Jerry Sandusky's Alleged Victims Lose Court Bid to Stay Anonymous

Started by garbon, June 04, 2012, 12:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2012, 05:02:21 PM
I don't think they are usually permitted to testify under a pseudonym.

An emminently reasonable conclusion.  But I imagine the relevant issue is whether the press is barred from publishing their name.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2012, 03:14:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2012, 03:01:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 06, 2012, 02:59:59 PM
Are rape victims one of a class of victims of a particular form of crime?

Take a nap dude.  The Wisconsin thread has mellowed out.

Oh, I get it.  Only Yi can use the Yicratic Method.  Foul.  :mad:

Well yeah, he gets mad if you do it to him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2012, 05:06:31 PM
An emminently reasonable conclusion.  But I imagine the relevant issue is whether the press is barred from publishing their name.

Doubt it - that would be a prior restraint.

But the issue the judge was deciding was a little different - whether the witness could testify under an assumed name.
What I have seen which is more typical is that in reported orders and decisions, the courts don't mention the victim by name.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 06, 2012, 05:46:15 PM

I get mad when people make unwarranted logical leaps and/or rush straight to a value judgement about the interlocutor.

If you try it and avoid those errors you will see I have no beef.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2012, 06:04:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 06, 2012, 05:46:15 PM

I get mad when people make unwarranted logical leaps and/or rush straight to a value judgement about the interlocutor.

If you try it and avoid those errors you will see I have no beef.

Except you have.  On multiple occasions.  You referred it to as "Gotcha" postings.  We had an episode last week.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 06, 2012, 06:16:41 PM
Except you have.  On multiple occasions.  You referred it to as "Gotcha" postings.  We had an episode last week.

No, I have pointed out logical inconsistencies where I thought they existed.  That's not the same thing as saying "this post proves that Raz is mentally deficient."

One of your problems is that you point out logical inconsistencies where they don't exist.

Martinus

Define "press".

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on June 08, 2012, 03:02:12 AM

Define "press".

Press isn't the key word here - it's "publish".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on June 08, 2012, 09:27:49 AM
Define "publish".

The Canadian law states that the identity of a victim of a sexual offence "shall not be published in any document or broadcast or transmitted in any way".

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on June 08, 2012, 09:33:50 AM
Define "publish".

The Canadian law states that the identity of a victim of a sexual offence "shall not be published in any document or broadcast or transmitted in any way".

Define "document."

Define "broadcast."

Define "transmitted."

:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on June 08, 2012, 03:01:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 08, 2012, 09:33:50 AM
Define "publish".

Define "document."

Define "broadcast."

Define "transmitted."

:lol:

I'm not sure of the :lol:

Plenty of times issues are fought in court over exactly what is meant by those terms.  In my annotated Criminal Code there are no cases that discuss exactly what is meant by those terms, but I'm sure if I searched I could find some.

:mellow:

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on June 08, 2012, 03:09:46 PM
I'm not sure of the :lol:

I am not surprised.  I, however, am quite sure.

QuotePlenty of times issues are fought in court over exactly what is meant by those terms.  In my annotated Criminal Code there are no cases that discuss exactly what is meant by those terms, but I'm sure if I searched I could find some.

:mellow:

I bet you hear that so often you think it is a natural phenomenon!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister