Main Menu

Civil Unrest in Quebec

Started by Syt, May 23, 2012, 02:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 09:32:22 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2012, 09:30:49 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 09:24:02 AM
Riiiight...like there wasn't enough bloodshed since the 1890s.

Yes because that's what I'm saying.

I hope you get brained by the cops at your next Pride rally.  SEQUINS BLOODY SEQUINS

A Pride rally? Anyway, pride parades aren't protests - they are parades. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on May 23, 2012, 09:34:53 AM
Except that it's not Hansian - it is really the current state of Quebec education. Our current Justice Minister went to say in front of the press yesterday that "civil disobedience" is in fact another, nicer way to say "vandalism". :rolleyes:

Even some commentators at La Presse (which is far from being leftist yellow paper) agree with that reading. For instance, Vincent Marissal - who is far from being a Commie and who is one of the most esteemed commentator of both Federal and Provincial politics :

I meant Hansian in the sense that even if what you are saying is true, the strong language you are using makes it hard to determine what exactly you are saying.  That article is a pretty severe indictment of the handling of the protests that is for sure.  Why is the government so threatened here?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 23, 2012, 09:38:15 AM
The amount doesn't matter. A 1$ increase would have had the same effect. No raise is acceptable.

Yeah.  It is principal and precendent here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 09:29:31 AM
Quote from: Drakken on May 23, 2012, 09:25:37 AM
WTF are you bringing in how the Americans deal with protests? It's Montreal, Quebec, not Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Sheila B started it, man.

$254 a year increase is not worth getting torqued up over for 100 days.
Hell, over the course of the 100 days, if they worked part-time in an indie cafe full of Polish gay wanna-be hipsters typing on Apples about hating real hipsters instead of wasting 100 days like a bunch of spoiled brats, they would've already made up for the money, and then some.

The amount doesn't matter. A 1$ increase would have had the same effect. No raise is acceptable.

Which is a ridiculous stance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2012, 09:41:38 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 09:29:31 AM
Quote from: Drakken on May 23, 2012, 09:25:37 AM
WTF are you bringing in how the Americans deal with protests? It's Montreal, Quebec, not Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Sheila B started it, man.

$254 a year increase is not worth getting torqued up over for 100 days.
Hell, over the course of the 100 days, if they worked part-time in an indie cafe full of Polish gay wanna-be hipsters typing on Apples about hating real hipsters instead of wasting 100 days like a bunch of spoiled brats, they would've already made up for the money, and then some.

Which is a ridiculous stance.

Why? It's a different stance the Anglo-saxon view of Higher education, that's all.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 09:41:13 AM

They pay less then any other students in Canada (and still would I believe). Their stubbornness gets no pity from me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on May 23, 2012, 09:44:21 AM

They pay less then any other students in Canada (and still would I believe). Their stubbornness gets no pity from me.

I don't understand how does that matter at all. Education is a provincial matter. My taxes are paying for that, not yours.

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 09:40:45 AM
I meant Hansian in the sense that even if what you are saying is true, the strong language you are using makes it hard to determine what exactly you are saying.  That article is a pretty severe indictment of the handling of the protests that is for sure.  Why is the government so threatened here?

It's a good question, because at the start of the student protests this government wasn't directly threatened in itself. It just went downhill very fast - both due to the government's bad faith and the student bodies' intransigent attitude.

It's been a 100-day long chicken game and both sides have put rocks on the brakes.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 23, 2012, 09:47:28 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 23, 2012, 09:44:21 AM

I don't understand how does that matter at all. Education is a provincial matter. My taxes are paying for that, not yours.
it's not a "my money" thing, it's a "share my pain" thing lol. And don't equalization payments pay for provincial matters? Although Ontario is now a have not province like Quebec :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 23, 2012, 09:43:59 AM
Why? It's a different stance the Anglo-saxon view of Higher education, that's all.

It is not a universal Anglo thing.  The Brits love their free education as well.  It is a North American thing.  I am not sure how those wacky Aussies do it.

Drakken

Perequation.  :secret:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 23, 2012, 09:39:30 AM
Thank you.

I spent a good minute trying to find a better word.

"Riot" also works.  :P

QuoteI don't understand how does that matter at all. Education is a provincial matter. My taxes are paying for that, not yours.

Absolutely.  And you have a political process in your province to decide things like education spending.  The system worked as designed, and arrived at the decision that tuition would be raised.  If you don't like the decison, vote for someone else next election.

Drakken

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 23, 2012, 09:51:18 AM
Absolutely.  And you have a political process in your province to decide things like education spending.  The system worked as designed, and arrived at the decision that tuition would be raised.  If you don't like the decison, vote for someone else next election.

Protesting is perfectly legitimate in a democracy. Like I said to Viper, this ain't student bodies commanding people to commit vandalism. 99% of the protesters are pacific and respect the law - except Bill 78. Blocking the way for students who want to go study is a bit iffy legally-wise, though, but now that the sessions are suspended the point is moot.

We don't have elections every two years like you have down South.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Drakken on May 23, 2012, 09:51:04 AM

Perequation.  :secret:

If they don't like it they can go ahead & change the rules of redistribution.

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 23, 2012, 09:54:57 AM
If they don't like it they can go ahead & change the rules of redistribution.

It wouldn't be in our benefit - we are a province receiving perequation. So yes part of our budget comes from the other provinces funding us so that we give services equal in quality.