News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jewish baby names, in America

Started by Siege, May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2012, 01:52:05 AM
I always thought Marcin was a stupid name.

Never heard that one. Is that Polish or something.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on May 22, 2012, 02:04:31 AM

I think it's Spanish for "queer".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2012, 11:03:52 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 21, 2012, 10:34:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2012, 10:30:07 PM

I can only hope not.

My list:

Olivia
Eleanor
Katherine
Elizabeth
Gwenyth

:)

I keep subtly pushing Katherine.  It's my number one with a bullet name. :ph34r:

I like Elizabeth too.

:)

Put those with the middle name Giovanna.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2012, 01:25:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 01:12:55 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 21, 2012, 07:44:08 PM
BTW, I named my son Gideon.

I find it funny that you people laugh at the blacks for naming their kids Labisha or something, but then end up giving your kids names like this.

Gideon has a heritage that goes back thousands of years, and is thus exempt from the criticism of modern names like Labisha or Madison. You can say it's an ugly name, but you can't claim it's not really a name at all.

See, I don't buy this line of argument - it's like people who ridicule Mormons for having wacky beliefs but believe in zombie Jews turning water to wine only because it was a long time ago.

Weird names are weird names and have exactly the same effect on the child - whether they have been invented thousands of years ago by a shepherd eating mutton or three months ago by a post office employee eating fried chicken.

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on May 22, 2012, 02:04:31 AM

It's "Martin" in Polish. Obviously, if I was living in an English speaking country I would expect to be named "Martin".

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 02:28:18 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2012, 01:25:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 01:12:55 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 21, 2012, 07:44:08 PM
BTW, I named my son Gideon.

I find it funny that you people laugh at the blacks for naming their kids Labisha or something, but then end up giving your kids names like this.

Gideon has a heritage that goes back thousands of years, and is thus exempt from the criticism of modern names like Labisha or Madison. You can say it's an ugly name, but you can't claim it's not really a name at all.

See, I don't buy this line of argument - it's like people who ridicule Mormons for having wacky beliefs but believe in zombie Jews turning water to wine only because it was a long time ago.

Weird names are weird names and have exactly the same effect on the child - whether they have been invented thousands of years ago by a shepherd eating mutton or three months ago by a post office employee eating fried chicken.

Sorry, his name never got him ridiculed. Unsure why it's bothering you. It didnt bother him.

Pedrito

Congrats Siege! :cheers:

I'd call him Goliath

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

I'd go with Abraham. Great Jewish name, and great U.S. president.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Blame latter-day productions of The Tempest for the feminisation of Ariel.

"Ariel is widely viewed as a male character, although this view has wavered over the years, especially in the Restoration, when women played the role, for the most part."

I know Brothers called Sampson, Joshua, Jacob and Alban. I don't think the family is Jewish, hence the Christian martyr who snuck in.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 22, 2012, 04:56:52 AM
Onan  :cool:

Not a good name in Germany - his name has become (wrongly) become synonymous with masturbation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I 100% second Ariel= the little mermaid.
Particularly in these post Sharon days.

Foreign boys names as girls names....it happens. And vice-versa. Jean is a pretty respectable man's name in France. Not in Britain.

My advice for naming a kid: You're gonna be shouting that name a lot. Keep it short.

I like the David idea. He can then rub shoulders in any circle. David for respectable Jewishness or Dave when he wants to be a normal kid.

QuoteSee, I don't buy this line of argument - it's like people who ridicule Mormons for having wacky beliefs but believe in zombie Jews turning water to wine only because it was a long time ago.

Agreed.
I used to know a kid called Aelfred. Pretty awesome old English name in theory. Lets bring back the classics!....in practice....he got the piss ripped out of him a lot.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on May 22, 2012, 07:01:19 AM
Jean is a pretty respectable man's name in France. Not in Britain.

Well, I dunno about over there, but I'm sure there's an entire generation of Trekkies here who, should they manage to learn to procreate, willing to name their boys Jean Luc.

merithyn

Here, Jean = Gene, short for Eugene. Otherwise, it's John. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...