News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cal's Sausage Fest AAR

Started by Caliga, May 27, 2012, 07:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

That sandwich doesn't sound appetizing to me at all.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 27, 2012, 09:23:08 PM
Quote from: sbr on May 27, 2012, 09:12:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 27, 2012, 09:07:46 PM
Shit, even I knew 20 years ago when we had season tickets for the Browns to never expect to find anything decent downtown. 
Find Euclid Avenue, go east, and don't stop until you get past the Dazzling Urbanites at Cleveland State and start seeing signs for CWRU.

Wait.  You had season tickets for the browns 20 years ago?  Did you follow the team to Mobtown?

I adopted the Browns when my team was stolen in the middle of the night by a filthy lying Jew. Curtis Dickey signed with them, and they drafted THE GREATEST COLLEGIATE QUARTERBACK OF ALL TIME EVAH, and my heart was taken. :wub:

Some guys I knew and I went in for season tickets for the Browns in college.  Dog Pound, Section E, Row 11, 1988-1992 seasons.   Good times.  Man, what a dump Cleveland Municipal was.  It was like Memorial Stadium after a nuclear detonation.

Let's just say that when they moved here, it didn't break my heart all that much.

You went to college in Ohio?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on May 27, 2012, 09:48:03 PM
You went to college in Ohio?

Nope.  We'd drive out Friday night or Saturday morning, stay at the Stouffer Tower City Plaza, stalk the visiting team in the lobby (got Dan Hampton's, Dick Enberg's and Merlin Olsen's autographs buried somewhere), goof around Saturday night hitting John Q's Steakhouse and hanging out at The Flats when it actually had shit there, hit the stadium early enough in the morning for the Club Level brunch, and drive straight home after.  Be back in Mobtown around 1 or 2am.

And honestly, all that was still cheaper to do than today's PSL racket, man.

My sister went to Case, I'd crash with her for the occasional game from 93 to 95.  Last one I saw there was Tampa Bay in '95, about 2 weeks or so before the announcement of the move to Baltimore.   Figured Maryland plates was a really, really bad idea at the time.  :ph34r:

Caliga

PART II: SAUSAGE IN COLUMBUS

So today on the way home I realized that we would be passing thru Columbus right around lunchtime.  I remembered seeing a thing on Man vs. Food once about... yes, that's right, Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant, so we got off the interstate and headed over to Columbus's German Village.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover two things: a) Columbus is not nearly as shitty as Cleveland, and b) the German Village is actually not a black ghetto, unlike Germantown in Louisville and Over-The-Rhine in Cincinnati... it's actually managed to maintain its status as a nice neighborhood with a distinct ethnic flavor.  The streets are cobblestone and the architecture even looks quasi-German.

So we pull into this desperately overcrowded parking lot where people are double-parked and somehow manage to find an empty spot, and wander around a little bit because there isn't really a sign telling you where to go to actually find the restaurant, but eventually stumble upon it:

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 27, 2012, 10:00:15 PM
My sister went to Case, I'd crash with her for the occasional game from 93 to 95.  Last one I saw there was Tampa Bay in '95, about 2 weeks or so before the announcement of the move to Baltimore.   Figured Maryland plates was a really, really bad idea at the time.  :ph34r:
This weekend we drove thru CWRU's campus on the way out to Freddie's Rib House.  It seemed like a surprisingly nice campus given the wasteland that basically totally surrounded it. :hmm:

Caliga

At Schmidt's we got:

pretzel bites mit sweet mustard... these were different than any others I've had since they seem to have been deep-fried and may have been dusted with sugar.

Caliga

I then got a bahama mama sausage sandwich with grilled onions und sauerkraut, with a side of potato pancakes and applesauce:

Caliga

For dessert we split a Bavarian vanilla cream puff:

Caliga

After we got done there I went next door to Schmidt's Fudge Haus and bought a box of buckeyes, since I hadn't had any of those in a while.  Princesca picked up some of that Kinder stuff you can get all over Europe for herself.

Then we drove home.  I've been having chest pains ever since.  The End.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 27, 2012, 10:02:38 PM
This weekend we drove thru CWRU's campus on the way out to Freddie's Rib House.  It seemed like a surprisingly nice campus given the wasteland that basically totally surrounded it. :hmm:

Yeah, actually that entire university neighborhood is nice, bordering their Little Italy and Shaker Heights.  Very bohemian and "collegey", sorta like a Georgetown with more coffee shops and less trust funds.  I'm pretty sure paying for something at Revolution Books with a debit card put me on a government list somewhere.

My sister was still living on campus when they were doing shooting for Air Force One;  the opening scene where Spec Ops are parachuting onto the Khazak Presidential Palace? That's the orchestra hall for the Cleveland Symphony, and you can see a ton of the campus buildings in the shots.  :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 27, 2012, 10:12:24 PM
For dessert we split a Bavarian vanilla cream puff:

God, it's like eating a little cloud of heavenly cream.  Or Amy Grant's pussy.  AND asshole.

I can't believe you got a platter, and not the all-you-can-eat wurst buffet with alll those meats available.  Disappointing, young man.  Very disappointing.  :tsk:

katmai

So Yip what odds giving on when Cal's coronary kicks in?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Quote from: Caliga on May 27, 2012, 10:09:51 PM
I then got a bahama mama sausage sandwich with grilled onions und sauerkraut, with a side of potato pancakes and applesauce:

My heart skipped a beat just looking at that. :licklips:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on May 27, 2012, 10:28:30 PM
So Yip what odds giving on when Cal's coronary kicks in?

40-1 against by 12/31/12.