News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '12-13

Started by grumbler, June 02, 2012, 03:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Get to miss another Cowboy game...sigh.

Going to the airport early AM tomorrow.  Thank God Southwest is cheap.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on September 07, 2012, 09:50:53 AM
Get to miss another Cowboy game...sigh.

Going to the airport early AM tomorrow.  Thank God Southwest is cheap.

:console:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Valmy, you see the new Big XII TV deal?  Includes a 13 year grant of rights.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205680799&DB_OEM_ID=10410

Average of $20 million/year per school + whatever they can get for T3 and all the other stuff.  Texas is going to be up over $40 million now just with this (also add in that new bowl and the playoffs, holy shit), with OU and KU probably at least in the high 20's low 30's I'd guess, with their tv/radio/tubes deals.

PDH

Sweet, when Wyoming joins the Big 12 we will finally get a piece of that pie!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: PDH on September 07, 2012, 10:05:17 AM
Sweet, when Wyoming joins the Big 12 we will finally get a piece of that pie!

Bring a friend and everyone gets even more because of the new conference championship game!  :yeah:

PDH

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 07, 2012, 10:07:02 AM

Bring a friend and everyone gets even more because of the new conference championship game!  :yeah:

As long as it ain't Colorado State (they used to be Aggies - puke), we will oblige.  Maybe Air Force!
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: PDH on September 07, 2012, 10:07:58 AM
As long as it ain't Colorado State (they used to be Aggies - puke), we will oblige.  Maybe Air Force!

No Aggies allowed! 

UNLV would be solid for the road games. Also a free W for everyone.  Just throwin that out there.

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on September 07, 2012, 10:07:58 AM

The Big 12 actually already talked to Air Force back when they were flirting with BYU...and they said no.  They doubted they could ever compete in the Big 12 and didn't want to do the things necessary to do so.

Anyway I am not very happy with the deal.  It is not enough money to seduce away any ACC teams and will probably leave them permanently at 10 teams.  Unless we get Louisville or something.  But who knows?  It might be an interesting off season.  Maybe that SEC-Big 12 Bowl thing might give us the cash to successfully get Florida State over here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2012, 10:11:31 AM
Anyway I am not very happy with the deal.  It is not enough money to seduce away any ACC teams

:blink:  If they need that much more money, they weren't ever leaving anyway.  This is $20 million for ten teams, T1 and T2 only.  The ACC deal is $17 million for T1, T2, T3, with twelve teams and a CCG.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 07, 2012, 10:15:56 AM
:blink:  If they need that much more money, they weren't ever leaving anyway.  This is $20 million for ten teams, T1 and T2 only.  The ACC deal is $17 million for T1, T2, T3, with twelve teams and a CCG.

Not that much more but 21 or 22 million would have been better.  They are not coming here for the tradition or the love of Texas and OU.  They will be coming for the money they need to compete with the SEC teams.  Also the ACC does not demand the granting of rights.

The funniest part I think is now Kansas is one of the biggest money TV programs in the country.  This combined with their ridiculously profiteable Basketball network means they will be bringing in 30 Million+ a year just from TV.

Valmy

A positive is this will get more Big 12 games on national TV.  I think the Big 12 is the most exciting conference so the more the merrier.  The people demand the kind of awesome only Big 12 offenses can deliver!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2012, 10:19:45 AM
Not that much more but 21 or 22 million would have been nice.

21 is what the PAC makes right now (not including T3 either).  The Big Ten is at slightly less than that (including BTN).  They both have 12 teams and a CCG.  This is a solid deal.

QuoteThe funniest part I think is now Kansas is one of the biggest money TV programs in the country.  This combined with their ridiculously profiteable Basketball network means they will be bringing in 30 Million+ a year just from TV.

Yeah, good times right there.  They're pretty sneaky about it too.  Rammed that Jayhawk Network through right under A&M's nose.

E:  Even if it is just adjusted so everyone still makes the same $20 million even with 12 teams and a CCG, Florida State has to be in the OU/KU range if they sell their rights properly.  30+ is a helluva raise.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 07, 2012, 10:24:18 AM
21 is what the PAC makes right now (not including T3 either).  The Big Ten is at slightly less than that (including BTN).  They both have 12 teams and a CCG.  This is a solid deal.

Close.  According to http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/05/10/2012-ncaa-television-revenue-by-conference/ the per-team breakdown for 2012 is:

Big Ten: $19.7-22 million
Pac 12: $20.2 million
Big 12: $20 million
SEC: $17.1 million
ACC: $17.1 million

The SEC and Big Ten will be negotiating new contracts in the short term, so those revenues can be expected to increase dramatically.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on September 07, 2012, 11:13:03 AM
Close.  According to http://collegesportsinfo.com/2012/05/10/2012-ncaa-television-revenue-by-conference/ the per-team breakdown for 2012 is:

Big Ten: $19.7-22 million
Pac 12: $20.2 million
Big 12: $20 million
SEC: $17.1 million
ACC: $17.1 million

The SEC and Big Ten will be negotiating new contracts in the short term, so those revenues can be expected to increase dramatically.

ESPN disagrees: http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/705/college-tv-rights-deals-undergo-makeovers  Anyway, it's close enough that it doesn't matter either way re: what Valmy and I were talking about.   Also, from that link:

QuoteBig East
6 years, $200 million, ABC/ESPN [CBS contributes $9 million of total] (through 2013)
Annual: $40 million
Average Annual per School: $3.18 million for football schools, $1.56 million for non-football schools

Notes: Big East is next conference up for renewal. Total is expected to be far below the $1.4 billion they turned down.

I still don't get why they turned that deal down.  TCU and WVU made a TON of money off of realignment.  WVU should be able to sell their other rights for a pretty good amount, too. 

derspiess

I don't pay much attention to the money side of college football, as important as it obviously is, but the Big 12 deal looks good to me.  Some of the details of the joint ESPN-Fox agreement seem vague-- I wonder if you'll be able to get Fox-broadcasted games on ESPN3 under the deal.  That would kick ass, given how you can get ESPN3 literally everywhere (phone, computer, Xbox, etc.).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall