News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Forbes on Kobe Beef (and Champagne)

Started by Jacob, April 19, 2012, 07:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 04:18:52 PM
But for champagne?  It's all about the secondary fermentation.

No the base wine is very important, both directly and indirectly in terms of influencing the level of dosage.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Richard Hakluyt

Danish feta and German feta are rubbish compared to the real thing. I did buy a good Yorkshire feta a few years back though, they have changed their name to "Yorkshire Fettle" after the EU designation took effect, I hope their sales have held up, an excellent cheese.

Sparkling wines.........I prefer Asti over Champagne for family celebrations. Champagne is typically quite strong, about 13%, Asti is bubbly gnat's piss at about 6%....the good news about that is you can open several bottles, the teens can have a couple of glasses with impunity and old buggers like me don't fall asleep from excessive alcohol, it is a fun drink, IMO Champagne is a more serious drink. Of course a bottle of real Champagne is a convenient gift for people who have done one a minor favour, perhaps 95% of my champagne purchases are of this nature................perhaps they would all really prefer 3 bottles of Asti instead  :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

Incidentally, I find the argument that this is all about snobbery rather odd. For example, many British people are rather fond of Spanish Cava (Champagne from Spain  :D ), probably due to drinking vast quantities of it on holiday in Spain. Anyway, if such a person visits then you want to get some Cava in , not Champagne, not Asti..............surely it is simply convenient that these various wines are accurately and succinctly labelled?

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 20, 2012, 05:07:52 PM
Incidentally, I find the argument that this is all about snobbery rather odd. For example, many British people are rather fond of Spanish Cava (Champagne from Spain  :D ), probably due to drinking vast quantities of it on holiday in Spain. Anyway, if such a person visits then you want to get some Cava in , not Champagne, not Asti..............surely it is simply convenient that these various wines are accurately and succinctly labelled?

Because Spanish wines/champagnes (;)) don't have any spanish text on the label. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 20, 2012, 04:51:38 PM
Danish feta and German feta are rubbish compared to the real thing. I did buy a good Yorkshire feta a few years back though, they have changed their name to "Yorkshire Fettle" after the EU designation took effect, I hope their sales have held up, an excellent cheese.

Sparkling wines.........I prefer Asti over Champagne for family celebrations. Champagne is typically quite strong, about 13%, Asti is bubbly gnat's piss at about 6%....the good news about that is you can open several bottles, the teens can have a couple of glasses with impunity and old buggers like me don't fall asleep from excessive alcohol, it is a fun drink, IMO Champagne is a more serious drink. Of course a bottle of real Champagne is a convenient gift for people who have done one a minor favour, perhaps 95% of my champagne purchases are of this nature................perhaps they would all really prefer 3 bottles of Asti instead  :hmm:

That's something you have in common with my wife, your liking for Asti.

Fireblade

Fireblade

While we're on the subject of bourgeoise food, THIS:

Is fucking awesome cheese. I'm seriously tempted to drop $167 to get a 5 pound ball of it. And I'd eat it all in one go, and have absolutely no regrets.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2012, 09:58:04 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2012, 09:40:54 AM
In the US, we have something called "brands" that serve that purpose.
Exactly.  That's the comparison I'd make, these foods are brands.  Producers make product and have done for a long time in a certain way and in a certain place.  Because of that they charge extra.  Both the producers and consumers should be protected from freeloaders stealing their brand name and recognition without producing the same product in the same way and of the same quality.
Problem solved, then. Brands are already protected under US law.  Unless these things are not brands, in which case they are not protected.

A producer that makes a product, blah, blah, blah, has only to brand it and it is protected.

QuoteI don't need to know in legal terms.  That's the benefit of that meaning something is I know that I can pick up any brand of 'extra virgin' olive oil and it will be what I want extra virgin olive oil for in food.
I buy by brand.  I don't need to know what arbitrary government standard has been applied to a product, i only need know whether I like that brand or not.  Labels don't influence my taste buds.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Fireblade on April 20, 2012, 06:24:39 PM
While we're on the subject of bourgeoise food, THIS:

Is fucking awesome cheese. I'm seriously tempted to drop $167 to get a 5 pound ball of it. And I'd eat it all in one go, and have absolutely no regrets.

Looks like a Pokeball. I CHOOSE YOU PIKACHU!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on April 20, 2012, 02:39:09 PM
Anyway, i think we're just differing on how to seperate the products out, Malthus. My view is why go the extra step of labeling something "Champagne made in France" or "Champagne made in California" (where the origin of a wine can be placed out of the way and probably not shown on wine lists in a restaurant) when you can just have "Champagne" as the designation of the sparkling wine region in france and "Sparkling wine made in XXX" for all others.
Better yet, have the Champagnois label their wines "Sparkling wine made in Champagne" to be consistent all around.

Alternatively, the Champagne Houses could create brands of sparkling wines, and get know for quality by brand, rather than forcing consumers to trust some government bureaucrats to ensure that Champagne brand sparkling wine meets some arbitrary standard.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 04:04:57 PM
I dunno Minsky - I've had some fine "champagnes" from Canada and Spain.
It's Cava and it's lovely :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2012, 09:19:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2012, 09:16:57 AM
:huh:

We have different prices for those products depending on their quality and also import status.  I think one would be hard pressed to say that Americans pay a premium price for this:
I'm using parmesan as short hand for parmegiano-reggiano.  I know they're different but the last one's a bitch to type more than once in a post :P
We just call it Reggie, here.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: Fireblade on April 20, 2012, 06:20:43 PM
I prefer a nice Andre Cold Duck.

So the other day I had to stay billing late in the office. I downed a bottle of Strawberry Andre for old times sake. I don't think I'd do that again as it was only 7%!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

how strict are geographic trademarks I have to wonder?
Could one have Kobe styled beef?- make clear its not Kobe beef but it is the same stuff pretty much, just from elsewhere. Or Kendel style cake or champagne style wine or whatever.
Or is all mention of the place in question utterly verbotten?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.