What do you foreign type people eat for breakfast?

Started by Caliga, June 16, 2012, 08:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on June 18, 2012, 03:31:57 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2012, 04:11:42 PM
Taking the replies as a whole, not enough fibre (roughage) and a bit too much processed read meats ?

Eating cereal was invented by Will Keith Kellogg to prevent masturbation and leapt upon to support the farming community. Breakfasting on meat and eggs happened for centuries beforehand and has recently been proven to result in weight loss due to feeling fuller so not snacking, and reduced cholesterol.

I eat something different most days. I had a bacon omelette on Saturday, boiled eggs and toast on Sunday (I only eat the yolks) and cereal (Oatibix with milk and honey) today.

A few times a year I'll go out for a full English - two bacon, one sausage, fried egg, toast, fried mushrooms, grilled tomato and baked beans. Usually swiftly followed by a lunchtime pint.

I believe baked beans are considered a vegetable rather than a breakfast item in other parts of the world. I remember it horrifying one American friend.

And which of us is the fitter one ?  :hmm:

The Kellogg anecdote is a good story, but people have been eating grains in one form or another for rather a long time, the Scots and oats spring to mind.  :bowler:

Besides, my point wasn't about manufactured breakfast cereals, but about insufficient roughage in the diet and the over consumption of read meats 'our' diets.  Are these not real issues ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Sadly my usual breakfast is a sugar-free Rockstar. On the weekend I get creative though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Brazen

Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2012, 10:48:00 AM

The Kellogg anecdote is a good story, but people have been eating grains in one form or another for rather a long time, the Scots and oats spring to mind.  :bowler:

Besides, my point wasn't about manufactured breakfast cereals, but about insufficient roughage in the diet and the over consumption of read meats 'our' diets.  Are these not real issues ?
Define "fitter" (in any way other than cycling a long distance) :hmm:

RED meat, and indeed eggs, were demonised for their effect on cholesterol, but it has since been found that trans fats and sugar have a far more detrimental effect. Naturally existing cholesterol in food does not enter the blood stream and clog arteries.

Fibre is better consumed through fruit and veg which have loads of other nutrients than cereals, and tend to be consumed in meals later in the day.

Iormlund

If anything, our body should be better at dealing with meat. We've eaten other animals for all our existence while agriculture has been practiced for a fraction of that time.

You can certainly live off an animal-based diet. I'm living proof of it. Haven't been able to eat vegetables or fruits for almost 5 years now -- first due to inflammation, then because I've got a bowel diameter of just 3-4 mm at the scar left after surgery, so any tiny amount of fiber can send me to the ER with a blockage.
Yet despite that blood work results always land within norm. I don't follow any special diet nor take supplements and I'm missing a chunk of small bowel.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on June 18, 2012, 11:13:04 AM

RED meat, and indeed eggs, were demonised for their effect on cholesterol, but it has since been found that trans fats and sugar have a far more detrimental effect. Naturally existing cholesterol in food does not enter the blood stream and clog arteries.

Fibre is better consumed through fruit and veg which have loads of other nutrients than cereals, and tend to be consumed in meals later in the day.

Plus there's new reports saying that Trans fat is actually not that bad.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 18, 2012, 11:41:42 AM
Oh, FFS, just make up your mind, people.  :rolleyes:

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on June 18, 2012, 11:43:08 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 18, 2012, 11:41:42 AM
Oh, FFS, just make up your mind, people.  :rolleyes:

I also read one that claimed that Whole Grains aren't good for us either.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on June 18, 2012, 11:13:04 AM

Bye whatever yardstick you care to name.  ;)

The major issue with processed red meat is the increased cancer risks, and at quite low levels ie above 1 lb of it per week.

mongers

Quote from: PDH on June 18, 2012, 11:45:08 AM
Research provided by the Trans Fat Institute.

Yuk, obese gender-conflicted people.  :P

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2012, 08:31:35 AM
So this morning Princesca and I were eating breakfast and I mentioned that I thought it might be neat for us to experiment with different ethnic breakfasts... we've done plenty of experimentation with international cuisine for dinner, so much so that a number of favorite dishes have made it into our 'usual' meal rotation--examples include feijoada (Brazil), turos czusza (Hungary), frappe coffee (Greece) and cafe cubano (Cuba).

I started with wikipedia and although there are plenty of articles about ethnic cuisines, many of them make no mention at all about breakfast.  So I figured I'd try polling Languish.

Oh, and if anyone is interested, for breakfast I had bacon, fried eggs, a hash brown, scrapple (which if you've never heard of it, is kind of like white pudding with cornmeal instead of oatmeal), and coffee with almond milk.
half the time, I don't eat.
The other half, usually 2-3 toasts with either natural peanut butter, sugar free jam or cretons.
If I eat outside of the house, it will be bacon&eggs (turned).
On Sundays, if I eat, it will usually be bigger: bacon, eggs, sausage, ham and meat pie.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.