News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Barry vs. Bubba

Started by derspiess, June 06, 2012, 09:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Comparing Bill Clinton's 8 years against Obama's 3+, who is the better president?

Bill Clinton
26 (78.8%)
Barack Obama
7 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 09, 2012, 07:47:23 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 09, 2012, 07:33:39 PM
If anybody's on the left was messianic recently, it was Gore 2000;  the only real economic populist, but his dire economic warnings sound too much like "we've-had-it-too-good-and-we're-not-going to-take-it-anymore!" to certain ears.

WTF?  :huh:

Al Gore was a champion of market solutions to global warming.  Edwards was the economic populist.  Free college for everyone!
That's a bit like saying John Kerry wasn't a moderate Massachusan, Paul Tsongas was the moderate Massachusan (I have no idea how to spell or say that).  It may be true but it's really, really irrelevant.

What do you mean by market solutions though?

Also Gore's campaign was Shrum-managed so I'm going to go with CdM on this.  It chimes with what I've read elsewhere too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2012, 08:12:19 PM
What do you mean by market solutions though?
Carbon pricing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

If anybody's on the left was messianic recently, it was Gore 2000;  the only real economic populist, but his dire economic warnings sound too much like "we've-had-it-too-good-and-we're-not-going to-take-it-anymore!" to certain ears.

I'm glad to see you are continuing with the strawman that someone said Obama's campaign was messianic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Al Gore was a champion of market solutions to global warming.  Edwards was the economic populist.  Free college for everyone!

And you tore him down, because you just couldn't handle his greatness.

Shame on you.  Shame on America.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

The only area where Clinton was better was the economy and that was largely because of external circumstances (like, the world not experiencing a global financial crisis). Obama is better on foreign policy, on gay rights (repeal DADT vs. approve DADT and DOMA), and they both fumbled health care reforms. I think Clinton gets viewed through rose-tinted glasses because to Americans in their 20s and 30s he represents the golden age, before Bush, 911, two wars and a global crisis.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Edwards was definitely a Norma Rae, but there were very distinct criticisms of Gore's targeting of Big Tobacco, Big Oil, HMOs and the pharmaceutical industry, which hadn't changed from his '92 campaign, which diverged substantially from Clinton's, which was much more GOP-friendly.

Martinus

Clinton/Gore pairing was similar to McCain/Palin in that the president was the more senior politician with a bigger centrist appeal, and the veep was younger and radical. On the other hand, Obama/Biden is more like Bush/Cheney, with the charismatic and younger president having a more senior veep whose main role is to advise the president.

CountDeMoney

Joe Biden is Joe Biden.  That's all that needs to be said.  :D

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2012, 07:29:30 AM
Joe Biden is Joe Biden.  That's all that needs to be said.  :D

I love him. My favorite American veep since I began to notice American veeps (I don't know who was Bush Senior's veep or anyone before him. :P)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2012, 07:34:52 AM
I love him. My favorite American veep since I began to notice American veeps (I don't know who was Bush Senior's veep or anyone before him. :P)

And Reagan's VP was... George Herbert Walker Bush.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?