News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

From tomorrow, you shall be able to link your Game Pass account to your EA Play account and gain access to the base EA subscription's games.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2021, 04:33:25 PM
Disco Elysium Final Cut, adding some quests and, most notably, full voice acting will come out 30th March.

I'm not sure how I feel about full voice acting in this game. I'm not sure if it would have been nearly as introspective for me if it had this from the start.
I'll play it again.  I loved that game.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on March 18, 2021, 04:30:38 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on March 18, 2021, 04:17:28 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2021, 04:28:14 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 17, 2021, 04:20:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 15, 2021, 07:38:49 AM
One thing I'm not getting amidst flight sim and truck sim and their impressive realistic graphics and weak gameplay (not the point, I know) is why can't a more active game do the same?
When you have games set in real world cities they're usually shrunken and altered versions.

Your question contains the answer - "weak gameplay."

It is hard, resource intensive work to populate an open world.

Daggerfall, and before that Elite took a stab at handling this procedurally, with mixed results. Similar with No Man's Sky to name a more modern example.

And as I mentioned, Cyberpunk 2077. Very big and populated with non-interactable cardboard cutouts. At least in Daggerfall you could actually talk to every NPC and ask various generic questions!

Do you go about a real city striking up conversations with randoms?

No, but I might strike up a conversation in a bar, a night club, or another similar venue. :P

Solmyr

On recommendation from people regarding Curious Expedition 2, I picked up a similar exploration roguelike, Renowned Explorers: International Society. It's quite fun as well. :)

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2021, 08:01:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2021, 01:14:47 PM
while I didn't enjoy the book
:o

I've read maybe 200 science fiction novels and it's the greatest of all of them, by far.

I think you chose the wrong 200 books!  :lol:

I enjoyed Dune, but it isn't in my top ten or so.  Pohl Anderson's A Knight of Ghosts and Shadows and A Stone in Heaven, for instance, are both much better (in characters, setting, and plot).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Most of what you do in an open world game you wouldn't do in a real city...

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on March 19, 2021, 02:06:50 PM

Maybe you wouldn't, coward.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

Quote from: Habbaku on March 19, 2021, 02:09:16 PM

If you would, why are you doing it in game rather than in real life?

PDH

Quote from: Jacob on March 19, 2021, 08:10:14 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 19, 2021, 02:09:16 PM

If you would, why are you doing it in game rather than in real life?

Maybe he is really fucking lazy.  (got your back here)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

Point is, if you want a realistic city crowd it is perfectly suitable to have a silent (as in, not telling you more than a random sentence) mass.

Solmyr

Still, you can usually do more in a big city than just walk around silently. :P

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on March 20, 2021, 06:48:01 AM
Still, you can usually do more in a big city than just walk around silently. :P

You might want to play one of these Yakuza games.

Solmyr

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on March 17, 2021, 04:20:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 15, 2021, 07:38:49 AM
One thing I'm not getting amidst flight sim and truck sim and their impressive realistic graphics and weak gameplay (not the point, I know) is why can't a more active game do the same?
When you have games set in real world cities they're usually shrunken and altered versions.

Your question contains the answer - "weak gameplay."

It is hard, resource intensive work to populate an open world.
Aye. But when flight sim is showing the whole world...
Why can't there be Eg a military flight sim doing the same over a realistic Germany or so?
A GTA like in a realistic small county. Easy enough to generate the buildings and genericise them a bit, it's just the street plan and key landmarks that are significant.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on March 19, 2021, 02:06:50 PM

Yeah, I used to think that as well.  One day though, a perfect stranger walked up to me and asked if I would go into a warehouse and kill all the rats in exchange for a belt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017