Jerry Sandusky's Alleged Victims Lose Court Bid to Stay Anonymous

Started by garbon, June 04, 2012, 12:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

More thoughts from the mind of a predator, a former teacher that was named in a recent surfacing of long-ago sex abuses at a prominent New York private school.
QuoteMr. Lin was articulate in the interview, sometimes philosophical and a bit puzzled by the resurfacing of the past. "I'm surprised they remember," he said, referring to the students. "It was all so casual and warm."
Tek Young Lin was revered at the Horace Mann School. He was different from other teachers — a Buddhist who carefully tended to his elaborate gardens, a chaplain and a cross-country coach. He was so beloved that the English department chairmanship was named in his honor.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/nyregion/tek-young-lin-ex-horace-mann-teacher-says-he-had-sex-with-students.html

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 22, 2012, 09:50:26 PM
Yup. Lets hope the Penn st. administrators that covered it up get hammered.

They probably will be as soon as this trial's over.  Transcripts from this trial would be perfect to back up affidavits and make the case a foregone conclusion.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Pretty disgusting, but not as disgusting as the first "NYT Pick" comment. :x
QuoteBased on the torrent of allegations, admissions and convictions, pedophiles are in greater abundance in our society than anyone ever thought, and are a very great danger. Forget Tax Reform, forget Immigration Reform, forget Election Reform, forget the War on Drugs, the War on Poverty and all the other windmills at which we have been tilting. It is way past time to start spending our time, our money and our efforts on protecting our children, rather than on all the "feel good" projects we are involved in around the world.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2012, 08:41:54 AM
QuoteBased on the torrent of allegations, admissions and convictions, pedophiles are in greater abundance in our society than anyone ever thought, and are a very great danger. Forget Tax Reform, forget Immigration Reform, forget Election Reform, forget the War on Drugs, the War on Poverty and all the other windmills at which we have been tilting. It is way past time to start spending our time, our money and our efforts on protecting our children, rather than on all the "feel good" projects we are involved in around the world.

I agree with the above. But I'm not going to just sit around and complain about the neglect of our children. I'm starting a foundation to help those most at risk--"The Third Mile."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

jimmy olsen

Wow...

well, at least the civil suits will be able to get some money.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/28/12464481-sandusky-could-keep-59000-pension-despite-conviction?lite
QuoteFormer Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, convicted of 45 counts of child sexual abuse, could still profit from his public pension.

Sandusky stands to collect $58,898 each year, according to PennLive.com, because the crimes he committed are not included on the list of 22 that would force him to give up his benefits.

Pennsylvania's public officials or retirees are required to forfeit their pensions under the State Employees' Retirement System (SERS) if they commit "certain crimes that breach the member's duty of faithful and honest public service." The list does not include sex crimes.

"I think it is nauseating that a convicted pedophile like Sandusky will be collecting a pension while sitting behind bars," Pennsylvania Rep. Brendan Boyle said in a statement. "He certainly doesn't deserve to continue to enjoy the benefit of a taxpayer-funded pension."

Upon his death, Sandusky's wife, Dottie, would be able to get half of the annual payout, PennLive.com reported.

Nicholas Maiale, chairman of the SERS board, told PennLive.com that he will get a legal review of the board's options in this case. "I am a Penn Stater and I am a citizen of Pennsylvania, and we are all morally outraged about this case and what happened to those kids," he said, though he is not optimistic about a forfeiture.

Retired Penn State Vice President Gary Schultz, meanwhile, could lose his pension after being accused of perjury, PennLive.com reported.

Rep. Boyle introduced a bill in 2011, before Sandusky was charged, that is now one of six bills that could broaden the list of crimes that require public workers to give up their pensions, PennLive.com reported.

Sandusky's sentencing is expected in about three months.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

It sounds silly in this case, but it makes sense.  Your pension is not something that you get to keep for good behavior.  It's an asset your earn as part of your employment, and you own it, not the state.  It makes as much sense to take his pension as it does to take back his salary retroactively.