Guardian: Apple would still be highly profitable if production was in U.S.

Started by Syt, April 25, 2012, 06:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 25, 2012, 04:14:32 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2012, 04:03:51 PM
What's the logic behind anybody giving a rat penis soup fuck about a bunch of Chinese workers?

Depends whether you are behind or in front of the veil of ignorance.  If the former, then based on rought population numbers, you should care about 20 percent.

Meh, I take the Osama bin Laden approach; Chinese factory workers are as fair a target as PLA troops when it comes to mitigating the Advanced Persistent Threat.

Besides, if they weren't making iPods, counterfeit pharmaceuticals, lead painted toys, unsafe car tires and melamine-poisoned pet food, they'd be in the armaments industry.  So fuck their lot in life.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2012, 01:34:46 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 01:10:48 PM
I'm continually amazed by the strength of the belief that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

Well, I'm happy that I live in a country where we've mastered fire.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 06:32:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2012, 01:34:46 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 01:10:48 PM
I'm continually amazed by the strength of the belief that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

Well, I'm happy that I live in a country where we've mastered fire.

:lol:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 25, 2012, 03:22:43 PM3.  I don't think the inequality problem in the US is primarily or even significantly the result of offshoring of manufacturing in itself.  But that is a longer discussion.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the drivers of the inequality problem.

citizen k

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 01:10:48 PMI'm continually amazed by the strength of the belief that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating.

Two words: history and entropy

Razgovory

That's three words.  I can sumit up in two words: "Cognitive dissonance".   Berkut and those like him have already formed an idea of what government is, and information that contradicts this schema is forgotten, relegated in the mind as unimportant, or subtlety changed to reinforce the current belief.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: citizen k on April 25, 2012, 06:52:25 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 01:10:48 PMI'm continually amazed by the strength of the belief that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating.

Don't forget "massive propaganda".  Sure, one should always be skeptical of government regulations, but there is a difference between skepticism and blanket dismissal.  At the end of the day, the totality of government regulations is what makes our society civilized.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 06:35:43 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 25, 2012, 03:22:43 PM3.  I don't think the inequality problem in the US is primarily or even significantly the result of offshoring of manufacturing in itself.  But that is a longer discussion.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the drivers of the inequality problem.

I had planned a thread but that darn work stuff keeps interfering.
Short answer is financialization and deflation.  The latter has been influenced by globalization and offshoring but also by the rise of Eurozone and post-Volker hawkish orthodoxy at the Fed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2012, 07:55:12 PM
That's three words.  I can sumit up in two words: "Cognitive dissonance".   Berkut and those like him have already formed an idea of what government is, and information that contradicts this schema is forgotten, relegated in the mind as unimportant, or subtlety changed to reinforce the current belief.

Alright give me this information.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2012, 12:32:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2012, 07:55:12 PM

Alright give me this information.

That government can successfully regulate something?  Okay.  Take for example the Cuyahoga River.  It doesn't catch on fire anymore.  This is an improvement.  I doubt there are many people who claim that the Pure Food and Drug act did not improve food quality and the requirement that food and drugs had labels that helped consumers make better choices.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Morning, new day.  One day closer to death.  The world still sucks and nobody can ever fix it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on April 26, 2012, 07:25:07 AM
Morning, new day.  One day closer to death.  The world still sucks and nobody can ever fix it.

I guess if you consider politics to be the world and the entirety of politics to be the US Federal Government than sure.  But come on if you can use your bully pulpit to brainwash your students into your political foot soliders you could probably rule Wyoming like a king.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Last spring I got evaluations, one said "PDH was horrible, he is too liberal,"  another said "PDH is horrible, he is too conservative," while a third said "PDH was great, he even swore in classs."

Given that is the range of my foot soldiers, I will pass on revolution.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 25, 2012, 09:38:54 PM
Quote from: citizen k on April 25, 2012, 06:52:25 PM

Don't forget "massive propaganda".  Sure, one should always be skeptical of government regulations, but there is a difference between skepticism and blanket dismissal.  At the end of the day, the totality of government regulations is what makes our society civilized. 
I don't think that the totality of government regulations is what makes our society civilized, but agree that they are important in the process, in a well-governed society (and part of the problem in a poorly-governed society).  I guess if I lived where Jacob does and was surrounded by people who had a strong "belief that government and government policy is inherently futile and self-defeating," I'd be concerned about that issue.  I've never met a person with even a weak belief that this was true, though, so I won't spend any time trying to figure out why a coupla cranks in western Canada are cranks.

I suspect that your explanation that those two (or however many there are out there) are the subject of massive propaganda.  I can't think of another reason why a Canuck would have a strong opinion on anything.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!