News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

See.... I don't get the relaxation out of it.
I know there's a time limit. I know there are things to achieve. So I end up playing for maximum efficiency.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2019, 12:37:20 PM
Each game has a timer?

But in Stardew Valley, it's day/night cycle.

I'm with Tyr, I don't find that relaxing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2019, 02:48:46 PM
Each game has a timer?

True, but it's low stakes.  Who really cares if you don't get everything that you wanted to done in the day.

However, what drove me to quit Stardew Valley was the damn fishing mini-game.  I hated it, but in order to proceed with many of the quests you needed to fish.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

For under 10 bucks you can buy a Napoleonic multiplayer shooter. Gameplay looks ok, but ahistorical:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/589290/Holdfast_Nations_At_War/

For a bit more there's War of Rights, a American Civil War multiplayer shooter that aims at recreating a more historically accurate experience:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/424030/War_of_Rights/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2019, 03:29:47 PM
Each game has a timer?

True, but it's low stakes.  Who really cares if you don't get everything that you wanted to done in the day.

However, what drove me to quit Stardew Valley was the damn fishing mini-game.  I hated it, but in order to proceed with many of the quests you needed to fish.

Oh, you just have limited time in a day to get things done but no limit on the number of days - that seems fine and I would find that relaxing if I needed to pass some time.  But I might want to go fishing for real.  :D

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2019, 03:40:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2019, 03:29:47 PM
Each game has a timer?

Oh, you just have limited time in a day to get things done but no limit on the number of days - that seems fine and I would find that relaxing if I needed to pass some time.  But I might want to go fishing for real.  :D

Well there's 28 days in a season, and at heart it's a farming game so you need to make sure you get your crops planted early enough to be able to harvest in time.  And there's no limit on the number of years you can play so if you don't get something done in one summer, there's always next year.

But at least when I'd play, you'd wake up in the morning and go water your crops/harvest.  Then spend the afternoon going to town, or fishing, or maybe chopping some wood, until it's time to go back home and go to bed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

It's a game where doing work is it's own reward. The only constraints are money and time. Just like real life  :lol:

Oddly enough I like the fishing minigame a lot. Better than the combat, certainly.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 04, 2019, 03:40:13 PM

That's my issue with all fishing games & mini-games, just makes me want to go fish for real.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Speaking of relaxing games, here's a fun little time waster:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1046030/ISLANDERS/

You have a small island, and get points for adjacency bonuses of your buildings. You need to hit certain scores to unlock the next set of buildings. Once you have placed all buildings (or can't place any more) without hitting the next level you start over. Low stakes, fun little city builder for EUR 5.- (actually less than that, at current sale).

Steam rating:

QuoteRECENT REVIEWS:
Overwhelmingly Positive (1,710)
ALL REVIEWS:
Overwhelmingly Positive (3,747)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 03, 2019, 08:34:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2019, 07:01:06 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 03, 2019, 05:32:54 PM
Stardew Valley might be the greatest game ever made.

What do you like about it?

It's as intense or as relaxing as you want it to be. Whatever mood I'm in, if I want to minmax my income or if I just want a relaxing time fishing, the game accommodates. I can futz around town and get married or ignore everyone and act like a crazy hermit who lives on the outskirts of town. Plus, I can play it while watching TV or listening to a podcast and not miss anything.

It is good relaxing fun.  Thanks for the recommendation!

FunkMonk

I picked up Football Manager 2019 for $13.50 and I am an idiot for doing so because now all I think about in my spare time is who to sign before the season starts.

Haven't picked up FM since 2014 or 15. I think in one of those I had a few hundred hours of game time :bleeding:

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 05, 2019, 10:37:32 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 03, 2019, 08:34:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2019, 07:01:06 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 03, 2019, 05:32:54 PM
Stardew Valley might be the greatest game ever made.

What do you like about it?

It's as intense or as relaxing as you want it to be. Whatever mood I'm in, if I want to minmax my income or if I just want a relaxing time fishing, the game accommodates. I can futz around town and get married or ignore everyone and act like a crazy hermit who lives on the outskirts of town. Plus, I can play it while watching TV or listening to a podcast and not miss anything.

It is good relaxing fun.  Thanks for the recommendation!

For me, it's the ultimate "got home from work and need to decompress for an hour" video game.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2019, 03:36:09 PM
For a bit more there's War of Rights, a American Civil War multiplayer shooter that aims at recreating a more historically accurate experience:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/424030/War_of_Rights/
that looks really good, for an alpha!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.