Did your opinion of Canada changed over the last 3 years?

Started by viper37, October 19, 2009, 02:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did your opinion of Canada changed over the last 3 years?

My opinion of Canada is lower than it was before
5 (10.4%)
My opinion of Canada is higher than it was before
14 (29.2%)
My opinion of Canada is the same as it ever was
29 (60.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2009, 05:41:37 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2009, 05:37:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 04:00:30 PM
I feel sorry for all you yanks whose only impression of Canada is based on southern Ontario. :console:

You should feel sorry for us Yanks whose only impression of Canada is based on you, Neil and Grey Fox.

What about those whose impression is based on HVC, Crazy Canuck, Malthus and Josephus?  :huh:

I just realized I've met every one of the people so far mentioned.  :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Agelastus

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 05:43:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 04:00:30 PM
I feel sorry for all you yanks whose only impression of Canada is based on southern Ontario. :console:

You should feel sorry for us Yanks whose only impression of Canada is based on you, Neil and Grey Fox.

I do.

Because you'll be so disappointed to realize that instead of people like the three of us, Canada is instead full of people like saskganesh and buddharhubarb.   :(

My high opinion of Canada is not affected by any of the posters on Languish. Nor is it affected by whoever is in charge there.

It rests on my appreciation for all your selfless help and sacrifice in WWII in support of my country, for which you can never be thanked enough. :hug:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ed Anger

I haven't been exposed to Much Music or the CBC in the past few years.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 19, 2009, 02:31:46 PM
I wonder why you specified 3 years... :shifty:
Ok, I asked 'caused opponents of Harper and the PCC keep repeating that Canada's international stance has changed for the worst since Harper was elected.

I know it's bullshit.  Canada is, on the international stage, a very minor country, not to say worthless.  You go outside your country and you say you're Canadian people are gonna say "nice...".  So, the idea that somehow Canada had a superior status among other nations of the world was ludicrous to me.  But again this morning, Chrétien, while visiting France repeated that Canada's international reputation was "tarnished by the action of the Conservatives".  In other words, Harper = Bush ;)

I just wanted confirmation that I was right: nobody cares about Canada.  We'd need to be really pretty bad ass, say, ally with North Korea or supply nuclear material to Iran so that foreigners would start hating us ;)  Wich I think is pretty unlikely.

So, I'm glad that there's one less myth today :P

As informal as this survey is, it was a nice exercise to do, I believe.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 19, 2009, 03:54:48 PM
Thanks, that seems more reasonable.   :)  I personally can't ski and have no interest in learning, or in any winter sports.  I was interested in seeing some of the great Canadian Shield landscape, but I guess winter's not the best time...
Actually, in eastern Quebec, there isn't much to do except for outdoor pleasures even in summer: rafting, hunting, fishing (salmon), whales sight-seeing, kayak, etc.

There's a few musuems here and there, some art galleries with genuine Inuit sculptures made in Taiwan ;) , but really no big cities.  You can hike some mountains in Gaspesia if wether permits, you can walk or bike on some trails, but aside that...  Gaspesia (easternmost part of the province) has been quite neglected by the governments in the last 20 years, and as such is experiencing a steady decline, high unemployment rates and the population his very poor.  My friends visited the peninsula a few years ago and came back 2 days later, out of a 2 weeks trip.

It really depends on what you want to do in Quebec.  If you're the big city type, there's really only Montreal to see. 

Quebec city in itself is beautiful to see, in winter or in summer.  Imho, it's the best a city can offer: not too big, not too small, decent prices on food&lodging, and nice sightseeing to do.

In January there's the annual Red Bull Crashed Ice event and the Winter Carnival in early February with some nice sculptures on ice.  There's the Musée de la Civilisation with various expos; depending wich one, it's either a must see or it-can-wait-later thing :D

Have fun on your trip!  Let me know when you're coming :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2009, 02:41:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2009, 02:33:24 PM
Stephen Harper has pleased me the few times Canada has had something to say internationally so it has gone up.  The Liberals used to say the most retarded bullshit.

Ditto.
Me three.

viper37

I'm not in the list... should I feel worried or honored? :P

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2009, 05:00:39 PM
Meh.  What does Cal have against Pearson?
Are you talking about the airport or the politician here?  Because I have different reasons for hating both.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fate

Canadian is nothing more than a synonym for coward. Thumbs down for their retreat from Afghanistan.

Tonitrus

Higher.

Mostly due to my drive through Canada.

Annoyed by the small hassle I had at the border, but...

- Gruff but friendly staff a stop for food along the AlCan.  First exposure to poutine (not too bad, really)
- Noticed a bunch of local residents, way out in the Canadian boonies, picking up trash along the highway.  Only prison convicts do that in America.
- HOTT 6-foot tall redhead at the Costco in Grand Prairie.
- Super HOTT/cute redhead flag-lady on the highway repair crew between Whitehorse and the Alaska border.  :wub:

Agelastus

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 19, 2009, 06:41:47 PM
Higher.
- Super HOTT/cute redhead flag-lady on the highway repair crew between Whitehorse and the Alaska border.  :wub:

Any pictures to share with us?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Grallon

Canada is merely decomposing slowly under our eyes.  ^_^

And as we all know, the old must die for the new to emerge.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

Did you: climb Mt. Suribachi?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Agelastus on October 19, 2009, 06:59:52 PM
Higher.

Any pictures to share with us?

I don't take pictures of random strangers, I leave that to creepy stalkers.

QuoteDid you: climb Mt. Suribachi?

Nah, I was just buying some food to eat while on the road.  I had another few hundred miles to cover that day.