And we're back!

Main Menu

Jewish baby names, in America

Started by Siege, May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2012, 07:18:27 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM
I want to name our baby Ariel (Lion of G-d), but my wife says Ariel is a female name here in America. How the hell did this happen? How come a manly hebrew name becomes a female name? This is ridicoulus.
Yeah, your kid would get his ass kicked.  Ariel is totally a girls name, because it sounds super-feminine.  It's been that way for the last 300 years or so, thanks to 17th century interpretations of Shakespeare.  Caleb is a hillbilly retard name, but at least it's a boy name.

I can only think of two Calebs I have ever met and both were very fancy lads.  One was confirmed gay, I would be surprised to find the other wasn't.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2012, 07:23:04 PM
Funny how Cecil County hasn't changed since 1845.
That family tended to hop the border between Cecil County and Lancaster County from one generation to the next.  They were descended from Scots-Irish stock brought in by the Penns to fight off the Catholic Marylanders.  No joke. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2012, 07:25:35 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2012, 07:23:04 PM
Funny how Cecil County hasn't changed since 1845.
That family tended to hop the border between Cecil County and Lancaster County from one generation to the next.  They were descended from Scots-Irish stock brought in by the Penns to fight off the Catholic Marylanders.  No joke. :)

So you're from a long line of dickheads.

Caliga

Actually in my case it all kind of balances out.  I'm also descended from the Pennsylvania Dutch, who were so pacifistic that the Penns had to bring in violent clans of Scots-Irish to protect their southern borders, because the Dutchmen wouldn't fight. :cool:

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2012, 07:28:33 PM
So you're from a long line of dickheads freedom fighters keeping our protestant nation free of papal oppression.

Fixed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Camerus

If you're looking for a good uberjew name, what about Saul?   :Joos

Caliga

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2012, 07:33:22 PM
:smoke:

Neat, there's even a wiki article about the war: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cresap%27s_War

I bought somebody's published PhD thesis from the early 1900s on this conflict at a garage sale, and for the life of me I can't find out what I did with it.  :(

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM
Why is so hard to name a baby?
Why are jewish names so diferent here in the States?
I want to name our baby Ariel (Lion of G-d), but my wife says Ariel is a female name here in America. How the hell did this happen? How come a manly hebrew name becomes a female name? This is ridicoulus.
Then I wanted Caleb, and appearenly it sounds weird in englese. 
I don't know, man. How the hell did Ariel bacome a female name?

I havent read the whole thread, but two words....

Little Mermaid.

and if you do name him Ariel.....refer to the bullying thread here on Languish.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 21, 2012, 07:41:07 PM
I havent read the whole thread, but two words....

Little Mermaid.

and if you do name him Ariel.....refer to the bullying thread here on Languish.

:lol:  No, that pretty much sums up the thread just fine, Bravo.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 21, 2012, 07:44:08 PM
BTW, I named my son Gideon.

Nice, strong name.  Not an Apostle, but strong.  :pope: :pope: :pope:

Siege

Quote from: HVC on May 21, 2012, 07:00:37 PM
How do you pronounced Caleb in Hebrew? Maybe he thinks the English pronunciation sounds weird.

Kalev, strenght in the last syllable, like most Hebrew words.
Was my grandpa's name.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on May 21, 2012, 07:48:22 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 21, 2012, 07:00:37 PM
How do you pronounced Caleb in Hebrew? Maybe he thinks the English pronunciation sounds weird.

Kalev, strenght in the last syllable, like most Hebrew words.
Was my grandpa's name.

You should hear some goofball redneck say "Caaylub".  Guaranteed to put you off of that name.

That said, I'm a fan of recycling ancestors's names.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall