News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '12-13

Started by grumbler, June 02, 2012, 03:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2012, 11:07:19 AM
Virginia Tech must hold the record for number of ugly wins.  Also, I don't believe in jinxes but they really need to get rid of the empty national championship trophy case.

No kidding.  GT gave that game away.  Literally.

CountDeMoney

As if we don't have enough examples of what's wrong with college football, here's Lane Kiffin's Classy Move of the Week:

QuoteUSC walk-on loses scholarship to make room for Simione Vehikite, who was just released from jail

As those of us who watch college athletics know all too well, coaching at a high-profile Division-I program is typically more about winning than anything else. Players who contribute to the winning cause are constantly allowed to bend the rules both in the classroom and in everyday life. At USC, for example, a player can be sentenced to jail time and have his scholarship waiting for him when he returns.

Linebacker Simione Vehikite was sentenced to a year in jail back in mid-May after pleading no contest to leaving the scene of a car accident and driving with a .08 percent blood-alcohol level and causing injury. He served slightly over three months of his sentence and returned to the team on Wednesday. According to the Los Angeles Daily News, head coach Lane Kiffin said he was no longer a part of the program when he was arrested last March.

That didn't last very long. Not only was Vehikite welcomed back to the program, but a walk-on named Will Andrew did not have his scholarship renewed to make room for him. Kiffin does not feel as though he owes anyone an explanation for the situation.

"They're never granted longer (than a year)," Kiffin said. "He was fortunate to have one for a year."

While that may be true, it's also not all that common for a player to serve jail time and still be able to have his tuition taken care of when he gets out. Andrew said the situation is "out of my control" and that he will do whatever the coaches ask of him, but he has to feel slighted. Who wouldn't? I guess Vehikite fits into Kiffin's plan of "winning with style" and Andrew doesn't.

derspiess

That is particularly shitty, but walk-ons always seem to get dumped on even by all college coaches.  "Just tough it out one more year with me and I'm pretty sure I can get you a scholarship next year" :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Kiffin, while an asswipe, is right.  He was fortunate to have a scholarship for a year as a walk-on, and unless he was an exceptional player, his is going to be one of the first ones not renewed when a better player comes along/back from prison/from wherever else USC is getting their players from.

Eddie Teach

He's right on that point, but can still be called on weaseling out of kicking the drunk driver off the team.

That being said, there's not a lot of teams with no players with arrest records, unfortunately.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 06, 2012, 04:31:43 PM
He's right on that point, but can still be called on weaseling out of kicking the drunk driver off the team.

Meh.  Why should Kiffin get a special callout for that?  That's just a college football thing, not a Lane Kiffin thing.  It wouldn't even be a particularly interesting news story if there wasn't the omg walkon scholarship outrage shit attached to it.  It would probably get about as much attention as the (pretty funny) A&M suspensions.

Barrister

I think it's somewhat shameful that sports scholarships are only good for one year anyways.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on September 06, 2012, 04:38:28 PM
I think it's somewhat shameful that sports scholarships are only good for one year anyways.

Heh.  MostA lot (I don't know for sure if it's "most" or not) of them aren't even full scholarships.  Outside of football and basketball, there are partial scholarships that won't cover all your expenses.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on September 06, 2012, 04:38:28 PM

Why, keeping academic scholarships are also subject to performance.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Their loss to Youngstown State was hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

It is Pitt, but Munchie Legaux has matured into a solid QB.  Cincinnati may run away with the Big East title.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Gee, I guess upgrading by adding Pitt next year is going to let the ACC catch up to the SEC, right?

;)

Valmy

Quote from: dps on September 07, 2012, 06:20:12 AM
Gee, I guess upgrading by adding Pitt next year is going to let the ACC catch up to the SEC, right?

;)

Yeah Syracuse and Pitt were taken for Basketball only that was clear.  The ACC just wants to be the best at something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."