News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Do you think the paper was yellow-brown like that at the time? I just figured it was like that because I was reading it 150 years later but it was white at the time.

Or was 19th century paper just like that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Tyr on September 14, 2018, 05:34:50 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 14, 2018, 02:11:23 AM
New tactical civil war game in the works, dev diaries/blog here: http://www.grandtactician.com/thecivilwar/blog/

It has dispatches :w00t:

Younger wargamers may struggle with the font. :P

Damn right.  Half the game would be spent squinting at these messages.
THat looks cool.

Hopefully they will be smart enough to combine historic period art with the ability to turn that off/on when it comes to actual important content where clarity matters.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

If they are smart, when you pass your cursor over the dispatch it will display the gist of what it says.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on September 14, 2018, 05:14:59 AM
The Forza Horizon 4 demo is good fun, and it looks very pretty (I run it on beyond Ultra settings at 1080p on my GTX1080 and don't dip below 60 FPS) if you like driving around the British countryside. The last Forza game I played was on the 360, but unless there's any microtransaction nonsense coming, I will probably pick this up. I like arcadish, pretty, free roaming driving games. :)

FH4 won't have microtransactions

If this is crossplay we could share avatars. I have a Xbox to play Forza games, so I am of course getting this one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2018, 09:01:51 AM
Do you think the paper was yellow-brown like that at the time? I just figured it was like that because I was reading it 150 years later but it was white at the time.

Or was 19th century paper just like that?

I could have been that colour originally. Cheaper kinds of paper, like the paper you'd use for notes, contained more lignin which makes it darker.

If there are different shades of yellow or brown it's more likely because of age.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Picked up Rising Storm 2: Vietnam on sale for $8 on Steam. The meatgrinder is real and it's spectacular. Most fun I've had in a Battlefield-type game in a long time.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Wait 50% of Nubian generals were women? Or 50% of the 15% so 7.5% of their generals. Interesting...

Anyway how typical. You wonder when people will tire of it all.

Solmyr

Does anyone actually read Steam reviews?

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on September 25, 2018, 09:55:37 AM

People who just look around to find games to play might. I don't have time for just randomly playing games anymore.

But I cannot imagine many people look at Steam reviews for a well known game like Total War: Rome 2.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2018, 10:09:10 AM

People who just look around to find games to play might. I don't have time for just randomly playing games anymore.

But I cannot imagine many people look at Steam reviews for a well known game like Total War: Rome 2.

They might in a "the media say this is great, but what do players say?" kind of way.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

I guess it's less a problem in the case of this particular game, but Steam reviews, the overall review score I mean, can totally destroy a game. Mob rule absolutely works with it.

Razgovory

Occasionally, but they aren't very useful.  Half of them are like "Yeah, I played this game like 600 hours and I loved it but they nerfed wigwams so I'm giving it one star".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017