UN official: US must return control of sacred lands to Native Americans

Started by jimmy olsen, May 05, 2012, 07:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on May 07, 2012, 09:12:38 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2012, 10:02:06 PM
Quote from: Ancient Demon on May 06, 2012, 09:59:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2012, 09:43:20 PM
Yet they do not wish to be assimilated into the wider American (or Canadian) culture, even if that means they are poorer and have a lower standard of living.

Fine. All I ask is that the government stop subsidizing their separateness.

Except that, in certain circumstances, we promised them we would subsidize them (health and education come to mind).

And I am not arguing that we should stop doing so - far from it.

I am arguing that the system as it stands now in the US (and I should note that I am speaking generally, I am sure there are viable exceptions (Eskimos? for example) to the general observation) sucks for the very people it is supposed to be "protecting".

I don't think we should abrgate any treaties - I do think the general policy goal should be one that recognizes that the long term solution is to continue to integrate Native Americans into US society directly. I disagree that this has not worked - that is patently false, I would suspect that the majority of Native Americans in the US do not live on reservations, for example, and are in fact just typical Americans, like Chinese Americans, or German Americans, or whatever. I am not entirely sure about that, but I supect it is the case. The idea that integration does not work is demonstrably not true.

It was the stated policy of the Department of Indian Affairs in Canada for over a century to try and assimilate Indians and make them into regular, normal Canadian citizens.  It was only in the 60s that changed.

I think it's the policy of assimilation which has shown to not work.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2012, 04:50:17 PM
It was the stated policy of the Department of Indian Affairs in Canada for over a century to try and assimilate Indians and make them into regular, normal Canadian citizens.  It was only in the 60s that changed.

I think it's the policy of assimilation which has shown to not work.
That was their stated policy, but they also didn't try very hard.  They allowed the reservations to exist.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on May 07, 2012, 04:32:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 04:12:58 PM
Berkut is a "pick themselves up by their own moccasins" kind of guy.

I don't think you could have more thoroughly missed my point if you had tried.

Of course, I am also pretty sure you did in fact try...

QuoteWe all know how "they" came to that - what is the better question is how to get them out of it.

And the answer is pretty obvious - the same way all the Native Americans who are NOT living in poverty on a reservation got out of it.

Sounds to me you're equating them with ghetto-marooned Dazzling Urbanites, Clarence.  If only they applied themselves, etc.

MadImmortalMan

If the gubbermint is gonna give out land, I want to pick which piece I get.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Nope, not the case at all - for them, or for the your dazzling urbanites.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 02:27:17 PM
Doesn't help that BIA falls under the DOI, consistently stuffed with political appointees.

I imagine it also doesn't help much that Indians get a hiring preference at BIA.

The Minsky Moment

Does this mean the UN will now endorse the Zionist claim to the Solomonic Kingdom?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 07, 2012, 05:55:56 PM
Does this mean the UN will now endorse the Zionist claim to the Solomonic Kingdom?

Nah, the UN votes down anything Jew-related.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2012, 05:47:12 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 02:27:17 PM
Doesn't help that BIA falls under the DOI, consistently stuffed with political appointees.

I imagine it also doesn't help much that Indians get a hiring preference at BIA.

Not real Indians, though.  Liberal ivy league elitist Indians. Probably Muslims, too.  With no birth certificates.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2012, 04:07:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2012, 02:47:56 PM
How did we come to the understanding that their culture is a "failure"?

That's not what he said.  He said preserving the reservations system has been a failure.  Unless Indian culture = reservations, you misread him.

Not that I would really argue with the contention that American Indian culture is a failure.

QuoteI would not agree with that at all - Amish culture works. Does Native American culture?

The Amish have a perfectly viable and working social, poltiical, and economic system that functions quite well within the overall US culture. How is that comparable to Native American culture, which is clearly NOT functional in any meaningful sense?

The Amish farm, produce goods, engage in commerce, vote, raise families, work, are productive, etc., etc.

The Native Americans who live on reservations do not engage in activities that are culturally meaningful in the sense that it is preserving some distinct culture that is actually functional separate from the overall culture they exist in, or even as a subset of that culture.

I don't think the US should pass any laws taking away reservations or anything like that, but I do think it the right direction is to convince as many Native Americans as possible that their best option is to integrate into US society as a distinct cultural and ethnic group that functions as a part of the whole, like any other ethnic group in America.

I'm getting the impression he's saying their culture has been a failure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2012, 09:16:30 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2012, 04:07:08 PM

That's not what he said.  He said preserving the reservations system has been a failure.  Unless Indian culture = reservations, you misread him.

Not that I would really argue with the contention that American Indian culture is a failure.

QuoteI would not agree with that at all - Amish culture works. Does Native American culture?

The Amish have a perfectly viable and working social, poltiical, and economic system that functions quite well within the overall US culture. How is that comparable to Native American culture, which is clearly NOT functional in any meaningful sense?

The Amish farm, produce goods, engage in commerce, vote, raise families, work, are productive, etc., etc.

The Native Americans who live on reservations do not engage in activities that are culturally meaningful in the sense that it is preserving some distinct culture that is actually functional separate from the overall culture they exist in, or even as a subset of that culture.

I don't think the US should pass any laws taking away reservations or anything like that, but I do think it the right direction is to convince as many Native Americans as possible that their best option is to integrate into US society as a distinct cultural and ethnic group that functions as a part of the whole, like any other ethnic group in America.

I'm getting the impression he's saying their culture has been a failure.

Sure it does..... :lol:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Berkut thinks if only they applied themselves, they wouldn't have to live like that.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 09:47:10 PM
Berkut thinks if only they applied themselves, they wouldn't have to live like that.
If they didn't live on a reservation, they wouldn't have to live like that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Any civilization that doesn't have horseback riding researched by 1500 AD has to rank as a failure.