And we're back!

Main Menu

Civil Unrest in Quebec

Started by Syt, May 23, 2012, 02:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 23, 2012, 07:44:35 AM
Quote from: KRonn on May 23, 2012, 07:14:28 AM
I'm in agreement on the Deans and Professor pay, but I assume the football programs bring in money for colleges, and big money for some schools.
But Professors provide the education which is at least part of the reason behind a university and, certainly in the UK, quality of research affects both public funding and ability to attract private funding too.
Yeah, but this isn't about education.  It's class warfare, and the profs are seen as the aristocrats.  Except with Drakken.  His rage is about trying to stop masked hooligans from rioting.

At any rate, research and private funding have largely fled Quebec public universities anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 08:03:48 AM
It seems clear to me that what Quebec wants is no raises in tuition regardless of what that might do to the competitiveness of their universities.  Considering they have top notch, and very expensive, universities just south of them I do not see that this is necessarily a bad plan.
It's a natural extension of the retail education idea, where your degree is a service and by paying your money you're entitled to it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

I am curious is the majority of the population for the tuition increases and the minority is trying to get its way through intimidating demonstrations?  That is not necessarily the case but I see it happen in France from time to time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

I'm just trying to figure out how $254 a year is considered such a fundamental violation of civil liberties.

$2,540 a year, I can understand that;  but $254 a year?  That's practically just keeping up with inflation and COLA.

Get over yourselves already.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 08:14:33 AM
I'm just trying to figure out how $254 a year is considered such a fundamental violation of civil liberties.

It is the principal and precedent that is the issue I guess.  Like the British Parliament having only one small tax on a certain beverage.

Hey maybe this is the Quebec Tea Party movement!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 08:16:27 AM
Like the British Parliament having only one small tax on a certain beverage.

That tax was the final fucking straw, not the only straw, man.  You know that.  Tory.  :mad:

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 08:14:33 AM

$2,540 a year, I can understand that;  but $254 a year?  That's practically just keeping up with inflation and COLA.

Get over yourselves already.

It's not, the fundamental violation of civil liberties is the special law 78 that severly restrict the right to manifest. The law is probably anticonstitutionnal but it will expire before the courts ear any case brought before them on the subject.

The Liberal Party & CAQ mps should have be tar & feathered for allowing the Ministers to pass that law.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 08:23:23 AM
That tax was the final fucking straw, not the only straw, man.  You know that.  Tory.  :mad:

The colonists were sure it was a plot to establish the power of Parliament to tax us precisely because it was such a small and measely tax that would raise so little revenue.  Why else would they establish it except to enslave us all?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 08:08:42 AM
I am curious is the majority of the population for the tuition increases and the minority is trying to get its way through intimidating demonstrations?  That is not necessarily the case but I see it happen in France from time to time.
:blink:  I will never understand the American attitude to demonstrations or protests.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 23, 2012, 08:32:14 AM
:blink:  I will never understand the American attitude to demonstrations or protests.

Goes a long way back.  Americans have an inherent disdain for any form of civil disobedience or unrest.

Yeah, I know, I know.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 08:35:21 AM

Goes a long way back.  Americans have an inherent disdain for any form of civil disobedience or unrest.

Yeah, I know, I know.

Look at how obnoxious protesters have been in recent times? They aren't even fighting for important causes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I cannot speak for everybody but it just sorta rubs me the wrong way when people are not trying to bring attention to an issue or convince through a demonstration but actively trying to intimidate a majority that disagrees with them.  I do not understand what is so weird about that.  You hate Democracy outside of the US?

But most demonstrations are not like that.  In this case it could be Montrealers opposing a policy that was snuck through that the public generally opposses and they want to make sure the powers that be are not going to get away with it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2012, 08:36:35 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 08:35:21 AM

Yeah, I know, I know.

Look at how obnoxious protesters have been in recent times? They aren't even fighting for important causes.

LOL, Americans have hated protesters going back to the Pullman strikes, man.  Don't gimme that.

Ed Anger

Send in the Princess Pat's and deal with the scum.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

When the fuck was I speaking for all Americans regarding all protests?  I was asking a specific question about this one regarding the general support for the policy.