News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jewish baby names, in America

Started by Siege, May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2012, 07:18:27 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM
I want to name our baby Ariel (Lion of G-d), but my wife says Ariel is a female name here in America. How the hell did this happen? How come a manly hebrew name becomes a female name? This is ridicoulus.
Yeah, your kid would get his ass kicked.  Ariel is totally a girls name, because it sounds super-feminine.  It's been that way for the last 300 years or so, thanks to 17th century interpretations of Shakespeare.  Caleb is a hillbilly retard name, but at least it's a boy name.

His ass kicked?
My boy comes from a long line of swordwielders and tribal raiders.
He is going to jump out of the uterus in a fighting stance.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

I think you can get away with being named 'Ariel' if you are Jewish right?  :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2012, 08:05:27 PM
I think you can get away with being named 'Ariel' if you are Jewish right?  :hmm:

Not in the US. another cool name is Raphael. Guess what, that was ruined too. Enter the Ninja Turtles.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 07:57:18 PM
His ass kicked?

Just name him Krav Maga Merkava.

Actually, sounds like a Disney song.  HAKUNA MERKAVA WHAT A WONDERFUL PHRASE

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2012, 07:02:26 PM
You really ought to let the father have the option of naming the kid, Siege.

I'm sure it won't be De'Shaun or anything.
:lmfao:

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 07:57:18 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2012, 07:18:27 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM
I want to name our baby Ariel (Lion of G-d), but my wife says Ariel is a female name here in America. How the hell did this happen? How come a manly hebrew name becomes a female name? This is ridicoulus.
Yeah, your kid would get his ass kicked.  Ariel is totally a girls name, because it sounds super-feminine.  It's been that way for the last 300 years or so, thanks to 17th century interpretations of Shakespeare.  Caleb is a hillbilly retard name, but at least it's a boy name.
His ass kicked?
Maybe you should move back to the Middle East, where that kind of tribal bullshit is tolerable.  That sort of person has no place in a modern society.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2012, 07:20:25 PM
Caleb is pretty common among little boys around here. 

Re: Jewish names in general, my wife took a while to get used to their heavy usage in the US.  She thought every Rebecca or Jacob she ran into here was Jewish :lol:

Yeah what the hell is up with the pervasive invasion of Jewish names in our society  :mad:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on May 21, 2012, 08:48:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2012, 07:20:25 PM
Caleb is pretty common among little boys around here. 

Re: Jewish names in general, my wife took a while to get used to their heavy usage in the US.  She thought every Rebecca or Jacob she ran into here was Jewish :lol:

Yeah what the hell is up with the pervasive invasion of Jewish names in our society  :mad:

:D

Choosing baby names was a bit of a chore.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadBurgerMaker

Just use a random name generator:  http://www.behindthename.com/random/

Checked "Jewish" and it spit out Yussel Ziv.  None of his classmates will know wtf.  Jewish Hippy Rapper came up with Solly Ezra.