Yes
12 (34.3%)
No
17 (48.6%)
Jaron's House of Gutless Waffling
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Caliga

Quote from: HR schmucksPast behavior predicts future behavior.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

People here are assuming she lied.  There is no indication in the story that she did.  It is just as likely that the question was not asked and she was simply offered the job pending a background check - which is very common.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2012, 07:37:27 PM
People here are assuming she lied.  There is no indication in the story that she did.  It is just as likely that the question was not asked and she was simply offered the job pending a background check - which is very common.
There must've been a hell of a backlog at the background check company.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2012, 07:59:45 PM
Background checks aren't usually very thorough.  But I'd be very surprised if she wasn't asked during an interview or the application if she had any convictions.  I was asked when I applied at Wendy's in high school.
PDH!

PDH

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 08, 2012, 08:02:55 PM
But I'd be very surprised if she wasn't asked during an interview or the application if she had any convictions.  I was asked when I applied at Wendy's in high school.

Wags - "Convicted of LOVING Wendy's!!!!"

Manager (in clip on tie) - "This guy is a little too eager to make hamburgers."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: PDH on May 08, 2012, 08:16:48 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 08, 2012, 08:02:55 PM
But I'd be very surprised if she wasn't asked during an interview or the application if she had any convictions.  I was asked when I applied at Wendy's in high school.

Wags - "Convicted of LOVING Wendy's!!!!"

Manager (in clip on tie) - "This guy is a little too eager to make hamburgers."
It was worse than that. :( I couldn't even get a job at Wendy's. Though seeing how self-destructive it made my friends I guess it was a good thing.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2012, 07:59:45 PM

Mine took place a couple months after I got hired.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

I have to go through a background check at work. They're giving me access to their accounting database. <_<
Winner of THE grumbler point.

crazy canuck

I might add that the reason the company gave for firing her was not that she lied but that they were forced by the legislation to terminate her once they discovered the prior conviction.  That lends more support that the Grumbler theory that she was terminated for dishonesty is pure speculation and likely wrong.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2012, 06:10:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2012, 02:13:58 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 08, 2012, 09:32:27 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2012, 09:30:28 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 08, 2012, 09:28:35 AM
I guess this is another cultural gulf with Americans.  Fuck up in one really minor incident 40 years ago, except to pay for it for the rest of your life = reasonable

It would be the same here - lying on your application form is grounds for termination.

Yeah, except would the same need to lie in the first place exist - i.e. no forgiving of past minor sins?

An employer is perfectly entitled to ask whether or not you have been convicted of a crime of dishonesty for which you have not been granted a pardon.

Not in BC they dont.  There may be circumstances in which they can but there is no such blanket rule.

As a blanket rule, no.

But when you're entrusted with handling money?  Pretty sure they can.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2012, 09:04:53 PM
I might add that the reason the company gave for firing her was not that she lied but that they were forced by the legislation to terminate her once they discovered the prior conviction.  That lends more support that the Grumbler theory that she was terminated for dishonesty is pure speculation and likely wrong.

If she had said she had done this when she applied, they wouldn't have hired her in the first place.

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 08, 2012, 10:05:47 PM

If she had said she had done this when she applied, they wouldn't have hired her in the first place.

and?

DontSayBanana

Actually, she could easily have thought she didn't actually need to report it; a lot of criminal check questions I've seen on applications read something alone the lines of "Have you been convicted of any crimes?  Do not include minor traffic offenses or convictions greater than 10 years ago."
Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

E:  ^^  The ones I've seen for places like this are usually pretty clear, and they usually seem to omit shit like traffic violations ^^

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2012, 10:16:18 PM
and?

Which part don't you understand?  The part where she would have been disqualified in the first place, or the part where she failed to mention the thing that would have disqualified her?

CountDeMoney

I dunno...not a labor lawyer, but I'm pretty sure there's a few legal backstops to protect existing employees from retroactively applied termination rules.