Did your opinion of Canada changed over the last 3 years?

Started by viper37, October 19, 2009, 02:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did your opinion of Canada changed over the last 3 years?

My opinion of Canada is lower than it was before
5 (10.4%)
My opinion of Canada is higher than it was before
14 (29.2%)
My opinion of Canada is the same as it ever was
29 (60.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

HVC

Hamilton's got to be pretty high up there in crappy cities.

smells weird too
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Viper, if anyone did a valid poll about your question my bet would be that of the small percentage of people that actually had an opinion, that opinion will not have changed at all.   We are like the non descript quiet kid that sits in the back of the class.  The only time anyone ever notices him is when they pick sides for a pickup game of hockey -  which never really happens.

We spend a lot of time trying to explain to people that we are not that boring and that we do things that are worth noticing but it never really works.

Monoriu

There is a Chinese proverb that can be roughly translated as "Not make a sound and get rich".  Not getting noticed is a great thing :contract:

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 19, 2009, 11:26:33 PM
Trouble is, one makes so little money in Canada that the standard of living is actually higher in Hong Kong :contract:

From the photos, I find that incredibly hard to believe. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2009, 02:37:43 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 19, 2009, 11:26:33 PM
Trouble is, one makes so little money in Canada that the standard of living is actually higher in Hong Kong :contract:

From the photos, I find that incredibly hard to believe. :lol:

The context was immigrants from Hong Kong :contract:

Richard Hakluyt

CC is right, the only thing that rescues Canada from complete obscurity is the possibility that the federation might break down one day.

However, I don't think this is a bad thing. In general non-Canadians seem to have a good opinion of the place, the country is rich and stable; no first-class cricket though, probably due to the climate.

Monoriu

I really don't get it.  What's wrong with obscurity?

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 20, 2009, 10:22:05 PM
There is a Chinese proverb that can be roughly translated as "Not make a sound and get rich".  Not getting noticed is a great thing :contract:

Well then I guess you got half of it right.

DontSayBanana

Not enough info for an informed opinion before, still not really enough info for an informed opinion now; I guess it's stayed the same in "meh-big country to the north" territory.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 21, 2009, 03:17:37 AM
The context was immigrants from Hong Kong :contract:

You still try to live like pod people when you come over here?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 21, 2009, 03:24:23 AM
CC is right, the only thing that rescues Canada from complete obscurity is the possibility that the federation might break down one day.

However, I don't think this is a bad thing. In general non-Canadians seem to have a good opinion of the place, the country is rich and stable; no first-class cricket though, probably due to the climate.

we don't pay attention to non contact sports very much. also we aren't smart enough to understand the rules. (okay maybe that's just me)
:p

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on October 20, 2009, 03:48:24 PM

Montreal.

:P

Montreal is like an old whore - passed her prime - but knows every trick in the book.  Pity it's so badly governed though.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 20, 2009, 10:19:23 PM

Viper, if anyone did a valid poll about your question my bet would be that of the small percentage of people that actually had an opinion, that opinion will not have changed at all.   We are like the non descript quiet kid that sits in the back of the class.  The only time anyone ever notices him is when they pick sides for a pickup game of hockey -  which never really happens.

We spend a lot of time trying to explain to people that we are not that boring and that we do things that are worth noticing but it never really works.
My opinion exactly.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 21, 2009, 12:33:38 PM
we don't pay attention to non contact sports very much. also we aren't smart enough to understand the rules. (okay maybe that's just me)
Cricket is delightful.  There's a field near my tower where immigrants play cricket in the summer.  It's fun to watch.  Think baseball, only better in every way.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Oh.  Neil made me laugh.  That doesn't happen very often.
:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.