News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Time for debt forgiveness?

Started by Sheilbh, April 21, 2012, 07:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Well, if you forgive all the loans the bank makes, how is the bank going to pay the "deposits" then? Grumbler's point is valid.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2012, 12:59:23 PM
Only on Languish would a loan and deposit be mixed up so that Grumber could argue a semantic point.

If a deposit isn't a loan, what is it?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Deposits are only loans in the most theoretical way.  You guys are buying Grumblespeak.  The thread is clearly about forgiving loans not deposits.

But if you want to get technical, loans are secured by collateral.  Deposits are generally secured by government regulation (largely in the form of depositors insurance).  So no, Grumber's point is not valid.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2012, 01:12:05 PM
But if you want to get technical, loans are secured by collateral.  Deposits are generally secured by government regulation (largely in the form of depositors insurance).  So no, Grumber's point is not valid.

Grumbler's point was not that deposits are loans...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

But if you want to get technical, loans are secured by collateral.

Nonsense.  Some loans, certainly, are secured by collateral, but plenty of loans are secured by insurance as well.  Plenty of people getting a mortgage loan are required to get insurance for the loan, for instance, rather than provide collateral.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2012, 01:32:03 PM

Nonsense.  Some loans, certainly, are secured by collateral, but plenty of loans are secured by insurance as well.  Plenty of people getting a mortgage loan are required to get insurance for the loan, for instance, rather than provide collateral.
Don't argue with Cranky Canuck when he starts into his interminable semantic arguments!  :lol:

Trust me, that's a rat hole down which even Alice would fear to go.

My point that forgiving all debts is a bad idea stands, because debts aren't "imaginary money" at all, in the long run.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Next bailout: Insurance companies.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2012, 01:07:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2012, 12:59:23 PM
Only on Languish would a loan and deposit be mixed up so that Grumber could argue a semantic point.

It's mine.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2012, 02:15:56 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2012, 01:07:37 PM

It's mine.

Yeah like your social security account is. lol

Posession is 9/10th and all that.

crazy canuck

No wonder your country's real estate market went for shit.  No collateral.  Not even the property itself.  That is some messed up system you got there.

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 23, 2012, 02:14:36 PM

Next bailout: Insurance companies.

I cant believe banks, even banks in the US, wont take at least the property as collateral.

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2012, 03:19:20 PM

No wonder your country's real estate market went for shit.  No collateral.  Not even the property itself.  That is some messed up system you got there.

:huh:  Who said anything about them not seizing the property after a failure to pay?  The mortgage insurance is there to cover the lender in case of default.  The property is still going to be seized.

Regardless, this still doesn't change the my initial comment.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on April 23, 2012, 09:52:49 AM
The Singaporean bureaucracy seemed to be very efficient and streamlined when I was there. Certainly more efficient that American immigration & work permit procedures. ;) No idea about redtape for corporations.
My old job was researching different government policies and in the developed world the US had the most unfriendly and seemingly bureaucratic systems.

QuoteWe can easily be back to a regular theme here: definition of middle class. Rising living standards does not necessary equal rise in middle class as a political group.
I'm British, believe me I get that there's more to class than living standards and wealth :P

But the truth is there's always only been a tiny upper class - remember 'the rich' aren't necessarily upper class and 'the poor' aren't always working class - but I think a majority of people both objectively and subjectively are middle class now.  In the immediate post-war that wasn't the case.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2012, 03:36:36 PM
:huh:  Who said anything about them not seizing the property after a failure to pay?  The mortgage insurance is there to cover the lender in case of default.  The property is still going to be seized.

So the banks do take the property as collateral... 

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2012, 04:02:32 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2012, 03:36:36 PM

So the banks do take the property as collateral...

Yes, and then they cash in the insurance policy on the loss as well.