News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jewish baby names, in America

Started by Siege, May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2012, 10:23:58 PM
Seigey - if you were some suburban yutz who picked out Ariel "because it sounded nice" your kid would rightly be picked on.

But when your kid says "My family is Sephardi Jewish, my grandad's name was Ariel" most kids will shut up, or the teacher will make them shut up.  This isn't 20-30 years go when we all grew up - today's kids are going to grow up with a whole range of names we were never exposed to.
Like Shithead (pronounced Shatheed), and Orangello, and Lemongello!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 01:12:55 AM
I find it funny that you people laugh at the blacks for naming their kids Labisha or something, but then end up giving your kids names like this.

Um Gideon is a name from the Bible like 99% of other traditional names :P

What is so weird about it?  Because you say so?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2012, 05:24:49 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 22, 2012, 04:56:52 AM
Onan  :cool:

Not a good name in Germany - his name has become (wrongly) become synonymous with masturbation.

The real biblical implication of the name is worse.  :lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 01:10:49 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2012, 07:20:39 PM
Ariel Sharon = Chick's name X 2
:D

I can think of a lot of implications of Ariel Sharon - but "feminine" usually isn't top of the list.   :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I still do not get the freak out over 'Ariel' if you are in an area with Jews there are plenty of dudes named 'Ari'.  I have not noticed them being beaten anymore than the other Jews.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on May 22, 2012, 07:27:45 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2012, 10:23:58 PM
Seigey - if you were some suburban yutz who picked out Ariel "because it sounded nice" your kid would rightly be picked on.

But when your kid says "My family is Sephardi Jewish, my grandad's name was Ariel" most kids will shut up, or the teacher will make them shut up.  This isn't 20-30 years go when we all grew up - today's kids are going to grow up with a whole range of names we were never exposed to.
Like Shithead (pronounced Shatheed), and Orangello, and Lemongello!

Well no, I was more going with the notion that kids classrooms are going to be full of Ahmed, Miguel, Abdi, and Ragesh.  Made-up stupid names will always be made-up stupid names.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2012, 07:59:40 AM
I find it funny that you people laugh at the blacks for naming their kids Labisha or something, but then end up giving your kids names like this.

Um Gideon is a name from the Bible like 99% of other traditional names :P

What is so weird about it?  Because you say so?

Robert, along with a few other common traditional names aren't :whistle:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Grats Siegy :cheers:

You should name your son Baruch; you could use an alternate spelling: Barack.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Not a good name in Germany - his name has become (wrongly) become synonymous with masturbation.
And that's insufficiently scatological for that country of perverts and weirdos?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2012, 02:57:10 PM
And that's insufficiently scatological for that country of perverts and weirdos?

And considering how primitively guttural the German language is, I wonder how much spittle would be thrown actually saying it.

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on May 22, 2012, 02:40:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 02:28:18 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2012, 01:25:46 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 21, 2012, 07:44:08 PM
BTW, I named my son Gideon.

Gideon has a heritage that goes back thousands of years, and is thus exempt from the criticism of modern names like Labisha or Madison. You can say it's an ugly name, but you can't claim it's not really a name at all.

See, I don't buy this line of argument - it's like people who ridicule Mormons for having wacky beliefs but believe in zombie Jews turning water to wine only because it was a long time ago.

Weird names are weird names and have exactly the same effect on the child - whether they have been invented thousands of years ago by a shepherd eating mutton or three months ago by a post office employee eating fried chicken.

Sorry, his name never got him ridiculed. Unsure why it's bothering you. It didnt bother him.

Because children tell their parents everything?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Siege, fuck the bullies and all those who accept them as normal. Name your son whatever you want and train him in the proper response to argumentum ad baculum.

garbon

Latin at an early age is probably a good way to ensure a beatdown. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM
Why is so hard to name a baby?
Why are jewish names so diferent here in the States?
I want to name our baby Ariel (Lion of G-d), but my wife says Ariel is a female name here in America. How the hell did this happen? How come a manly hebrew name becomes a female name? This is ridicoulus.
Then I wanted Caleb, and appearenly it sounds weird in englese. 
I don't know, man. How the hell did Ariel bacome a female name?

You want Ariel, just go with Ariel- the same thing's happened with a bunch of Gaelic and Celtic names- somewhere along the line, "Ashleigh" started showing up as the girl's name "Ashley," and "Shea" has just been flat-out co-opted.  I've still known (multiple) males with both names.
Experience bij!