful dodges and passes than I did. :P

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on September 24, 2015, 08:05:53 AM
This is so true. As popular as the pixel aesthetic is for indie games (and I don't have anything against it per se), they fail to take into account what those pixels looked like on a CRT screen.

Yeah, modern retro is just so....smooth. And nice.
But I do prefer it.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Matrix has released the Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985.

I might get it for a lightweight distraction. However, IIRC the series East Front II, West Front, Rising Sun did not model command and control well. I'll have to pull the Rising Sun Manual from the downstairs tomb to check.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Galciv III is on sale, -50%.  Good time to buy it if you want it, but I wouldn't call it ready to play yet.  Maybe in a week or two, when patch 1.4 comes out.   Until then, chances are you'll encounter a broken AI.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

Sorcerer King is on sale too. Worth getting?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on September 24, 2015, 08:05:53 AM

Yeah, sometimes game advertised as 8-bit styled, yet even a Megadrive would not have such fine graphics, much less a Nec PC Engline.
Pixels look way worse on flat screens displays than CRTs, without even the connection quality (SCART/RGB/composite etc.) That's the real problem with retro gaming, try hooking up a Super Nintendo or even an old Playstation on a modern TV. Nothing an old CRT or a scaler for the pesky 240p resolution plus scanlines can't solve though.

Syt

Been watching a few FIFA 16 videos. My general impression was that it doesn't look great, and that some of the animations were off (bad transitions, or players looking wooden).

Then I looked at NBA 2k16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=5&v=-5P1HTI_WdI

Why can't EA Sports games look like that? Can't be for lack of money.
—Stephen Jay Gould