News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Habbaku on May 22, 2012, 07:15:50 PM
Drakken, are you deliberately not making a deal over your mercenaries this turn?  They aren't banked and will vanish if they aren't granted to someone.  I hear Spain is at war and is wealthy enough to make a deal...

Huh, it's the first time ever I'm playing this game?

So no, it's not deliberate. It's part of the things I simply didn't know.

Habbaku

Since it is, of course, your first time playing--and most everyone else's, too--I suggest you wire Berkut and hash out a deal ASAP, then.  Having 4 mercenaries potentially vanish and get nothing for you isn't that ideal, especially early in the game.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

New files sent out to everyone, by the way.  Berkut should go ahead and place his treasures again (only 4 this time!).  Other than that, just waiting on Drakken to potentially make a deal for his mercenaries (I preemptively offer nothing, Protestants cannot receive them, Ottomans cannot receive them...) with either Spain or England.

No one is also an option.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

How exactly does hiring mercernaries work?

Is it always 1CP per number on the Unit? So if 4 units can hired, it would cost 4CP?

Habbaku

Quote from: Drakken on May 22, 2012, 07:48:52 PM
How exactly does hiring mercernaries work?

Is it always 1CP per number on the Unit? So if 4 units can hired, it would cost 4CP?

Are you talking about in-turn or the mercenaries that the HRE gets?

If the former, yes; just as you described, but you can mix and match.  Regulars cost 2 CPs per.

The HRE mercenaries are a different case, though.  During winter, the HRE has the option to receive 4 mercenaries available for use in diplomacy (only), 2 mercenaries to their capital or 1 regular to their capital.  The downside of the first option, of course, is that those mercenaries all vanish if they aren't granted to someone--the HRE can never get them and may never receive mercenaries from another power during diplomacy.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

Quote from: Habbaku on May 22, 2012, 07:58:45 PM
The HRE mercenaries are a different case, though.  During winter, the HRE has the option to receive 4 mercenaries available for use in diplomacy (only), 2 mercenaries to their capital or 1 regular to their capital.  The downside of the first option, of course, is that those mercenaries all vanish if they aren't granted to someone--the HRE can never get them and may never receive mercenaries from another power during diplomacy.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "for use in diplomacy". Does it mean that the HRE hire them to give to other powers, and never for himself?

Habbaku

It means they are used in diplomatic dealings only (similar to giving away cards, offering marriages of royals, exchanging control of spaces, etc.).

From the rules :

QuoteAll powers except the Ottoman may agree to give another power up to four mercenaries. All powers except the Ottoman and Holy Roman may receive mercenaries in such a deal. Two players may not give each other mercenaries in the same turn; such an exchange can only occur in one direction on a given
turn. The power granting mercenaries removes the specified number of mercenaries from any single space or combination of spaces. If the Holy Roman player is granting mercenaries, he may also remove mercenaries from the Mercenaries for Hire Track on his power card. The power receiving the mercenaries
then takes the equivalent number of mercenaries from his force pool and adds them to his capital (or distributes them as desired between his capitals). Each capital receiving mercenaries must be currently on the map, free of unrest, and controlled by the receiving power. Mercenaries for Hire not granted during
negotiations are lost; the Holy Roman player should drop the marker to the "0" space on the track on his Power Card at the end of the Negotiation Segment.

Mercenaries may always be hired in-turn by all players that have the ability to do so (so, no Ottomans, no Protestants when they don't have territory, etc.).  The HRE is different in that they have options to get a few extras during winter, as detailed in my previous posts.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

Quote from: Habbaku on May 22, 2012, 08:11:03 PM
It means they are used in diplomatic dealings only (similar to giving away cards, offering marriages of royals, exchanging control of spaces, etc.).

From the rules :

QuoteAll powers except the Ottoman may agree to give another power up to four mercenaries. All powers except the Ottoman and Holy Roman may receive mercenaries in such a deal. Two players may not give each other mercenaries in the same turn; such an exchange can only occur in one direction on a given
turn. The power granting mercenaries removes the specified number of mercenaries from any single space or combination of spaces. If the Holy Roman player is granting mercenaries, he may also remove mercenaries from the Mercenaries for Hire Track on his power card. The power receiving the mercenaries
then takes the equivalent number of mercenaries from his force pool and adds them to his capital (or distributes them as desired between his capitals). Each capital receiving mercenaries must be currently on the map, free of unrest, and controlled by the receiving power. Mercenaries for Hire not granted during
negotiations are lost; the Holy Roman player should drop the marker to the "0" space on the track on his Power Card at the end of the Negotiation Segment.

Mercenaries may always be hired in-turn by all players that have the ability to do so (so, no Ottomans, no Protestants when they don't have territory, etc.).  The HRE is different in that they have options to get a few extras during winter, as detailed in my previous posts.

Okey, so I understood the deal in reverse: that the hiring power can pay me for mercenaries that I have on my Power Card pool, up to four units? I thought it was me paying to hire mercenaries.  :blush:

Also, as HRE I can receive either 1 Regular or 2 Mercenaries in my capital, or refill my mercenary pool from 0 to 4?

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

England's not bidding due to a completely crappy hand.

Tamas

Of course, Drakken could also consider the chance of the ottomans declaring war on them in the action phase, and decide to hold on to his reinforcements :P

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2012, 12:56:42 AM
Of course, Drakken could also consider the chance of the ottomans declaring war on them in the action phase, and decide to hold on to his reinforcements :P

:huh:  What reinforcements?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on May 23, 2012, 01:16:10 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 23, 2012, 12:56:42 AM

:huh:  What reinforcements?

Quote from: Habbaku on May 22, 2012, 07:58:45 PM

If he can't choose to have 2 mercs for himself instead of trading 4 now (not being Winter and all), my point is null and void :P

thanks for the new files BTW

Tamas