News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cal's Sausage Fest AAR

Started by Caliga, May 27, 2012, 07:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 27, 2012, 09:08:13 PM
Schmidt's Sausage Haus.  End of story.  Fin.

Should be bolded and in thirty point font.  I miss going to Columbus strictly due to missing out on this place.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Caliga on May 27, 2012, 07:25:23 PM
PART I: CLEVELAND
On a barfometer scale of 1 to 10, Cleveland gets 9 barfs.  It's probably the crappiest city I've ever been to, but it's crappy in a very odd way. 

I've been to Cleveland twice and enjoyed it a lot.  Never went downtown or to the Rock Hall, though.  My gay Polish-American native friend played host.  Drove around and saw the locations of famous crimes including the source of the "The Fugitive." Then drank Molson Golden for $1.50 a bottle at a bar where a one-armed man threatened us when we made a half-assed attempt to go for an empty pool table.  Went to a very weird gay bar that was kind of exactly what you'd think a Cleveland gay bar would be like.  Ate great fresh kielbasi and pierogi and bigos in the old neighborhood.  Went to the art museum which was being renovated and quite impressive.  Walked through some of the huge Metroparks greenbelt with those exercise stations along the way, and climbed hundreds of stairs up some big hill teeming with schoolkids on a field trip.  Bought some crap at a hippie kitsch store in a pretty lively young neighborhood.  Oh, and spent a long time wandering around James Garfield's massive tomb complex, which was awesome.  Planned to go to this little island off the coast that is famous for its frozen Brandy Alexanders, but the weather was too bad.

All in all, very worthwhile.  But everything is going on outside downtown.  I recall Lakewood being a cool place.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Brazen

In the battle of Cal versus food, Cal always wins :cool:

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 27, 2012, 10:20:58 PM
I can't believe you got a platter, and not the all-you-can-eat wurst buffet with alll those meats available.  Disappointing, young man.  Very disappointing.  :tsk:
I thought about the buffet, but knew I'd have to poop on the way home if I got that and (believe it or not) I don't like to shit at gas stations.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

Quote from: Caliga on May 28, 2012, 06:45:08 AM
I can't believe you got a platter, and not the all-you-can-eat wurst buffet with alll those meats available.  Disappointing, young man.  Very disappointing.  :tsk:
I thought about the buffet, but knew I'd have to poop on the way home if I got that and (believe it or not) I don't like to shit at gas stations.

Do you like to eat shit at gas stations? Get it! ^_^
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 27, 2012, 10:18:38 PM
Yeah, actually that entire university neighborhood is nice, bordering their Little Italy and Shaker Heights.  Very bohemian and "collegey", sorta like a Georgetown with more coffee shops and less trust funds.  I'm pretty sure paying for something at Revolution Books with a debit card put me on a government list somewhere.
Yeah, we drove thru Little Italy too... I'd forgotten about that.  We also saw that Revolution Books store and my dad muttered something about "damn hippies" when we passed it.

11B4V

Quote from: Caliga on May 28, 2012, 06:45:08 AM

:lol: girl
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Quote from: Jaron on May 28, 2012, 06:45:51 AM
Do you like to eat shit at gas stations? Get it! ^_^
Define the word 'shit'. :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 28, 2012, 06:46:35 AM
We also saw that Revolution Books store and my dad muttered something about "damn hippies" when we passed it.

Down the street, about 1/2 block away, is a collector's toy store;  can't remember the name of it, but it's the kid of place where you can buy lunchboxes, or the Six Million Dollar Man and old Star Trek stuff still in their boxes.   
I almost walked out with a Guns of Navarone playset last time I was there.  :ph34r:

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 28, 2012, 06:56:27 AM
We also saw that Revolution Books store and my dad muttered something about "damn hippies" when we passed it.

Down the street, about 1/2 block away, is a collector's toy store;  can't remember the name of it, but it's the kid of place where you can buy lunchboxes, or the Six Million Dollar Man and old Star Trek stuff still in their boxes.   
I almost walked out with a Guns of Navarone playset last time I was there.  :ph34r:

The mountain with the two cannons and the elevator?  You missed out big time if that is the case.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Scipio

Cleveland is a fucking hole.  When I was at my cousin's wedding four years ago, we had a fucking trial finding a goddamn beaner bar to shoot some tequila at on the way to the reception.  Tragical.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on May 28, 2012, 08:19:04 AM

The mountain with the two cannons and the elevator?  You missed out big time if that is the case.

Don't think I don't regret it, either.  Been giving my parents shit about not getting that from Santa since 1974.

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on May 27, 2012, 07:25:23 PM
Ok, so this weekend we went up to Cleveland and met my parents there, who drove over from Philadelphia.  My mom has for years obsessed over the idea of going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so we finally gave in to her whining and agreed to go.

PART I: CLEVELAND
On a barfometer scale of 1 to 10, Cleveland gets 9 barfs.  It's probably the crappiest city I've ever been to, but it's crappy in a very odd way.  The downtown district looks pretty sparkling and new, but there's nobody there but aggressive panhandlers and tons of this newish-looking shit is actually boarded up.  After we got done at the Rock Hall Princesca and I decided to wander into the city to try to find a place to eat, and walked for over an hour and could not find one single fucking restaurant and in fact barely any signs of life at all.  The few people we saw were invariably of the chocolate persuasion and looked lean and hungry.  I had googled around looking for a place that sold the famous Polish Boy (don't get excited Mart, it's a sammich not a rentboy :) ) and found one about five blocks from the hotel.  We walked there only to discover it was boarded up.  Right in front of the abandoned storefront was a group of men loading trash bags into an ice cream truck, so we thought maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to investigate further.

We finally wandered into a gyro shop run by an old Turkish woman who seemed shocked to see any other living humans, and she agreed to make us gyros... which took a while since she hadn't even bothered to switch her oven on.  They actually turned out to be pretty good.  We asked her where we could get a Polish Boy and she said "Why you want eat this... they sell on truck and trucks dirty?  I make you more gyro you can take with!"  We politely declined and wandered through the post-apocalyptic wasteland to the hotel.

That night I found a Polish Boy place with rave reviews on google and convinced my dad to drive us there.  But we got there and discovered it was a fucking parking lot and realized based on the sandwich board there that, indeed, the 'best polish boy in Cleveland' was served from a lunch truck that likes to park in the lot of a furniture warehouse. :bleeding:  It was Saturday night so he wasn't there, of course.

So I go back to furious googling and discover that the place we went to earlier in the day that was boarded up actually had moved to a new location in the Cleveland suburb of Lyndhurst, so my annoyed dad agrees to try that, but makes me agree that we're getting Taco Bell if that doesn't work out.

Fortunately, it DID work out:

Lebron destroyed the city's desire to live.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

I had that.  The big gray one with all of the yellow parts and furniture?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on May 28, 2012, 12:29:49 PM

I had that.  The big gray one with all of the yellow parts and furniture?

STFU.  :mad: