Main Menu

This one time at band camp...

Started by jimmy olsen, May 02, 2012, 01:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2012, 03:47:26 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2012, 03:37:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2012, 03:30:35 PM
I think the Euros have the better idea and a lot of NA kids are moving to sports clubs to do their sports.  Although our clubs are nowhere near as well organized or funded.

Really?  :huh:  At least at the high school level, that is not really happening here.

You probably wouldnt even notice it unless you are an athlete or know an athlete.  Take basketball for example.   High school basketball certainly still gets all the prestige but a lot of those kids got as good as they are by playing club basketball outside of school.

There are a number of club systems here now and a lot of them play against clubs in the US.

But that is happening in conjunction with high school basketball (during the off-season), not in place of it.  Kind of like how you have baseball & football (and basketball) camps & seminars during the off-season to maintain or strengthen skills.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2012, 01:55:23 PM
There wasn't much during my time (except school theater - I played one of the tailors in Emperor's New Clothes), but I checked up on my old school and they offer all kinds of stuff now - self defense, cooking, music, community projects etc.

It's much more common to have you kid join a (non-school) sports club or some such.

There hasnt been any school theatre at my school but I always dreamed of being in one. :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 04, 2012, 03:57:58 PM
A major difference between NA and Europe is that a lot of what is done in schools in NA (like sports) are done in clubs in Europe.  I think the Euros have the better idea and a lot of NA kids are moving to sports clubs to do their sports.  Although our clubs are nowhere near as well organized or funded.

Far as I know, it's always been that way for hockey.

Yeah, but I was thinking about real sports.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2012, 04:46:21 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 04, 2012, 03:57:58 PM
A major difference between NA and Europe is that a lot of what is done in schools in NA (like sports) are done in clubs in Europe.  I think the Euros have the better idea and a lot of NA kids are moving to sports clubs to do their sports.  Although our clubs are nowhere near as well organized or funded.

Far as I know, it's always been that way for hockey.

Yeah, but I was thinking about real sports.
you'd have more bite to your rmeark if you weren't championing basketball. Baseball is more of a real sport.

OK, that was a low blow, sorry. Nothing is below baseball in the true sport totem pole.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2012, 04:20:16 PM
But that is happening in conjunction with high school basketball (during the off-season), not in place of it.  Kind of like how you have baseball & football (and basketball) camps & seminars during the off-season to maintain or strengthen skills.

Yeah if that's what he's talking about, that stuff has been going on for a while in lots of sports.  I swam for one of the city clubs both before and during high school as well as the high school team once I, you know, got to high school.  Water polo was high school only though.  I don't think they had any club teams for that back then, although they do now.  I probably would have dropped the club swimming in favor of that if I had had the option (or if it really was there, if I had known about it).  Water polo was really fucking fun even though I wasn't as good at it relatively.

The Brain

We do school stuff in school and other stuff elsewhere. We're crazy like that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2012, 04:20:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2012, 03:47:26 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2012, 03:37:47 PM
I think the Euros have the better idea and a lot of NA kids are moving to sports clubs to do their sports.  Although our clubs are nowhere near as well organized or funded.

Really?  :huh:  At least at the high school level, that is not really happening here.

You probably wouldnt even notice it unless you are an athlete or know an athlete.  Take basketball for example.   High school basketball certainly still gets all the prestige but a lot of those kids got as good as they are by playing club basketball outside of school.

There are a number of club systems here now and a lot of them play against clubs in the US.

I didnt say it was happening in place of it in NA.  I was making the point that that IS the difference between NA and Europe.  In Europe their club systems are much better developed and so sports DO generally occur at the club level rather than at schools.