Guardian: Apple would still be highly profitable if production was in U.S.

Started by Syt, April 25, 2012, 06:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2012, 10:27:45 AM
So where are the GOPtards screaming OMG TEH UNIONS WOULD DRIVE UP IPAD COSTS TO $451,514,674?

If Apple were stupid enough to set up an assembly plant in a non-right to work state they deserve to fail.

CountDeMoney

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Steve Jobs to President Obama
Those jobs aren't coming back.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Oh they will...someday.  But certainly not anytime soon.  Circumstances will eventually change.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2012, 11:00:05 AM
Let us hope you vision of the future is at least partially correct.   :P

Oh, I have no doubt many of the things I enumerated are, in this context anyways, "harmful for business" - but to listen to our great captains of industry, everything potentially is - especially things which threaten to bring any sort of political choice into the economic realm. What is their solution for the rising inequality? It always seems to be some form of magical job creation - the rhetorical export of a 19th - 20th century model of manufacturing, and the hopes these could bring to a dying breed of workers, to a 21st century economic climate. What are their political ideals? There are none, except the continuation of their own enrichment - something most of them are quite content with docile workers without a voice, child labour, Chinese totalitarism, tax evasion - as their historical predecessors had been quite content with docile workers without a voice, child labor, limited voting rights, colonialism. But our own captains of industry have even succeeded in getting rid of the pesky paternalism which imposed upon them, with the certitude of their own superiority, the necessity to give back. Ours only kept the certitude of their own superiority. Paternialism is left for a few wackos (Buffet) or to Hollywood stars who thrive on emotions.   
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2012, 09:31:13 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 25, 2012, 09:05:17 AM
True.  But at least there are...effective ways to end one  :ph34r:

There are very effective ways to end strikes against state-owned enterprises like coal mines.  Strikes against foreign manufacturers, not so much.

Can't they use the same method that US manufacturers used to use?  Murder?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2012, 11:20:43 AM
Oh they will...someday.  But certainly not anytime soon.  Circumstances will eventually change.

Which is why we should do nothing until they change. After all, circumstances change of their own accord, outside of any human agency whatsoever. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2012, 11:20:43 AM

No, they won't.  If they leave China, they'll just go to the next country with shit-poor labor, like Vietnam.  And when they leave Vietnam, they'll go to Indonesia.  And after that, who knows, Sri fucking Lanka or something.

There will always be an inexhaustible supply of shit-power labor to exploit somewhere in the world.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 25, 2012, 11:23:46 AM
Which is why we should do nothing until they change. After all, circumstances change of their own accord, outside of any human agency whatsoever. 

So far we are already doing everything you recomend and, as I said, our government wouldn't do it anyway-all the politicians need those corporations support to win elections (and likewise the corporations are all but extorted to continue to fund them or their competition will).

Finally even if it wasn't the case, if the government was in a position to take strident action to keep jobs here at the expense of these interests...what exactly would be the plan?  And wouldn't it have to be pretty hamfisted and extreme and likely to be perceived as economic warfare on the Chinese?  Wouldn't that lead to international conflict that might end up hurting the American worker anyway? 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2012, 11:27:37 AM
No, they won't.  If they leave China, they'll just go to the next country with shit-poor labor, like Vietnam.  And when they leave Vietnam, they'll go to Indonesia.  And after that, who knows, Sri fucking Lanka or something.

There will always be an inexhaustible supply of shit-power labor to exploit somewhere in the world.

There need to be very specific qualities in said shit country in order for it to be attractive to businesses.  There has to be a reasonably stable country with the ability to protect a corporations shit.  China has those things but if it was just about cheap labor international corps would be employing millions of Africans and they are not because it is too risky to set up shop in alot of those countries.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 25, 2012, 11:21:39 AM
Oh, I have no doubt many of the things I enumerated are, in this context anyways, "harmful for business" - but to listen to our great captains of industry, everything potentially is - especially things which threaten to bring any sort of political choice into the economic realm. What is their solution for the rising inequality? It always seems to be some form of magical job creation - the rhetorical export of a 19th - 20th century model of manufacturing, and the hopes these could bring to a dying breed of workers, to a 21st century economic climate. What are their political ideals? There are none, except the continuation of their own enrichment - something most of them are quite content with docile workers without a voice, child labour, Chinese totalitarism, tax evasion - as their historical predecessors had been quite content with docile workers without a voice, child labor, limited voting rights, colonialism. But our own captains of industry have even succeeded in getting rid of the pesky paternalism which imposed upon them, with the certitude of their own superiority, the necessity to give back. Ours only kept the certitude of their own superiority. Paternialism is left for a few wackos (Buffet) or to Hollywood stars who thrive on emotions.

You are fixated on the notion that good fiscal policy necessarily eguals policy that favours business beyond all else.  Whereas our experience shows that good fiscal policy benefits society in general.  For example, why should the tax payer subsidize political parties when that money can be used to help fund medical treatment?

You seem particularly ideological these days.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on April 25, 2012, 11:13:28 AM
But I do NOT believe that government regulation is the answer, at least not in any direct manner.
Would your answer on how to get people to act against their own interests be to have a wizard do it?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2012, 11:11:04 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 25, 2012, 11:09:22 AM
I think we need to invest in more green jobs.

I think you're trolling.  Trolls are green.

Not at all.  I just started a green energy company called Spiesslyndra and really need some federal cash to get things going.  I'm even going to donate to Obama's 2012 campaign to show him how serious I am about supporting his green agenda.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: Neil on April 25, 2012, 11:49:50 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 25, 2012, 11:13:28 AM
But I do NOT believe that government regulation is the answer, at least not in any direct manner.
Would your answer on how to get people to act against their own interests be to have a wizard do it?

No, it would be to set it up so that when they act in their own interests, it does not result in sucha perverse outcome for society in general.

Such a system, however, might require a wizard to be involved...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned