News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jewish baby names, in America

Started by Siege, May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Congrats Seigy and Mrs Seigy.   :cheers:

What about a first name that means 'peace', most ethnic collections of names seem to have one that means that.

Failing that, David seems a good around choice, that's persuming you have any forefathers named so.

edit:
there's lots of versions of this:
http://www.20000-names.com/male_hebrew_names.htm
AVSALOM (אֲבְשָׁלוֹם): Variant spelling of Hebrew Avshalom, meaning "father of peace." 
AVSHALOM (אֲבְשָׁלוֹם): Contracted form of Hebrew Abiyshalowm, meaning "father of peace."
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Let's be fair.  'Urban' culture has ruined lower-class white America.  If I had the choice, I'd have the lot of you reduced to fertilizer.  But then again, most people would be better off dead.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habsburg

Maximilian Ferdinand, now there's fine name for a lad.

Congrats Siegy.  :thumbsup:

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on May 21, 2012, 10:34:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2012, 10:30:07 PM

I can only hope not.

My list:

Olivia
Eleanor
Katherine
Elizabeth
Gwenyth

:)

I keep subtly pushing Katherine.  It's my number one with a bullet name. :ph34r:

I like Elizabeth too.

:)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on May 21, 2012, 10:54:48 PM
Failing that, David seems a good around choice, that's persuming you have any forefathers named so.

Well, Siegy is immensely proud of his alleged Jewishness, therefore I see nothing wrong with picking David, the greatest of all the Israeli kings and warriors*.

*After Moshe Dayan, of course.

11B4V

Quote from: Habsburg on May 21, 2012, 10:59:53 PM
Maximilian Ferdinand, now there's fine name for a lad.

Congrats Siegy.  :thumbsup:

:yeahright:

You all just want his kid to get beat-up. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 07:57:18 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2012, 07:18:27 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM
I want to name our baby Ariel (Lion of G-d), but my wife says Ariel is a female name here in America. How the hell did this happen? How come a manly hebrew name becomes a female name? This is ridicoulus.
Yeah, your kid would get his ass kicked.  Ariel is totally a girls name, because it sounds super-feminine.  It's been that way for the last 300 years or so, thanks to 17th century interpretations of Shakespeare.  Caleb is a hillbilly retard name, but at least it's a boy name.

His ass kicked?
My boy comes from a long line of swordwielders and tribal raiders.
He is going to jump out of the uterus in a fighting stance.

Well that clenches it, your son will be a limp wristed.  Also, your great grandparent's Arab overlords let your ancestors have a sword?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

I used to think that "stupid parents give their children weird names" was an urban myth, but it seems to be true every time.

Assimilate, you fucking Arab.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2012, 07:08:49 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2012, 07:03:32 PM
I have only known one Jew named Ariel, and it was a girl. :)

My college girlfriend had a female cousin named Ariel, too, come to think of it.

I met a male Ariel once, but he had those funky pigtails and wore a black hat.

Maybe he/she was transitioning?

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on May 21, 2012, 07:44:08 PM
BTW, I named my son Gideon.

I find it funny that you people laugh at the blacks for naming their kids Labisha or something, but then end up giving your kids names like this.

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on May 21, 2012, 08:08:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2012, 08:05:27 PM
I think you can get away with being named 'Ariel' if you are Jewish right?  :hmm:

Not in the US. another cool name is Raphael. Guess what, that was ruined too. Enter the Ninja Turtles.

Fuck you, turtle hater. They made it cool.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 01:12:55 AM

I find it funny that you people laugh at the blacks for naming their kids Labisha or something, but then end up giving your kids names like this.

Gideon has a heritage that goes back thousands of years, and is thus exempt from the criticism of modern names like Labisha or Madison. You can say it's an ugly name, but you can't claim it's not really a name at all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 01:12:55 AM

You're smarter than that. Nice try though.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I always thought Marcin was a stupid name.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017