And we're back!

Main Menu

Jury: Samsung owes Apple one BILLION dollars

Started by Barrister, August 26, 2012, 10:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 27, 2012, 06:57:23 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2012, 06:51:03 AM
Like I'll accept judgment on what is funny and what isn't from a Pole. Or a supposed lawyer. :rolleyes:

Poles and lawyers have lots of experience being involved in the telling of jokes.
:lol:

dps

Quote from: Martinus on August 27, 2012, 04:22:23 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2012, 10:48:58 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 26, 2012, 06:42:24 PM
Here is what the juror actually said to CNET:

Quote'After we debated that first patent — what was prior art — because we had a hard time believing there was no prior art, that there wasn't something out there before Apple. In fact we skipped that one so we could go on faster. It was bogging us down

Shouldn't that be grounds for a mistrial? :unsure:

I don't think so - unless having stupid, ignorant people on the jury is the grounds for mistrial. 

The argument would probably be that the judge's instructions to the jury were flawed, though that would probably depend at least in part on exactly what the instructions were.

lustindarkness

I did not care for Apple, now this makes me dislike it. If not overtunred in appeal, it will just hurt the consumer in the end.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

This isn't about Apple, it's about giving out patents for features that are not inventions & even innovations.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Eastern District Texas is no longer as common a venue ever since the Federal Circuit starting to get more aggressive granting writs of mandamus transferring venue when there is a lack of connection to eastern Texas.  Also, wider adoption of patent rules and specialized patent panels by other districts has attracted cases elsewhere (particularly Delaware).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

I thought they were supposed to be judged by a jury of their peers.  I expected the jury to be composed to HTC, Nokia, Motorola, LG, and Sony Ericsson.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Damn I'm going to have to work harder on having less curves, otherwise Apple is going to sue my ass off me.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on August 27, 2012, 02:39:15 PM
Damn I'm going to have to work harder on having less curves, otherwise Apple is going to sue my ass off me.  <_<

Apple has nothing on Monsanto.

Barrister

So I didn't really post any analysis before.

First, it's interesting how almost 20 years after Apple's infringement lawsuit against Microsoft crashed and burned, they have now succeeded against Samsung.  The difference is in how they framed it - the MS "look and feel" lawsuit was a copyright lawsuit, this was and is patent legislation.

On the internet, and here as well, I see the lame freetard argument of "information just wants to be free" and "this will harm consumers".  Sure a company, having developed a new and unique product, has some level of right to protect that new and unique product from copying.  And some of the emails from Samsung seemed to make it quite clear they wanted to copy,. err, be inspired, by the iPhone.

Are the iPhone patents obvious, or should they be invalidated by prior art?  I don't know.  They's getting well outside of my area of expertise.  Maybe they are.  A couple of the allegations for patenting "rectangles with rounded corners" do seem lame.

Interesting to see where this goes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2012, 01:47:56 PM
I thought they were supposed to be judged by a jury of their peers.  I expected the jury to be composed to HTC, Nokia, Motorola, LG, and Sony Ericsson.
that'd be awesome :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on August 27, 2012, 04:14:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 27, 2012, 01:47:56 PM
that'd be awesome :lol:

Why not;  works for the SEC and the Treasury Department.

Jacob

Speaking of Motorola (now owned by google), they're bringing out some new smartphones, and they're not afraid of Apple at all it seems: http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/06/technology/google-apple-motorola-droid-razr/index.html?iid=HP_River

PDH

I suspect Apple with decide the victory over Samsung is enough and not feel the need to sue Google.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM