News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

It's morning in Wisconsin

Started by citizen k, June 05, 2012, 10:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Actually, Democrats can legislate away corporations.  Corporations are creatures of state statutes.  If the Dems wanted to nuke the economy, they could do away with corporations quite easily.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Valmy

There are alot of special interests, particularly corps since they really have to do so to protect themselves, fund both parties.  Got to make sure whoever is in power has your back.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Scipio on June 06, 2012, 08:21:15 AM
Actually, Democrats can legislate away corporations.  Corporations are creatures of state statutes.  If the Dems wanted to nuke the economy, they could do away with corporations quite easily.

Only the ones with no international existence though right?  I mean the big corps have legal existence in, say, Canada as well right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 06, 2012, 08:15:04 AM
Bolded for you. An irrelevant point if no one actually wants to do that. And would, of course be odd, seeing as how many of us are employed by corporations.

Besides, corporations don't have to be anti-Dem. Didn't Obama have to deal with a minor kerfuffle as he received many campaign contributions from Wall Street interests?

What I am saying is, you've got one side that can utilize the power of legislation to eliminate the other side's national campaign finance organizations, while the other side has no equal means to do so.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on June 06, 2012, 08:21:15 AM

Can they legislate away Mssrs Koch and Karl Rove?

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on June 06, 2012, 02:17:36 AM
No, he's right.  Public sector unions should be forbidden.  Just like in the USSR.

Well ok it doesn't really work if: a. everybody works in the public sector and/or b. there is no democratic process.  I mean utlimately the public sector Unions have to obey what the elected officials of the people decide.  If they decide the public interest means benefits have to decrease they cannot morally over-turn a democratic mandate with a strike.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2012, 08:22:38 AM
There are alot of special interests, particularly corps since they really have to do so to protect themselves, fund both parties.  Got to make sure whoever is in power has your back.

Doesn't matter after Citizens United.

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2012, 08:27:27 AM
Well ok it doesn't really work if: a. everybody works in the public sector and/or b. there is no democratic process.  I mean utlimately the public sector Unions have to obey what the elected officials of the people decide.  If they decide the public interest means benefits have to decrease they cannot morally over-turn a democratic mandate with a strike.

Why not? Private sector workers can strike for greater benefits.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2012, 08:25:40 AM
Bolded for you. An irrelevant point if no one actually wants to do that. And would, of course be odd, seeing as how many of us are employed by corporations.

Besides, corporations don't have to be anti-Dem. Didn't Obama have to deal with a minor kerfuffle as he received many campaign contributions from Wall Street interests?

What I am saying is, you've got one side that can utilize the power of legislation to eliminate the other side's national campaign finance organizations, while the other side has no equal means to do so.

Then it sounds like the Dems picked bad organizations to back.  Getting funding from organizations that are mostly unnecessary in this day and age sounds foolish. Why should we feel bad?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 06, 2012, 07:03:11 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 06, 2012, 06:41:36 AM
So a lot of what I'm seeing is that public sector employees shouldn't be paid very much because the sacred tax payer has to pay them.   Do I get that correct?
No.  They are saying that pay for public sector should be somewhat fixed to thge private sector.  Given the lack of opportunities for bonus', stock options, and promotion and advancement I think the pay has to be at least somewhat increased though.  I've seen a bunch of positions here go unfilled for over a year because nobody is willing to take the massive pay cut needed to work for a public university.

I imagine that won't be that popular.  If you fix state employee wages to that of the private sector in Missouri every state employee will get a huge pay increase.  You certainly won't be a balancing any budgets with that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on June 06, 2012, 08:32:07 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2012, 08:25:40 AM

Then it sounds like the Dems picked bad organizations to back.  Getting funding from organizations that are mostly unnecessary in this day and age sounds foolish. Why should we feel bad?

Democrats aren't in this business to make money.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Getting funding from organizations are mostly unnecessary?  You mean, like Leo Linbeck's construction company in Houston funding GOP races in Ohio and Illinios?  Like that?

LOL, and there you go with the "we" again.  When it's all over and we have a one-party system, the Teabaggers will execute your homo minority ass.  I sincerely doubt they'll acknowledge that you've supported the billionaires and fundies all along, ghetto Jew cop.

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on June 06, 2012, 08:31:29 AM
Why not? Private sector workers can strike for greater benefits.

And more power to them.  Though they are having a rough time of it these days, they need to globalize since the employers did but...wow that is a tall task with governments like China around...but I digress.

Private sector workers are striking against the owners and management of their employers...but the owners in the case of public sector employers is the people themselves and collective bargaining in this case allows a minority to dictate policy to a majority which is counter to democratic principles.  This is the same reason I hope someday we can change how elections are financed, in a way the Supreme Court will like better, to prevent politicians from being so beholden to special interests.  The way you support politicians is you vote for them, not send them cash, and the way you get the government to pay you more is get the population to vote in people who want to do that.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 06, 2012, 08:34:35 AM
Democrats aren't in this business to make money.

Well they do a great job of it.  Since when have the Democrats had troubles fund raising?  They seem to do alright.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2012, 08:38:56 AM
Getting funding from organizations are mostly unnecessary?  You mean, like Leo Linbeck's construction company in Houston funding GOP races in Ohio and Illinios?  Like that?

LOL, and there you go with the "we" again.  When it's all over and we have a one-party system, the Teabaggers will execute your homo minority ass.  I sincerely doubt they'll acknowledge that you've supported the billionaires and fundies all along, ghetto Jew cop.

Yes, unions are largely unnecessary as part of a historical trend.  I've no idea if construction companies fit that same model.

Unlike you, I don't fear that the formation of one party. Seems unlikely.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.