What do you foreign type people eat for breakfast?

Started by Caliga, June 16, 2012, 08:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Fair enough.

I can't sit around- much less work- for hours before breakfast. Meri likes to make these big brunches when we have weekend guests. I love the food she puts on but I usually have to eat something before it's ready.

Martinus

It depends but usually something along the lines of a croissant (or some other fancy bread) with ham or cheese, eggs (fried, scrambled or hard boiled), and coffee.

Monoriu

I usually have Japanese style buns, basically bread with different condiments: BBQ pork, corn, potato and bacon, sausage, minced chicken, curry, red bean paste, chestnut paste, etc.  Sometimes I have oatmeal or museli with skimmed milk.  I usually don't drink anything for breakfast (which is considered odd). 

Once a week I have a HK style big breakfast.  A bit of a mix and match between western and Chinese.  There is a western plate with eggs, ham and bread.  Then there is a Chinese bowl with different kinds of noodle in soup.  Could be pasta in tomato broth, could be traditional Chinese noodles, or Japanese instant noodles. 

Sometimes we have a dim sum breakfast during weekends. 

Shanghainese breakfast is cool once in a while.  They like to have soy milk, dumplings, sticky rice rolled with spicy cabbage, shredded pork jerky, pancakes with spring onion and egg. 

Traditional Cantonese breakfast is congee with fried Chinese bread.  A local HK favourite is the "pineapple" bun that has absolutely nothing to do with pineapples.  It is a round shaped bun with a kind of crispy and sweet toppings.  A lot of people like to put a thick slice of butter inside the bun and heat it.   

Traditional Japanese breakfast is usually steamed rice with a huge variety of pickels, plus congee, tofu, egg and fish.  I used to have really low opinion of Japanese breakfast, until I had some really good ones at some ryokans.  Japanese breakfast is usually easy to digest. 

Zanza

I had Singaporean breakfast with a colleague once. It was some kind of soy sauce with a half-boiled egg which was mixed with the soy sauce and then slurped.

That was the only time I had Singaporean breakfast during my time in Singapore. :P

I loved the cream-cheese with salmon or ham'n egg bagels when I lived on Long Island.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2012, 11:03:29 AM
Feijoada isn't a breakfast meal.  It's like a Sunday lunch :mellow:

I think when Cal says he has it for "dinner," that can include Sunday lunch. :mellow:

Dinner is just the chief meal of the day.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Acceptable salmon/cream cheese bagels in Vienna cost over 5 EUR. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PRC

Today it is 1 over-easy egg, bacon, peanut butter toast, grape tomatoes and some pummelo.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on June 16, 2012, 12:16:00 PM
Acceptable salmon/cream cheese bagels in Vienna cost over 5 EUR. :(
I am not even sure if I can get any here.

If someone craves a bagel and happens to be southern Nassau County, I really recommend this place: http://www.libagelcafe.com/bellmore.asp

Caliga

Yeah, I know.  My comment about feijoada wasn't really connected to my question about breakfast.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2012, 03:46:24 PM
Yeah, I know.  My comment about feijoada wasn't really connected to my question about breakfast.
I thought you just had massive breakfasts.  And I wanted you to know I'd judged :P :hug:

I live near two competing 24 Bagel shops that do good cream cheese-salmon bagels for around £1.20-1.40 :mmm:

Their salt beef's good too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2012, 03:52:14 PM
I thought you just had massive breakfasts.  And I wanted you to know I'd judged :P :hug:
Of course you did.  This is Languish... what else would you do? :)

Alexandru H.

We don't have a true tradition of eating breakfast. Most of our food is delivered as a brunch-type, eaten in a big gathering, in family or with friends, talking about stuff, drinking heavily etc... Nowadays, we pretty much adopted the Occidental diet: bacon, frankfurter, omlette, cheese etc... Nothing really original.

mongers

Taking the replies as a whole, not enough fibre (roughage) and a bit too much processed read meats ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2012, 04:11:42 PM
Taking the replies as a whole, not enough fibre (roughage) and a bit too much processed read meats ?
That would describe the Western diet in general my friend. :showoff:

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2012, 04:13:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2012, 04:11:42 PM
That would describe the Western diet in general my friend. :showoff:

I'm suggesting people look at what they eat and make small changes to improve things a bit.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"