News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Naval Warfaretards/Churchillians, to me!

Started by CountDeMoney, May 24, 2012, 06:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Today we celebrate the sinking of the Bismarck.  By other battleships, and not by aircraft.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2012, 11:20:07 AM
Today we celebrate the sinking of the Bismarck.  By other battleships, and not by aircraft.

and torps from Ark Royal's biplanes fucked it up.  :blurgh:

Which allowed the other Brit ships to sink her.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on May 27, 2012, 11:25:51 AM

After it had already been damaged by gunfire from the Prince of Wales.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2012, 11:28:12 AM

and that damage did what in the scheme of things? hmmmm
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on May 27, 2012, 11:32:47 AM

and that damage did what?
Restricted the Bismarck's fuel supply, slowed the ship and prevented it from going after Atlantic convoys, as well as creating an oil slick that helped with the pursuit.

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2012, 11:39:04 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 27, 2012, 11:32:47 AM

and that damage did what?
Restricted the Bismarck's fuel supply, slowed the ship and prevented it from going after Atlantic convoys.

didnt slow her enough. The rudder hit by the biplanes allowed King George V and Rodney to close and finnish her.

nite, nite

11B4V

After the engagement you speak of. Bismark was heading for repairs. Eugen was released for raiding

Bismark was running for port.

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on May 27, 2012, 11:43:47 AM
didnt slow her enough. The rudder hit by the biplanes allowed King George V and Rodney to close and finnish her.

nite, nite
Exactly.  The aircraft couldn't get the job done.

PDH

You have to admit, the Rodnol could not have caught her without the rudder being jammed.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: PDH on May 27, 2012, 12:31:08 PM
You have to admit, the Rodnol could not have caught her without the rudder being jammed.
This is true.  Aircraft proved to be a useful adjunct to the battlefleet.  But aircraft couldn't sink the Bismarck.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2012, 01:45:37 PM
But aircraft couldn't sink the Bismarck.

Five O'Clock Charlie says otherwise.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 27, 2012, 02:00:07 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2012, 01:45:37 PM
But aircraft couldn't sink the Bismarck.
Five O'Clock Charlie says otherwise.
Bismarck wasn't sunk by aircraft.

CountDeMoney

PDH

I don't know, the Brits had the worst naval air arm until the US gave them real planes...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 27, 2012, 02:45:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2012, 02:24:33 PM
Bismarck wasn't sunk by aircraft.

They would've eventually.
Seems unlikely, unless they were able to attack an immobile Bismarck at dock.