And we're back!

Main Menu

US Debt Ceiling Debacle Part II

Started by Jacob, May 16, 2012, 03:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2012, 06:15:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 16, 2012, 04:46:36 PM
I don't think it will be as dramatic as last year.  The GOP will agree raise the debt ceiling in exchange for vague promises to "cut" spending somewhere, and the can will be kicked down the road past early November.

No, they won't;  Boehner already said as much today.

There will be another debt crisis this summer, just in time to affect the election.  As long as the House Teabaggers stand fast and agree to nothing, they'll shut down the government, affect the economic health of the US, the markets, the bond ratings, and therefore the President.  That's all they want to accomplish, and it will funnel the votes they need their way.  The way they see it, they just have one more summer to hold out as the Protest Party, and the nigger goes.

That certainly seems likely.

Thing is, the US economy appears to be improving, slightly. The numbers coming out from there shows that, at least.
That's not flying with the "obama fookered the economy up" message. However, if they manage to disable the federal government right in parallel with Europe imploding, well, that message would certainly look more true than it does now.

derspiess

Interesting details on the 2011 debt crisis, leaked from Bob Woodward's new book. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bob-woodward-book-debt-deal-collapse-led-pure/story?id=17104635#.UEjTJbKPVnF

I particularly found this part interesting-- explains how Obama raked Ryan over the coals in that big speech last year without knowing Ryan was present. 

QuoteOne important moment in the negotiations came when the president scheduled a major address on the nation's long-term debt crisis. A White House staffer thought to invite House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, R-Wis., along with the other two House Republicans who had served on the Simpson-Bowles debt commission.

The president delivered a blistering address, taking apart the Ryan budget plan as "changing the basic social compact in America." Ryan left the speech "genuinely ripped," Woodward writes, feeling that Obama was engaged in "game-on demagoguery" rather than trying to work with the new Republican majority.

"I can't believe you poisoned the well like that," Ryan told Obama economic adviser Gene Sperling on his way out of the speech.

The president told Woodward that he wasn't aware that Ryan was in the audience, and he called inviting him there "a mistake."

If he had known, Obama told Woodard, "I might have modified some of it so that we would leave more negotiations open, because I do think that they felt like we were trying to embarrass him... We made a mistake."
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

The Ryan Budget deserved to be shit upon.  With great vigor and aplomb.  Fuck that noise.
However, I am disappointed that my President felt obligated to apologize.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2012, 12:02:56 PM
The Ryan Budget deserved to be shit upon.  With great vigor and aplomb.  Fuck that noise.

:rolleyes: You don't invite someone to a speech and then personally rip him.  Such things tend to work against you in the long run. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2012, 12:07:30 PM
:rolleyes: You don't invite someone to a speech and then personally rip him.  Such things tend to work against you in the long run.

I've got no problem with the POTUS ripping apart that piece of batshit insanity called a budget.  If the author was present and felt "ripped", then boo fucking hoo for him.  You're going to go crazy with a budget plan, develop a thicker skin.

COME CORRECT OR DONT COME AT ALL.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2012, 12:11:38 PM

I've got no problem with the POTUS ripping apart that piece of batshit insanity called a budget.  If the author was present and felt "ripped", then boo fucking hoo for him.  You're going to go crazy with a budget plan, develop a thicker skin.

COME CORRECT OR DONT COME AT ALL.

Yeah, well the result was that Obama found himself shut out of the negotiations.  WHOOPS.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2012, 12:17:16 PM
Yeah, well the result was that Obama found himself shut out of the negotiations.  WHOOPS.

The Ryan Budget proposal wasn't designed to be a starting point for "negotiations", nor were any of the new House Republicans arriving in Washington in the mood for "negotiations", and you damned well know that. 
So don't play so fucking stupid.

Admiral Yi

I expect less drama than last time.  Wild guess: an increase in the limit that leaves a short window until the next time the limit is reached.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2012, 12:23:42 PM

The Ryan Budget proposal wasn't designed to be a starting point for "negotiations", nor were any of the new House Republicans arriving in Washington in the mood for "negotiations", and you damned well know that. 

Good on them for it.  It got tiring having Republicans spending like Democrats.  At any rate, there were negotiations and the debt ceiling got lifted.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2012, 12:02:56 PM

I thought you guys were the "Tough guy" party.  Straight talk and the like.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2012, 12:33:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2012, 12:23:42 PM

Good on them for it.  It got tiring having Republicans spending like Democrats.  At any rate, there were negotiations and the debt ceiling got lifted.

You talk like overspending isn't the default mode for the Republican party.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2012, 12:47:35 PM

Not when feelings get hurt.  The national debt might be important, but it isn't that important.

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2012, 12:48:11 PMYou talk like overspending isn't the default mode for the Republican party.

Isn't the record of Republican presidents one of huge increases in the deficit? Why would it be different this time?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2012, 12:47:35 PM

The only differences between the parties are in regards to policy; personalities run the gamut on both sides. And it's not like Democratic politicians are out there saying, "We're going to sugarcoat things because you all can't handle the truth."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 06, 2012, 12:52:02 PM
Isn't the record of Republican presidents one of huge increases in the deficit? Why would it be different this time?

Bush II ran deficits on the order 3-5% of GDP I believe.  Last year must be an exception with TARP.