News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on December 25, 2012, 05:28:15 AM
except they can't be destroyed if manned by Russians.

On the plus side, they can't be expected to work if manned by Russians.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on December 25, 2012, 07:52:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2012, 08:50:30 PMWait, back up, why would they need SAMs in the first place? 

and

clear?

Yeah, but Russian SAMs aren't gong to defend against that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 25, 2012, 06:28:15 AM
That may be their hope, but we killed Soviet pilots in Korea and Vietnam, why would we hesitate to do the same to SAM operators here.
Because if a US plane gets shot down, it would wreck Obama's second term.  Weak jingos are only in love with the idea of intervening so long as there is no danger of retaliation.  US military prestige is already as low as it has been since Vietnam, and any further setbacks would give the forces of evil an opening.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Not surprising news, but terrible none the less.  :(

QuoteAt least 60,000 people have died in Syria's conflict, the UN human rights commissioner has said, citing an "exhaustive" study which has sharply increased the number of those believed killed.

Before the latest UN-commissioned survey it had been estimated that up to 45,000 people had perished during the conflict; the up-to-date calculation increases the death toll by a third...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/02/60000-killed-syrian-war-un
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 02, 2013, 09:40:39 PM
Not surprising news, but terrible none the less.  :(

QuoteAt least 60,000 people have died in Syria's conflict, the UN human rights commissioner has said, citing an "exhaustive" study which has sharply increased the number of those believed killed.

Before the latest UN-commissioned survey it had been estimated that up to 45,000 people had perished during the conflict; the up-to-date calculation increases the death toll by a third...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/02/60000-killed-syrian-war-un

there's less outcry for those 60.000 dead than for one palestinian terrorist that gets his due. Typical

Razgovory

Yeah, nobody gives a fuck if the Arabs that die, die at the hands of other Arabs.  All those people critical of Israel and decry the bulldozing of some Palestinian homes say nothing about Hama.  10,000 people die, nobody gives a fuck. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

I give a fuck: I hope it hits 100K.

Grinning_Colossus

QuoteToshifumi Fujimoto's vacation pictures, posted on his Facebook page, show him in poses familiar to any tourist. He lines up with interesting people, tries local activities and shows the sights. Except in the case of Mr. Fujimoto, a Japanese tourist, that means images of what appear to be Syrian rebel fighters engaged in battle, of himself firing an assault rifle and of the corpses of some of the 60,000 people the United Nations has said have died in Syria since a civil war began there early last year.

Mr. Fujimoto, 45, is, according to an interview he gave the news agency Agence France-Presse in Aleppo, Syria, usually a trucker hauling loads between Osaka and Tokyo or Nagasaki. For the last week and on a previous trip, he has been a tourist snapping pictures with his Canon D-SLR cameras and a compact video camera in Aleppo — the very heart of the Syrian conflict. (A link to his Facebook page is here, with the warning that it contains very graphic images.)
https://www.facebook.com/toshifumi.fujimoto.52?__req=26

He told the news agency, via Google Translate, that he had sneaked across the border from Turkey and taken up a position where the fighting is heaviest. "I always go by myself, because no tour guide wants to go to the front," Mr. Fujimoto said. "It's very exciting, and the adrenaline rush is like no other."

He dresses in camouflage fatigues, but without a protective jacket or helmet, which he said were too heavy and could dull the excitement of the gunshots. "I'm not a target for snipers because I'm a tourist, not like you journalists," he said. "Besides, I'm not afraid if they shoot at me or that they might kill me. I'm a combination of samurai and kamikaze."  :ph34r:

Mr. Fujimoto has also been to conflicts in Yemen and Egypt and said he would like to spend time with the Taliban in Afghanistan. He makes no money from his photography and pays for his trips himself. He explained his motivation to Agence France-Presse:

Fujimoto is divorced, and says: "I have no family, no friends, no girl friend. I am alone in life."

But he does have three daughters, whom he hasn't seen for five years, "not even on Facebook or the Internet, nothing. And that saddens me deeply," he said as he wiped away a tear.

So he's bought a life insurance policy, and "I pray every day that, if something happens to me, my girls might collect the insurance money and be able to live comfortably."

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/japanese-man-vacations-on-syrian-front-lines/?smid=re-share
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Malthus

I hope he's carefully read that policy ...  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on January 04, 2013, 04:14:15 PM
I hope his insurance company has carefully read that article. :contract:

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on January 04, 2013, 05:15:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 04, 2013, 04:14:15 PM
I hope his insurance company has carefully read that article. :contract:

Hey, maybe he's made full disclosure.  :D

I'm wondering how much "combination of samurai and kamikaze" tourism insurance would cost.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 08, 2013, 05:18:32 AM
This has got to be the biggest truck bomb I've ever seen! Damn!

Because you've been around so many.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2013, 09:02:38 AM

well he IS Puerto Rican

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2013, 09:02:38 AM

There's a thing called video Seedy, you might want to look into it.

You can't deny that one's huge.

1 Karma Chameleon point