News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jewish baby names, in America

Started by Siege, May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2012, 07:03:32 PM
I have only known one Jew named Ariel, and it was a girl. :)

My college girlfriend had a female cousin named Ariel, too, come to think of it.

I met a male Ariel once, but he had those funky pigtails and wore a black hat.

Caliga

I've never actually known any Hasidic Jews.  Most of the Jews I've known have been Conservative, and a handful were Orthodox.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2012, 07:09:53 PM
I've never actually known any Hasidic Jews.  Most of the Jews I've known have been Conservative.

Who was the Languishite that called them Reformed Jews once?   :lol:  Like they just got out of Juvy Hall or something.

Caliga

:hmm: Don't recall that.  Must have been referring to Reform Jews. :)  I think those are the Jews who are basically atheists, but like to get together for services anyway because they like singing hava nagila.  I have a friend who essentially does that, but is technically Conservative.  He also wants to give his daughter the option of being observant rather than forcing her to be a secular Jew like he is.

Grey Fox

My kid name is Ariel, yes, she's a girl. Take that, Arab.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2012, 07:15:34 PM
You no doubt name her after the Disney princess though.  Or maybe your bitch did. :rolleyes:

CountDeMoney

Jewwy McJewstein has a nice ring to it.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM
I want to name our baby Ariel (Lion of G-d), but my wife says Ariel is a female name here in America. How the hell did this happen? How come a manly hebrew name becomes a female name? This is ridicoulus.
Yeah, your kid would get his ass kicked.  Ariel is totally a girls name, because it sounds super-feminine.  It's been that way for the last 300 years or so, thanks to 17th century interpretations of Shakespeare.  Caleb is a hillbilly retard name, but at least it's a boy name.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Caleb is pretty common among little boys around here. 

Re: Jewish names in general, my wife took a while to get used to their heavy usage in the US.  She thought every Rebecca or Jacob she ran into here was Jewish :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Ariel Sharon = Chick's name X 2

Caliga

Actually I just checked my family tree (which has 22,857 ancestors and kin in it) and I have exactly one Caleb in there.  Caleb Burkins, born in 1845 in Cecil County, Maryland and from a Scots-Irish family.  Most likely an illiterate drunkard, too. :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2012, 07:18:27 PM
Caleb is a hillbilly retard name, but at least it's a boy name.

Caleb has been picking up steam the last several years, particularly amongst the Yuppie Suburbanite crowd;  I think a lot of women think it has something to do with shiny non-threatening vampires or something.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2012, 07:16:46 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2012, 07:15:34 PM
You no doubt name her after the Disney princess though.  Or maybe your bitch did. :rolleyes:

It was my idea, I didn't know it was the little mermaids name at that time.

I would have named her just "Ari" but I was overruled, I had to find an alternative.

Jo was also rejected. :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Anyway, if I was a Jew I'd name my kid Barak.  LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2012, 07:21:19 PM
Caleb Burkins, born in 1845 in Cecil County, Maryland and from a Scots-Irish family.  Most likely an illiterate drunkard, too. :)

Funny how Cecil County hasn't changed since 1845.