News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

In the Arts and Sciences Department :

Rousard writes a great work for France, earning 1 VP for the prestige.

Mercator rolls pretty well and gets a high enough score to either select a science bonus or to claim a VP.  Drakken's choice.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Will pause here and wait now that there is actually a decision to make.

As soon as Drakken selects his reward, I'll end the turn and set us up for turn 3.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

For those watching at home, the current VPs are :

Ottomans : 11
Spain : 16
England : 11
France : 14
HRE : 11 (12?)
Protestants : 11

Very redundant, you may notice!

The situation of the map :

The situation in England is calm and collected.  The Irish holdings and the capital of Scotland are restless, to be sure, but are held by stalwart garrisons.

On the continent, France has managed to stamp out the majority of the Huguenot scum, but the rebels maintain a small stronghold in Rouen.  Alas, for them, Admiral Coligny has been captured and the French army, under the wise guidance of the Duke of Montmorency, is sure to retake the city post-haste.

The Netherlands has gone strong for the Calvinist faith, however, and even now sits in control of 2/3 of the countryside while the Spanish military deals a deadly blow to the Turks.  With the threat of Brussels, the last Spanish holdout, falling to the upstarts, however, it is uncertain how long the uneasy peace can possibly last.

The less said about the Ottomans, the better.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

HRE winters 4 troops in Szigetvar, the rest goes to Vienna.

2 Mercs raised in Vienna.

Wow, bonuses sure are shitty for HRE, except maybe Ravelin. So I take Ravelin as bonus.

Habbaku

Roger that.  Only outstanding choice remaining is Ulmont's decision as to whether to winter Hawkins in the New World or the Old.  That not being significant enough to hold the game up, I'll go ahead and end the turn.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Colonies aren't exactly as productive as the French and English had hoped this turn.

The colony of Florida succumbs to malaria, Roanoke vanishes off the face of the earth (CROATOAN), and Rio de Janeiro ends up going bankrupt.

Rio de la Plata, however, survives but produces nothing.

Winter file sent.  Berkut is up to seed the treasure piles at his leisure.  Other than that, it's off to diplomacy.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on June 06, 2012, 08:26:59 PM
Harsh toke, man.

Tamas has no one but himself to blame, of course.  Well, he can blame Drakken a bit, I suppose, but that won't really stick.

The funny thing is that I told Tamas that I had a killer hand, and would much rather go fight Protestants. Offered to give him peace in return for Tunis. He categorically refused.

I straight out told him that I had the cards to crush him, but he was having none of it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

The odd thing is, I don't actually think I am doing very well overall. I have not done any of that sponsoring of artists stuff, I haven't dealt with the Protestants at all, and I am still down keys from my start position, and way down once the Ottomans inevitably sue for peace.

I think I've screwed the Ottomans, but don't know that that has really helped me as much as I hoped.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2012, 10:30:21 PM
way down once the Ottomans inevitably sue for peace.

No such thing in Virgin Queen, bro.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Tamas, when you make another file, please release and flip the Selim ruler card.  If it's owned by you, no one else may see it.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Shut up, katmai :p funny thing is that even until my last two cards I could have easily avoided collapse. If I realised the power of the Spanish home card, I could had used the 1 cp card to finish off the lone Spanish fleet and then use the two cp to park my fleet on the Aegean.

Solmyr

Tamas

And, while lining up the excuses, let's not forget that I had an agreement with Drakken on him joining me :P
I didn't trust him completely of course, hence my spring deployment, but still. :P

katmai

I see Berkie still plays the "I'm really not doing that well guys" schtick.

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

He could be right this time, you know.

Unless Drakken continues to serve as a Spanish puppet, the Spanish army in OE is totally cut off, and I still outnumber the Spanish fleet 5 to 1.

The game now depends on the other players - if they support the Ottoman Empire, I can restore equilibrium this turn and Berkut will be stopped from winning. If they keep stuffing their heads to the sand, he will consolidate his gains and run off with the whole game.