News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Barry vs. Bubba

Started by derspiess, June 06, 2012, 09:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Comparing Bill Clinton's 8 years against Obama's 3+, who is the better president?

Bill Clinton
26 (78.8%)
Barack Obama
7 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Caliga

Mart, you really need to watch some YouTube videos of Dan Quayle.  Dude was hilarious. :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2012, 02:12:25 AM
The only area where Clinton was better was the economy and that was largely because of external circumstances (like, the world not experiencing a global financial crisis). Obama is better on foreign policy, on gay rights (repeal DADT vs. approve DADT and DOMA), and they both fumbled health care reforms. I think Clinton gets viewed through rose-tinted glasses because to Americans in their 20s and 30s he represents the golden age, before Bush, 911, two wars and a global crisis.

Marty, I think you are off on the gay rights issue. Clinton picked up allowing gays to serve in the military when gay rights weren't an issue and didn't have widespread support. DADT was a compromise he signed which significantly liberalized the status quo. The DOMA was brought up by Republicans back when gay marriage was some fringe notion that wasn't taken seriously, and had Clinton vetoed it he would have not only looked out of touch but also probably been overridden anyway.

Views have changed so much since the early and mid 90s that what was very liberal back then is the conservative position now. I think Clinton took more risks against public opinion on gay rights than Obama has.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2012, 07:15:00 AM
Clinton/Gore pairing was similar to McCain/Palin in that the president was the more senior politician with a bigger centrist appeal, and the veep was younger and radical. On the other hand, Obama/Biden is more like Bush/Cheney, with the charismatic and younger president having a more senior veep whose main role is to advise the president.

:D I don't think you were into the early 90s intricacies of American politics.

Bill Clinton was seen as an inexperienced politician, a young guy with the main experience of being governor of Arkansas (one of our shittiest states). Gore had more time on the national scene, and as a representative of Tennessee was actually somewhat conservative. With his wife he was a leader in the investigation of dangerous rock music subverting our youth, for instance. He has become a lot more radical after leaving Tennessee and elected politics.

Clinton/Gore was about two young southern (read: not liberal) democrats taking the country back for the common people during the recession.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on June 10, 2012, 01:27:18 PM
Views have changed so much since the early and mid 90s that what was very liberal back then is the conservative position now. I think Clinton took more risks against public opinion on gay rights than Obama has.
But by trying to push gays in the military (and allowing many Senate Democrats to grandstand on the issue) Clinton arguably caused more harm than good.  DADT never operated as he and Powell said it would and I think had it not been for that fight in the early 90s we wouldn't have had to wait so long for gays in the military.  I think DOMA was a mistake, though you could be right on the politics.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 10, 2012, 01:27:18 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2012, 02:12:25 AM
The only area where Clinton was better was the economy and that was largely because of external circumstances (like, the world not experiencing a global financial crisis). Obama is better on foreign policy, on gay rights (repeal DADT vs. approve DADT and DOMA), and they both fumbled health care reforms. I think Clinton gets viewed through rose-tinted glasses because to Americans in their 20s and 30s he represents the golden age, before Bush, 911, two wars and a global crisis.

Marty, I think you are off on the gay rights issue. Clinton picked up allowing gays to serve in the military when gay rights weren't an issue and didn't have widespread support. DADT was a compromise he signed which significantly liberalized the status quo. The DOMA was brought up by Republicans back when gay marriage was some fringe notion that wasn't taken seriously, and had Clinton vetoed it he would have not only looked out of touch but also probably been overridden anyway.

Could be that you are right, but I heard/read this characterisation from a lot of US gays, including ones older than me.

Admittedly, as Jon Stewart pointed out, the fact that, when Obama today takes a stand in favour of gay marriage, all that Fox News pundits can do is to accuse him of taking a popular stance and playing it to the public, just goes to show how immense the progress made over the last 10 (not to mention 20) years is.

And it's even greater in countries like Poland where we are catching up quickly.

Frankly, I can't think of a single social/equality issue in the Western history that made such huge popularity gains in such a short time. Even women and blacks took decades to get to the point of equality.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on June 11, 2012, 05:06:54 AMFrankly, I can't think of a single social/equality issue in the Western history that made such huge popularity gains in such a short time. Even women and blacks took decades to get to the point of equality.

That's because homosexuality--unlike being black or female--is a characteristic that that's always been around the political arena.  Plenty of white guys in government have been cocknibblers.

Besides, hysterical latent homosexual preachers and politicians aside, sexuality has always been considered a privacy issue.  You can hide the fact you're a pillowbiter--you can't hide being Shirley Chisholm.  :lol:

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on June 11, 2012, 05:06:54 AM
Frankly, I can't think of a single social/equality issue in the Western history that made such huge popularity gains in such a short time. Even women and blacks took decades to get to the point of equality.
Don't worry.  You'll never really be equal.  You'll be like the guy with those big rings that stretch out his earlobes:  Maybe an equal in the eyes of the law, but not really.  And when the law disappears, so will he.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

I can't really believe Marti.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Interesting factoid that was just on The Daily Run Down:  First US president born in a hospital?  Jimmy Carter, 1924.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on June 11, 2012, 05:06:54 AM

That's because those efforts did most of the work for you. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: garbon on June 11, 2012, 08:12:50 AM
I can't really believe Marti.

No he won't [take it up the ass] ?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.