News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jewish baby names, in America

Started by Siege, May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2012, 03:05:05 PM
Because children tell their parents everything?

If kids want to make fun of you, they'll make cracks about your name even if it's John Smith. That doesn't mean the name is the source of the hazing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2012, 03:40:35 PM

If kids want to make fun of you, they'll make cracks about your name even if it's John Smith. That doesn't mean the name is the source of the hazing.

Also doesn't mean it needs to be made easier. And then there's also the whole tension on the adult bit between having a unique enough name to stand out and be memorable but not to unique that people have difficulty pronouncing it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2012, 07:21:19 PM
Actually I just checked my family tree (which has 22,857 ancestors and kin in it) and I have exactly one Caleb in there.  Caleb Burkins, born in 1845 in Cecil County, Maryland and from a Scots-Irish family.  Most likely an illiterate drunkard, too. :)

:o  I didn't know you were illiterate!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2012, 06:06:51 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2012, 07:21:19 PM
Actually I just checked my family tree (which has 22,857 ancestors and kin in it) and I have exactly one Caleb in there.  Caleb Burkins, born in 1845 in Cecil County, Maryland and from a Scots-Irish family.  Most likely an illiterate drunkard, too. :)

:o  I didn't know you were illiterate!

I didn't know he was a drunk either, thought he was just a pothead.  :P

Caliga

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on May 22, 2012, 02:40:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 02:28:18 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2012, 01:25:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 01:12:55 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 21, 2012, 07:44:08 PM
BTW, I named my son Gideon.

I find it funny that you people laugh at the blacks for naming their kids Labisha or something, but then end up giving your kids names like this.

Gideon has a heritage that goes back thousands of years, and is thus exempt from the criticism of modern names like Labisha or Madison. You can say it's an ugly name, but you can't claim it's not really a name at all.

See, I don't buy this line of argument - it's like people who ridicule Mormons for having wacky beliefs but believe in zombie Jews turning water to wine only because it was a long time ago.

Weird names are weird names and have exactly the same effect on the child - whether they have been invented thousands of years ago by a shepherd eating mutton or three months ago by a post office employee eating fried chicken.

Sorry, his name never got him ridiculed. Unsure why it's bothering you. It didnt bother him.

Aww, still no kids huh? Maybe one day.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Why are we trying to suggest names for Siegy's child, when quite obviously Mrs Seigy will have the final say on the matter.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on May 22, 2012, 07:36:21 PM
Why are we trying to suggest names for Siegy's child, when quite obviously Mrs Seigy will have the final say on the matter.

True statement there. Even though The Siege will not admit it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

I'm not sure if she's a tribal Jew like Seige is, and if so what tribal Jewesses are like.  If however she is a JAP then yes, he will have no say in the matter, nor any other matter for that matter. :cool:

Eddie Teach

If it's up to Siege, it'll probably be Ja'Ravon.

Solmyr

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 22, 2012, 03:26:43 PM
You want Ariel, just go with Ariel- the same thing's happened with a bunch of Gaelic and Celtic names- somewhere along the line, "Ashleigh" started showing up as the girl's name "Ashley," and "Shea" has just been flat-out co-opted.  I've still known (multiple) males with both names.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2012, 03:44:25 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2012, 03:40:35 PM

Also doesn't mean it needs to be made easier. And then there's also the whole tension on the adult bit between having a unique enough name to stand out and be memorable but not to unique that people have difficulty pronouncing it.

Some of us struck a balance. :smoke:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Names don't have to be difficult to pronounce to be phony; last names co-opted as first names also qualify.  :P

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)