News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on June 29, 2019, 10:57:14 AM
How so?

It has some sorta interesting mechanics that have no connection whatsoever to the subject matter it is portraying.

The first time I played, I won, and I wasn't sure if that meant that I started the war, stopped the war, avoided the war, or what.

It's just some mechanics loosely based on Twilight Struggle mechanics, but without any actual connection to anything it is supposedly portraying. I would probably like the game better if it wasn't making any pretense to any theme at all.

Further, even if you get beyond the theme, the various pieces don't even make any sense in relation to each other.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2019, 10:32:51 AM
Yeah, but it kind of sucks.

Yeah. I finished the tutorial, but only barely avoided falling asleep.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

It was kind of fun to play around with a few times, but Berkut is right, the theme is totally incidental.  Why is "Montgomery" significant and why should I put tokens there other than because it has a bell on it?  What is the role of Northern State Houses and why can they be used to block whatever Montgomery is doing?  It's not clear who or what you are playing and how they are exercising control over (e.g.) "Newspapers" or "Abolitionists" or "Texas" You could just name all the Boxes A through L and superimpose them on a map of Mongolia, it would play the same way and mostly feel the same way..
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Shenmue 3, neverending story.

Years ago, the dude behind Shenmue 1 & 2 said he would try to crowdfund a 3rd entry in the series. There's apparently fans of the series (I never played it), so to Kickstarter he went. Sony, seeing how popular the campaign was, also invested money. Ys Net, the developers went to work.

People got to choose their rewards, whether they wanted a physical version, or a Steam key, the usual stuff.

Then DeepSilver offered to publish the game. And signed a one year exclusivity deal with Epic. So a lot of backers said, "But I don't want to use Epic, I want the Steam key that I was promised."

"Sorry," said Deepsilver/Ys Net, "Also: no refunds."

Tim Sweeney, the head of Epic said that it's Valve being unreasonable, because Valve won't let developers generate Steam keys for games not being sold on the platform. :huh: He accuses Steam of "trapping" Kickstarter games. (Steam allows devs to create as many keys as they want that they can sell elsewhere, e.g. their own website, or key shops like HumbleBundle, as long as the game is also available for purchase on Steam.)

So, things got a bit heated, and Deepsilver/Ys now offer refunds, or - alternatively - a Steam key in a year after release (I think together with an Epic key now?).

They also clarified what the physical copies would entail. Keep in mind, last year, someone brought that up:

However, the Kickstarter page now states this:

QuoteThe PC Physical version will be delivered on disk. However, the disk will contain the Epic Games Store installer and not the actual game data.

Now, I don't have a particular horse in this race, as I don't follow these games or intend to play them. However, this is a prime example of how to destroy goodwill for Kickstarter funding campaigns. Granted, Kickstarters are always dicey for the people funding them (and I've been lucky with the few projects I paid for), but this is currently creating an image of first asking fans to fund the game, then getting money from Sony, and Deepsilver, and now Epic paying to Deepsilver, with the ones who actually supported the project early and helping it get the attention it did now falling of the train.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

*shrug* If Darth Vader can do it then why not other people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Steam is trapping games?
But Epic signed the exclusivity....
Which is lame. Hope I can find a physical copy that doesn't just demand a epic install
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Stardew Valley might be the greatest game ever made.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 03, 2019, 05:32:54 PM

What do you like about it?

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2019, 07:01:06 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 03, 2019, 05:32:54 PM

What do you like about it?

It's as intense or as relaxing as you want it to be. Whatever mood I'm in, if I want to minmax my income or if I just want a relaxing time fishing, the game accommodates. I can futz around town and get married or ignore everyone and act like a crazy hermit who lives on the outskirts of town. Plus, I can play it while watching TV or listening to a podcast and not miss anything.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.