What do you foreign type people eat for breakfast?

Started by Caliga, June 16, 2012, 08:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

So this morning Princesca and I were eating breakfast and I mentioned that I thought it might be neat for us to experiment with different ethnic breakfasts... we've done plenty of experimentation with international cuisine for dinner, so much so that a number of favorite dishes have made it into our 'usual' meal rotation--examples include feijoada (Brazil), turos czusza (Hungary), frappe coffee (Greece) and cafe cubano (Cuba).

I started with wikipedia and although there are plenty of articles about ethnic cuisines, many of them make no mention at all about breakfast.  So I figured I'd try polling Languish.

Oh, and if anyone is interested, for breakfast I had bacon, fried eggs, a hash brown, scrapple (which if you've never heard of it, is kind of like white pudding with cornmeal instead of oatmeal), and coffee with almond milk.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Coffee, boiled egg (sometimes), dark bread with turkey sausage, müsli with soy fruit yogurt.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Oatmeal porridge, a stable Danish breakfast. Served with raisins and milk. Maybe add butter and/or cinnamon sugar, depending on how dark and cold it is outside.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

Quote from: Liep on June 16, 2012, 08:39:42 AM
Oatmeal porridge, a stable Danish breakfast. Served with raisins and milk. Maybe add butter and/or cinnamon sugar, depending on how dark and cold it is outside.
Sounds like a typical breakfast I'd have as a kid on weekdays.  Weekends we typically had 'English' type breakfasts like what I mentioned in the OP.

Caliga

On a related note, Dole has started labeling their organic bananas (yes I know, I know, 'organic' is a farce) with the actual farm they came from.  The bananas we got yesterday came from a farm called Asociación Bananeros Orgánicos Señor de Chocán San Vicente Piedra Rodada in San Vicente, Sullana, Piura, in northern Peru. :)

Iormlund

I rarely eat breakfast since surgery, unless I'm out of town. In that case I'll have orange juice, café con leche, and something to eat like buttered toast and/or croissants.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2012, 08:31:35 AM

Oh, and if anyone is interested, for breakfast I had bacon, fried eggs, a hash brown, scrapple (which if you've never heard of it, is kind of like white pudding with cornmeal instead of oatmeal), and coffee with almond milk.

That is a lot of food.

Obviously I'm not a foreign type person, but I've started drinking an Odwalla smoothie for breakfast at about 9:30. On the downside, it has a lot of sugar, but that also gives me a kick to keep me going until lunch time (I usually eat around 11:45, which I know is a lot earlier than some foreigners). I've also cut out all coffee, and for me the sugar is an effective caffeine alternative.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Either cereals/müsli with milk or yoghurt or rolls/croissants/bretzels with butter or nutella.

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on June 16, 2012, 09:08:52 AM
That is a lot of food.
During the week my typical breakfast is a banana and espresso.

mongers

150g muesli with 250g full fat milk, coffee.

Every other day I have instead 125g weatabix or another wheat-based cereal with 200g full fat milk, coffee.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

I usually don't eat breakfast but if I do it's something like egg and bacon or dinner leftovers. Sometimes coffee with a good helping of unsalted butter in it.  :licklips:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Feijoada isn't a breakfast meal.  It's like a Sunday lunch :mellow:

I don't often have breakfast.  Normally it'll be either porridge and honey or my amazing homemade bread and honey :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Maximus

Anything is a breakfast meal if you eat it for breakfast.

For example this morning I had a leftover pork and bean burrito from last night's dinner.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maximus on June 16, 2012, 11:07:47 AM
Anything is a breakfast meal if you eat it for breakfast.

For example this morning I had a leftover pork and bean burrito from last night's dinner.
Yeah but feijoada's a massive stew of multi-meats and beans with rice, casava flour, a salad and oranges.  It's not leftovers, I've had leftover curry for breakfast.  But in terms of cooking a feijoada takes hours of slow cooking.  So chances are your breakfast's the toast you had while putting it all on the hob :P
Let's bomb Russia!