News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on November 29, 2012, 06:40:26 PM
Gas would probably result in NATO troops in-country within the next few months, wouldn't it?
I believe Obama and others have said that accessing or using WMDs would lead to an immediate intervention.

QuoteHey Tim! Did you hear? Assad has shut down internet access in Syria!
Do we know it was Assad yet?
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on November 29, 2012, 06:42:21 PM
Hey Tim! Did you hear? Assad has shut down internet access in Syria!
I saw your post right after I posted, thought about editing it, but I was too lazy. -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Haven't been able to pay much attention to this in the news the past few days.  Anything happen with internet access in Syria, or is everyone there still able to get online?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

According to Tim, Internet in Syria has been cut.

Syt

Also, a convoy of Austrian soldiers came under fire when they were headed for the capital. Two Austrian soldiers were wounded, but not badly.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2012, 12:53:46 AM
Also, a convoy of Austrian soldiers came under fire when they were headed for the capital. Two Austrian soldiers were wounded, but not badly.

I was so intrigued by this statement I had to go look it up immediately.

Pretty mundane though, not surprising at all.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i0PmLeoeOvEvAI_sValMaPIMRcrQ?docId=CNG.826c89df111c6e8fb5cfa6bd1cabd75e.2d1
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on November 30, 2012, 12:47:38 AM
According to Tim, Internet in Syria has been cut.

I think Ed Anger posted first.

jimmy olsen

Best video yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZXrj9WI7rc

Skip to the 1 minute mark, that's where it begins. Some guys recon a govt. missile base. Then around 2:10 they plan an attack with miniatures and maps. Then they had out and attack it at the 4:05 mark.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 30, 2012, 01:58:40 AM
Then around 2:10 they plan an attack with miniatures and maps.

Some of The Brain's best work yet. 

Ed can be the bottle cap, and run an out towards the Buick.

jimmy olsen

About time, it's been clear the rebs would win for a while.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/12/us-formally-recognise-syrian-opposition

US to formally recognise Syrian opposition

Barack Obama says US will recognise opposition coalition as the de facto administration of Syrian regions under rebel control

Chris McGreal   
    guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 12 December 2012 00.45 GMT   

Barack Obama has said the US will formally recognise a Syrian opposition coalition as the de facto administration of regions under rebel control in a move that further saps the legitimacy of president Bashar al-Assad's rule.

The president's announcement, in an interview with ABC News, comes as Washington attempts to bolster support for rebel groups it regards as acceptable to western interests while attempting to isolate others.

Obama said the US has thrown its weight behind the coalition because he said it is open and representative enough to include various ethnic and religious groups.

"We've made a decision that the Syrian Opposition Coalition is now inclusive enough, is reflective and representative enough of the Syrian population, that we consider them the legitimate representative of the Syrian people in opposition to the Assad regime" he said.

But the president did not address whether the US is now prepared to arm the rebels or offer other military support similar to the air bombardment in support of Libya insurgents fighting Colonel Muammar Gadaffi nearly two years ago.

Obama's comments came before a meeting between senior US state department officials and Syrian opposition leaders, under the umbrella of the National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces, in Marrakech, Morocco on Wednesday at which the recognition agreement is expected to be formalised.

Hours earlier, the Obama administration declared one Syrian resistance group, the al-Nusra Front for the People of the Levant, a terrorist organisation and an al-Qaida front.

"Not everybody who is participating on the ground in fighting Assad are people that we are comfortable with," said Obama. "There are some who I think have adopted an extremist agenda, an anti-US agenda."

The recognition of the coalition comes amid growing disillusionment among Syrian opposition fighters, some of whom have complained of being abandoned by the US when other countries, including Britain, France and Turkey, have already recognised the coalition. They have compared the lack of active American backing with the support given to rebels in Libya.

Washington expects to work with the Syrian opposition coalition to established its authority in areas now under rebel control, in part by working with local councils. That is intended not only to isolate extremist groups but to prepare the coalition to take national power if and when Assad is overthrown.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Syria is doomed. More doomed than with the secular Baathists. It'll be a sunni-fundamentalist shithole in a few years.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 12, 2012, 03:11:24 AM
Syria is doomed. More doomed than with the secular Baathists. It'll be a sunni-fundamentalist shithole in a few years.
Because we refused to arm the secular rebels and let the Saudis and Qatar arm the wackjobs and ship in jihadis.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 12, 2012, 03:53:23 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 12, 2012, 03:11:24 AM
Because we refused to arm the secular rebels and let the Saudis and Qatar arm the wackjobs and ship in jihadis.

in that case Syria would still be doomed as after a civil war the fundamentalist whackjobs would be in power.