What do you foreign type people eat for breakfast?

Started by Caliga, June 16, 2012, 08:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

On weekdays, when the kids have to go to school, a bowl of yougurt with musli or oatmeal and raisins on top

On weekends it varies, most often fresh bread or buns with cheese, or jam or honey and tea.

On rare days bacon and eggs

V

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2012, 04:11:42 PM
Taking the replies as a whole, not enough fibre (roughage) and a bit too much processed read meats ?
Eating cereal was invented by Will Keith Kellogg to prevent masturbation and leapt upon to support the farming community. Breakfasting on meat and eggs happened for centuries beforehand and has recently been proven to result in weight loss due to feeling fuller so not snacking, and reduced cholesterol.

I eat something different most days. I had a bacon omelette on Saturday, boiled eggs and toast on Sunday (I only eat the yolks) and cereal (Oatibix with milk and honey) today.

A few times a year I'll go out for a full English - two bacon, one sausage, fried egg, toast, fried mushrooms, grilled tomato and baked beans. Usually swiftly followed by a lunchtime pint.

I believe baked beans are considered a vegetable rather than a breakfast item in other parts of the world. I remember it horrifying one American friend.

katmai

The blood of Gentile newborns....oh wait i'm not Siegy.

About once a month Some hashbrown or corn beef hash or Chorizo and eggs, otherwise a bagel or cereal.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Pedrito

A cup of coffee with milk and three to five biscuits. I valure sleep over nutrition.

On weekends I add fresh seasonal fruit: we're in the middle of cherry season, and starting peach season here :mmm:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Legbiter

Quote from: Brazen on June 18, 2012, 03:31:57 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2012, 04:11:42 PM
Taking the replies as a whole, not enough fibre (roughage) and a bit too much processed read meats ?
Eating cereal was invented by Will Keith Kellogg to prevent masturbation and leapt upon to support the farming community. Breakfasting on meat and eggs happened for centuries beforehand and has recently been proven to result in weight loss due to feeling fuller so not snacking, and reduced cholesterol.

Yep.

Most of what passes for breakfast these days is the nutritional equivalent of Halloween candy. Your orange juice? Liquid fructose. Basically soda with some vitamin C. Breads? Crunchy balls of sugar that spike your glucose levels faster than regular white sugar. And then people eat them with skim milk and fat-free cream cheese, just to make sure they spike their blood sugar even more quickly.

Today I had lamb cutlets leftover from dinner last night with a bell pepper and some spinach. Put some EVOO on the spinach to make it more appetizing.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2012, 03:52:14 PM
I live near two competing 24 Bagel shops that do good cream cheese-salmon bagels for around £1.20-1.40 :mmm:

We need competition for our local bagel shop, they're good, but £5 for a bagel is just not right.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

We have a couple of bagel shops, fortunately. One's "Books & Bagels":
http://www.booksnbagels.com/eng/

QuoteBooks and Bagels – One Stop Shop for Judaism.

In 2004, Books&Bagels, a combination Jewish book store and coffee shop, was established in the Enge quartier of Zurich. Soon it became a popular meeting point for Jewish and Non-Jewish people alike looking to treat themselves to something special. These days our customers come to us not just for our wide range of Jewish literature, Judacia, Toys and their daily Jewish needs and but also for our freshly baked bagels. More than a few people claim that our bagels are the best in town.

Due to the popularity of the store, people from other cities have demanded their very own Books&Bagels too. So far we've opened stores in Tzfat, Vienna and Manhattan.

We have placed our catalogue online, so that you can access Books&Bagels' range of products whenever and wherever you want.

If you can't find the product of your choice, don't hesitate to contact us, we'll be happy to assist you.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

For the vast majority of the days, my breakfast is a cup of coffee.

Grey Fox

Crepes, French toats & English type with marple sirup.

Baked beans :mmm:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

Hey Brazen I think I found the cereal-against-masturbation article.

Quote"Prepackaged and ready-to-eat breakfast cereals began with the American temperance movement in the 19th century. In the 1830s, the Reverend Sylvester Graham preached the virtues of a vegetarian diet to his congregation, and in particular the importance of wholemeal flour. Meat-eating, he said, excited the carnal passions."
[...]
"After Jackson's invention, the Seventh-Day Adventists took up the mission. [...] John Harvey Kellogg...set about devising cures for what he believed were the common ills of the day, in particular constipation and masturbation. In Kellogg's mind, the two were closely linked, the common cause being a lack of fibre, both dietary and moral.

Kellogg experimented in the sanitarium kitchen to produce an easily digested form of cereal. Together with his wife and his younger brother, William Keith, he came up with his own highly profitable Granula, but was promptly sued by Jackson, the original maker of Granula, and had to change the name to Granola."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/nov/23/food-book-extract-felicity-lawrence

Breakfast cereal, including "granola", was a cynical marketing ploy by religious fundamentalists to destroy your sex drive.  :D

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

Putting a sausage in the mouth would certainly excite carnal passions of certain kinds of people. :unsure:

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on June 18, 2012, 08:26:33 AM
Putting a sausage in the mouth would certainly excite carnal passions of certain kinds of people. :unsure:

:face:

No you didnt.  :blink:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 18, 2012, 08:04:05 AM
For the vast majority of the days, my breakfast is a cup of coffee.

A cup of tea with milk here.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

My awesome home-made bread doesn't cause a spike in glucose levels :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!