Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on September 13, 2021, 04:29:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2021, 01:34:27 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2021, 12:23:13 PM
It's a stupid complaint. Actual strongmen such as in the world's strongest man contest, as opposed to body builders (oh look at my muscles) , do have this build.

An actual Thor looks more like what a one would expect.

https://www.sportbible.com/boxing/boxing-news-hafthor-the-mountain-bjornsson-shows-off-remarkable-77lb-weight-loss-20210510
Yeah I had this guy in mind specifically. Quite a difference between his competition look and when he drops the weight

As a God of War, fighting is probably important rather than just lifting heavy things off the ground.  :P

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 14, 2021, 10:25:28 AM
It's a stupid complaint. Actual strongmen such as in the world's strongest man contest, as opposed to body builders (oh look at my muscles) , do have this build.

https://www.sportbible.com/boxing/boxing-news-hafthor-the-mountain-bjornsson-shows-off-remarkable-77lb-weight-loss-20210510
Yeah I had this guy in mind specifically. Quite a difference between his competition look and when he drops the weight

As a God of War, fighting is probably important rather than just lifting heavy things off the ground.  :P
Ah. I thought you were agreeing with my post.
I'd imagine the muscles for armed fighting have more in common with lifting and throwing stuff than they do boxing.
Especially in a viking context: weight is useful in the shield wall.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on September 14, 2021, 01:16:35 PM
I'd imagine the muscles for armed fighting have more in common with lifting and throwing stuff than they do boxing.

Are there any good viking shield walls in pop culture?

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 14, 2021, 10:25:28 AM

Thor isn't a god of war, IIRC not even in the God of War take on Norse gods.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

I have never played the game.  Just going with the name of the game.

The Minsky Moment

Almost every source we have about the Norse gods dates well into the Christian era and contact with Christianity is likely to have influenced how they were viewed and described, so one can only speculate at how they were conceived and worshipped during the pre-Christian era.  Thor was probably a weather/sky God like Zeus/Jupiter/Yahweh and the one contemporaneous written description of the Temple of Uppsala identifies him as the central God, with Odin identified as the war God at his side.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on September 14, 2021, 01:59:48 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 14, 2021, 01:16:35 PM

Are there any good viking shield walls in pop culture?

I'm sure there are but I'm struggling to think of one.
I think in latter series the last kingdom finally got book accurate? (the first battle in the show is is a disaster for the shield wall and any accuracy ).
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Yeah, when their budget improved and they could hire more extras, Last Kingdom did a pretty good shield wall at one point.  That first battle was low budget.

Habbaku

Better than Game of Thrones where they straight-up skipped battles in the beginning and reduced things like the tournament and Robert's hunting party.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 14, 2021, 08:28:55 PM
Almost every source we have about the Norse gods dates well into the Christian era and contact with Christianity is likely to have influenced how they were viewed and described, so one can only speculate at how they were conceived and worshipped during the pre-Christian era.  Thor was probably a weather/sky God like Zeus/Jupiter/Yahweh and the one contemporaneous written description of the Temple of Uppsala identifies him as the central God, with Odin identified as the war God at his side.

Thor is certainly a war god.  The Norse had lots of war gods.  They really liked war.  Thor is the Norse variation of a much earlier thunder/war PIE (proto-indo-European) God named Perkunas (or something like that).  The Baltic version, Perun, retained part of his old name.  Perkunas was associated with lighting, oak trees and hitting stuff.  Zeus and Jupiter became associated with thunder and lightning through the influence of West Asian thunder gods like Yahwah and Baal Hadad.  Thunder was probably not the original function as their proto-type was god of the bright, daytime sky.

Zeus and Jupiter have a very old pedigree coming from the PIE.  They are decedents of a PIE deity know as "Dyeus Pater" (or something like that).  The name meant "sky father" and he was sort of the leader of the gods.  Dyeus has a Norse  decedent as well: Tyr.  Tyr seems to have lost his most of his original function and now is sort of a generic war god.  That and the god of stick-your-hand-in-a-wolf's-mouth.  He has an English cognate as well: Teus. which is why Tuesday is so named.

The Romans believed that their gods were universal but just had different names in different culture.  They consider Thor to be the same as Hercules, Tyr was the same as Mars and Odin was the same as Mercury. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 15, 2021, 05:36:05 PM
Yeah, when their budget improved and they could hire more extras, Last Kingdom did a pretty good shield wall at one point.  That first battle was low budget.
"This is your BBC" :lol: :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

I have once again bought a good, fun reasonably big game and become entirely obsessed with the mini-game. In this case I bought Judgement and now mainly play mahjong on it :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!