News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Naval Warfaretards/Churchillians, to me!

Started by CountDeMoney, May 24, 2012, 06:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Paratroops single handedly saved multi-part semi-historically based wartime dramas on HBO.  They kicked the Marine's ass, that is for sure.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on May 24, 2012, 10:07:48 PM
You know, objectively I know Neil and grumbler are right on this one.

Now grumbler is well aware of my pro-navy leanings;  however, I will not allow a denigration or discounting of the need, use and impact of TEH STRATEGIC BOMBA, particularly one with nukes at its Fail Safe point, whether it's the glorious visage of a B-52, a sexy ass NOE B-1 or Batman flying around in his B-2.

And besides, the established reputation of firebombings of civilian/industrial assets with strategic bombers is gravy.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on May 24, 2012, 10:07:48 PM
You know, objectively I know Neil and grumbler are right on this one.

You know no such thing. :angry:  Battleships have managed to do practically nothing since their advent--except get sunk by airplanes.

Well there was that one time they sunk each other then proceeded to never even leave port again till the war was over, and that one time Dreadnought ran over a submarine by accident, and OK there was Glorious and Taffy 3, but otherwise.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on May 24, 2012, 09:46:27 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 24, 2012, 09:19:47 PM
And, yes, it was more wasteful than the paratroop force!
Yeah, both were of pretty limited military utility, but the bombers were an order of magnitude more wasteful of resources.

Even the strike-back morale boost was negated by the horror of saturation bombing.  I've heard stories of Bomber Command vets getting treated like they'd come back from Vietnam, with the baby-killing and all.

They took on the task of transforming a country full of Nazis and Nazi accomplices into a country full of pacifist Euroweenies.  I don't see how that could be accomplished without firebombing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ideologue on May 24, 2012, 09:35:17 PM
And they're useful in the maritime strike/maritime reconnaissance role too.  But we both know that. :contract:

P-3 is a much better strike/recon platform.

MadBurgerMaker

Oh shit.  We have some P-3 love in the thread!  :cool:

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ideologue on May 24, 2012, 10:23:34 PM
They took on the task of transforming a country full of Nazis and Nazi accomplices into a country full of pacifist Euroweenies.  I don't see how that could be accomplished without firebombing.

Ideologue

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on May 24, 2012, 10:24:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 24, 2012, 09:35:17 PM
And they're useful in the maritime strike/maritime reconnaissance role too.  But we both know that. :contract:

P-3 is a much better strike/recon platform.

My bombers kicked your ass too, Moltke.  Like grumbler, you permitted your prejudice to blind you to the power of the air.

While I saw clearly.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 24, 2012, 10:25:25 PM
Oh shit.  We have some P-3 love in the thread!  :cool:

Hells yeah.

One of my directors flew P-3s in the Pacific for the Golden Eagles back in the day;  stalked Soviet subs out of Vladivostok.

Said the only time he was ever nervous flying was when they had to randomly patrol with nukes.  :ph34r:

Ideologue

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on May 24, 2012, 10:27:40 PM

And if they'd had more than 80 strategic bombers, and better bombers than the sort of crummy Pe-8, they'd have been in Berlin in 1944.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Neil

The Red Army and the atomic bomb did that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 24, 2012, 10:33:34 PM
Hells yeah.

One of my directors flew P-3s in the Pacific for the Golden Eagles back in the day;  stalked Soviet subs out of Vladivostok.

Said the only time he was ever nervous flying was when they had to randomly patrol with nukes.  :ph34r:

VP-9?  Nice gig.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on May 24, 2012, 10:19:37 PM
You know no such thing. :angry:  Battleships have managed to do practically nothing since their advent--except get sunk by airplanes.
Actually, it seems to me that aircraft were pretty ineffective against properly manned and screened battleships at sea, unless they attacked in gigantic numbers.  They got the Prince of Wales, although they had huge numbers attacking in every direction against a lone ship (as the unmodernized Repulse had the military utility of a stick of gum).  Hiei had already been crippled by gunfire.  Yamato and Musashi were attacked by wave after wave of aircraft.  Roma was manned by Italians.

Now, compare that to the havoc that Allied battleships wreaked on Axis aircraft throughout the war.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.