News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Virgin Queen PBEM Recruitment

Started by Habbaku, May 09, 2012, 12:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: ulmont on June 25, 2012, 01:17:07 PM
Drake moves to the Spanish Main and successfully pirates another 2 VP.

:huh:

Berkut

It is kind of odd that fortresses actually hurt in this case - it means the English just get VPs instead of treasures.

The fortress should give the Spanish player the option of protecting a treasure.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on June 25, 2012, 01:19:44 PM
Quote from: ulmont on June 25, 2012, 01:17:07 PM
Drake moves to the Spanish Main and successfully pirates another 2 VP.

:huh:

Quote5. Roll Piracy Dice: The active player rolls this number of dice. Each roll of a "5" or a "6" is considered to be a hit. For each hit scored, the Spanish player (even if Portugal is the target) must choose to do one of the following:
a. Eliminate a patrol in the ocean zone
b. If Spain is the target, allow the active power to draw at random one of the Spanish treasures. If Spain rolled at least one
die for the presence of a fortress connected to this ocean zone, the Spanish player chooses one treasure to withhold from the pool available to this random draw.
c. If Portugal is the target, allow the active power to draw at random one of the Portuguese treasures.
d. Award the active player 1 VP for Piracy.
The active player may not be awarded a treasure if the appropriate row (Spanish or Portuguese) is empty (or if the piracy is against Spain, a Spanish fortress is connected to the ocean zone, and there is only 1 Spanish treasure left). The target power must always try and award one of these options for each hit. Picking an award of no benefit to the active player is not permitted if another selection is available. If more than one hit is scored on the same piracy action, Spain must divide the hits as equally as possible between valid awards (i.e., an award cannot be chosen for a (i.e., an award cannot be chosen for a second time until all possible awards are granted at least once).

There are no patrols in the Spanish Main, so option a. is not available.  There is a fortress and Spain only has 1 treasure, so option b. is not available.  I targeted Spain, so option c. is not available.  So the only possible award for each hit was a VP, and I got 2 hits.

Tamas

Nice going ulmont.

Let's wrap this up quick so we can start the new one. :P

Berkut

Seven total piracy VP for England in the game.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 01:24:23 PM

That's sort of your fault :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on June 25, 2012, 01:26:43 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 01:24:23 PM

That's sort of your fault :P

Not really. He rolls 4 dice and gets two hits? I never get hits on anti=piracy dice?

I mean, I could spend ALL my CPs building patrols and forts, but if he still gets hits and they miss, the result is the same.

Overall the NW piracy mechanic as a game mechanism is kind of lame. The idea is cool, but the actual gameplay has very little strategy to it - you just spend CPs and hope for the best. There isn't really much interaction.

If he rolls well, I guess you can always say "Gee, should have spent 14 CPs instead of 10!", but then you can spend 14, he rolls poorly, and people say "Ahh, you let the prots win because all you cared about was protecting your treasures, why did you spend so many CPs on that???" Or "You spent all those CPs protecting the NW and let the Ottomans win pirating in the old world!".

0 rows returned

Berkut

Far as I can tell, Drake rolled 20 piracy dice and got 12 hits. He got hit by one anti-piracy die.

Garbon's gift of the best card in the game for England was directly responsible for 3 of those hits.

0 rows returned

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 01:51:23 PM
Far as I can tell, Drake rolled 20 piracy dice and got 12 hits. He got hit by one anti-piracy die.

But Drake really wasn't the target of a lot of anti-piracy dice, right?  I think my count was 7.

Habbaku

Is there some reason that Spain isn't going to land troops in Ireland and take Dublin?  Does anyone have City State Rebels?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Congrats to Drakken, by the way, who would have had an easy time taking Dublin, but would prefer to burn piles of CPs in an (likely vain) attempt to take a French key instead.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on June 25, 2012, 01:57:05 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 01:51:23 PM

But Drake really wasn't the target of a lot of anti-piracy dice, right?  I think my count was 7.

The most he can ever really be the target of is 2 though, unless I concentrate patrols. Which maybe is the right thing to do once he shows up, but it seems like he can just run away from them if you don't spread them out.

I don't know - seems like the Spanich have to spend an inordinate amount of CPs keeping the English from winning the game by just farming NW piracy VP.

Quote from: Habbaku on June 25, 2012, 01:59:55 PM
Is there some reason that Spain isn't going to land troops in Ireland and take Dublin?  Does anyone have City State Rebels?

Is there some reason France has never landed troops in Ireland to take Dublin?

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 02:30:45 PM
Is there some reason France has never landed troops in Ireland to take Dublin?

Is there some reason that you keep trying this line of thought even though you can't honestly believe it?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on June 25, 2012, 02:30:45 PM
I don't know - seems like the Spanich have to spend an inordinate amount of CPs keeping the English from winning the game by just farming NW piracy VP.

This makes the fallacious assumption that the only way to prevent England from gaining piracy VPs is to build anti-piracy defenses.  Forcing England to worry about how many Catholic spaces there are in the English zone is much more CP-intensive for England than resorting to piracy due to the high likelihood of unrest and the concern over the English Catholic Rebellion.

-J. R. R. Tolkien