And we're back!

Main Menu

Civil Unrest in Quebec

Started by Syt, May 23, 2012, 02:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18170492

QuoteMontreal crowds mark 100 days of student protest

Tens of thousands of demonstrators have filled the streets of Montreal to mark 100 days since protests began against a planned rise in student tuition fees.

People chanted "Our streets!" and carried signs and red banners. There were no reports of arrests.

An emergency bill passed by Quebec's government on Friday was aimed at curbing the protests by requiring marches to follow pre-approved routes.

Rallies since then have turned violent, with 300 arrests on Sunday alone.

Protesters say the law, Bill 78, infringes their democratic right to express themselves. They have pledged to contest it in court.

Quebec has the lowest tuition rates in Canada. The government's proposal would raise them by 80%, in increments of $254 per year (£160) for seven years.

'Massive, collective disobedience'

Most of Tuesday's protesters followed a route submitted to police in advance, in accordance with the emergency bill.

However, some protesters linked with Classe, a student group with a no-compromise reputation, chose to defy the law and break away from the crowds.

Classe also said it would continue to agitate through the summer, a time of year when Montreal hosts outdoor festivals and attracts large numbers of tourists.

"Thousands of people have come to demonstrate with us, not only against the rise in tuition rates but with the intention to signal their disapproval of the special law," Classe leader Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois told the Associated Press news agency.

"The gesture made by tens of thousands is one of massive and collective civil disobedience."

But Quebec's minister of public safety, Robert Dutil, countered that many cities - including Geneva, New York, Los Angeles and Toronto - have implemented comparable legislation.

"Other societies with rights and freedoms to protect have found it reasonable to impose certain constraints, first of all to protect protesters, and also to protect the public," Mr Dutil told reporters.

The bill requires activists to provide the police with eight hours' notice of when and where protests are planned to take place, or face heavy fines.

Small protests took place in New York and Paris on Tuesday in solidarity with the movement in Montreal.

In Quebec, the provincial government has not backed away from the proposed increases of tuition fees, and Premier Jean Charest has been criticised by opposition parties for his handling of the protests.

Mr Charest must call an election before 2013.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

If they didnt have to pay for the football programs, the Deans making six figures, etc............
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grallon

Let us hope this brings down the federalist scumbag and his corrupt government.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grey Fox

Quote from: 11B4V on May 23, 2012, 05:49:24 AM
If they didnt have to pay for the football programs, the Deans making six figures, etc............

We should fire them all, exactly.

Our universities have been acting like Real Estate Investment companies recently and most got burned, especially UQAM.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe government's proposal would raise them by 80%, in increments of $254 per year (£160) for seven years.

Really?  That's what this fuss is all about?  An extra $254 per year? 

KRonn

Quote from: 11B4V on May 23, 2012, 05:49:24 AM

I'm in agreement on the Deans and Professor pay, but I assume the football programs bring in money for colleges, and big money for some schools.

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 07:03:01 AM
QuoteThe government's proposal would raise them by 80%, in increments of $254 per year (£160) for seven years.

Yes. My taxes aren't going down to compensante that either.

The ideal of free education should never be put out of sight.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 23, 2012, 07:16:42 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2012, 07:03:01 AM

Yes. My taxes aren't going down to compensante that either.

The ideal of free education should never be put out of sight.

Dude, it's $254 extra A YEAR.  You piss away more on shit you don't even remember.

Drakken

It's way passed tuition hikes right now. Most people are angry that their right to manifest are curtailed for obvious political reasons - to ensure no one manifests against the Liberals without excessive law enforcement approval until next year's election.

In any case, the Special Law is regularly ignored by protesters except in evenings when the number of people can be easily more controled and even then there's not much the police can do about it. The extreme option to arrest everyone and book them would be politically disastrous.

Grey Fox

I don't care. They are wasting the money we already give them & they want us to give them more.

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on May 23, 2012, 07:14:28 AM
I'm in agreement on the Deans and Professor pay, but I assume the football programs bring in money for colleges, and big money for some schools.
But Professors provide the education which is at least part of the reason behind a university and, certainly in the UK, quality of research affects both public funding and ability to attract private funding too.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on May 23, 2012, 07:14:28 AM
but I assume the football programs bring in money for colleges, and big money for some schools.

You'd be surprised at the small amount of those funds that ever leave a school's Athletic Department.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on May 23, 2012, 07:14:28 AMI'm in agreement on the Deans and Professor pay, but I assume the football programs bring in money for colleges, and big money for some schools.

You would assume wrong.  I am not aware of any football money that does anything besides fund athletics and that is for the small percentage of football programs that actually make money.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2012, 07:50:41 AM
Quote from: KRonn on May 23, 2012, 07:14:28 AMI'm in agreement on the Deans and Professor pay, but I assume the football programs bring in money for colleges, and big money for some schools.

You would assume wrong.  I am not aware of any football money that does anything besides fund athletics and that is for the small percentage of football programs that actually make money.

I actually made the mistake of assuming that during a discussion with a professor from Oklahoma, who was looking under every rock  and seat cushion possible for funding on a Native American archeological project.
Should've seen the look I got when I mentioned, "Well, you'd think the money Oklahoma football generates, the school wouldn't have a problem helping out your department."   :lol:

Valmy

It seems clear to me that what Quebec wants is no raises in tuition regardless of what that might do to the competitiveness of their universities.  Considering they have top notch, and very expensive, universities just south of them I do not see that this is necessarily a bad plan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."