News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much does weight factor in?

Started by merithyn, May 25, 2012, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Of the top five things you look for in a partner - 1 most important, 5 least important of the top 5 - where is the person's weight on the scale?

Not something I pay much attention to

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

He is. When he gets up in the morning to find work, they always pick healthier looking guys first.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 01, 2012, 03:35:04 AM
He is. When he gets up in the morning to find work, they always pick healthier looking guys first.
:pinch:

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 31, 2012, 10:09:12 PM
QuoteGuys, however, are less concerned with their own looks when deciding whom to date, the findings suggest. So while a man might have no qualms about going after someone much better looking than he is, a woman will tend more to choose partners with compatible looks.

:hmm:

Yeah and you would find just the opposite if we were talking about financial success.  Both seem crazy to me.  Why intentionally choose a less accomplished or less attractive mate (presuming you can be choosy)?  All things being equal of course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2012, 08:24:27 AM
Yeah and you would find just the opposite if we were talking about financial success.  Both seem crazy to me.  Why intentionally choose a less accomplished or less attractive mate (presuming you can be choosy)?  All things being equal of course.

It was a joke, calling Ide out on his "preferences". :D

I chose a less accomplished partner, and now he's worth 5x me. :) Sometimes, one sees potential over absolute value.

With men, I wonder about the ego thing. I've known guys who absolutely have to be THE bread winner. The wife can work, but she can't make more than him because then he's emasculated. WTF??  :blink:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 01, 2012, 08:45:04 AM
With men, I wonder about the ego thing. I've known guys who absolutely have to be THE bread winner. The wife can work, but she can't make more than him because then he's emasculated. WTF??  :blink:

I tend to associate that line of thinking with the older generation or olders school guys.  Statistics show that younger men do tend to choose more accomplished women but that just may be by necessity since more women have college degrees these days.  In fact, in a stat exactly the opposite of what it was in the 70s and 80s, today the more education a woman has the more likely she is to be married.

Of course these days education does not necessarily mean more accomplished.  These women may just be getting married because they need somebody to help pay off their student loans  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2012, 08:47:02 AM
These women may just be getting married because they need somebody to help pay off their student loans  :ph34r:

Shit, I was considering getting married to somebody, simply for healthcare.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2012, 08:24:27 AM
Quote from: merithyn on May 31, 2012, 10:09:12 PM
QuoteGuys, however, are less concerned with their own looks when deciding whom to date, the findings suggest. So while a man might have no qualms about going after someone much better looking than he is, a woman will tend more to choose partners with compatible looks.

:hmm:

But not everyone can be choosy as far as there are individuals that will generally be out of their league.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2012, 08:47:02 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 01, 2012, 08:45:04 AM

I tend to associate that line of thinking with the older generation or olders school guys.  Statistics show that younger men do tend to choose more accomplished women but that just may be by necessity since more women have college degrees these days.  In fact, in a stat exactly the opposite of what it was in the 70s and 80s, today the more education a woman has the more likely she is to be married.

Of course these days education does not necessarily mean more accomplished.  These women may just be getting married because they need somebody to help pay off their student loans  :ph34r:

Women generally go for men higher in status than themselves. That's why there's such a large cohort of college educated women turning into cat ladies these days, not enough high-status (compared to them) men around.

Personally I don't give a rat's ass about a woman's educational or earning potential. It's looks, looks, looks, personality and...cooking ability would be a plus. I always smirk a little when women rattle off their educational and financial accomplishments in reference to their sexual market value, sure all these things are a plus...if you're a guy.  ;)

If you're a woman and have a hard time getting guys you should work on your apperance and lower your standards. Repeat as often as necessary.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on June 01, 2012, 08:57:07 AM
That's why there's such a large cohort of college educated women turning into cat ladies these days, not enough high-status (compared to them) men around.

As I said stats show just the opposite.  The less educated a woman is the more likely she will be cat lady...or more probably single mom lady.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2012, 08:54:49 AM
But not everyone can be choosy as far as there are individuals that will generally be out of their league.

But you gotta try, man.

For the longest time, I kicked myself every day that I never asked a certain somebody out that I knew a couple years ago.  This woman was the first one in 20 years that actually knocked me on my ass hardcore.  I mean, she was the kind of woman that would make you volunteer to parachute behind enemy lines for and mail enemy ears back home.  Yeah, it was like that.

But I'll never know, now will I?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 01, 2012, 08:59:29 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2012, 08:54:49 AM

But you gotta try, man.

For the longest time, I kicked myself every day that I never asked a certain somebody out that I knew a couple years ago.  This woman was the first one in 20 years that actually knocked me on my ass hardcore.  I mean, she was the kind of woman that would make you volunteer to parachute behind enemy lines for and mail enemy ears back home.  Yeah, it was like that.

But I'll never know, now will I?

Actually I don't have to try for anything.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2012, 09:05:51 AM
Actually I don't have to try for anything.

I didn't mean you you.  You're gay.  You people get cock on tap.

DGuller

Quote from: Legbiter on June 01, 2012, 08:57:07 AM
If you're a woman and have a hard time getting guys you should work on your apperance and lower your standards. Repeat as often as necessary.
Yeah, women, listen to Legbiter, and hurry up with lowering standards, I'm not getting any younger.   :mad: