News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Forbes on Kobe Beef (and Champagne)

Started by Jacob, April 19, 2012, 07:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2012, 09:11:37 PM
Why should the onus be on the consumer that a product is what it says it is?  What's the difference between this and any other type of copyright or, say, weights and measures?  I think this is a totally legitimate aim for government and one of the oldest - insuring that what is for sale is what the merchant promises.

Why should Kobe beef, parmesan or extra virgin olive oil be allowed to be mere puff - an advertising gimmick - when, say, Coca-Cola is safe?
Because "Kobe" beef doesn't mean anything other than a type of food in the US, nor "extra virgin," nor "parmesan."  Coca-cola is made by a single company that is itself (not the government) responsible for its content.   In the US Swiss cheese, champagne, New York strip, Kobe beef, Italian sausage, parmesan, etc just describe food types.   Snobs care that some of them are elite foods in Europe or Japan, but I think the US government is wise to stay out of that arena.  The fact that snobs weep tears of frustration at the thought of having to read the labels of the products they must purchase, just like the rest of us, makes me happy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2012, 09:11:37 PM
Why should the onus be on the consumer that a product is what it says it is?  What's the difference between this and any other type of copyright or, say, weights and measures?  I think this is a totally legitimate aim for government and one of the oldest - insuring that what is for sale is what the merchant promises.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not in the Constitution, pal.

Monoriu

Quote from: citizen k on April 20, 2012, 03:02:16 AM
In the U.S., Wagyu cattle are bred with Black Angus to make "American Kobe" beef.

That sounds like a good idea.  Combining the best traits of both kinds of beef.  I'd like to try that some day :mmm:

In Japan, the more fat the beef has, the more expensive it is.  Sometimes I feel like eating nothing but fat and that's just sad. 

Admiral Yi

I'm with Shelf in general.  Though I don't see the problem with calling a steak "Kobe style."

To the people opposed: the liquor store now has Champagne and California Sparkling Wine, instead of just Champagne.  What have you lost?

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2012, 06:36:56 AMBecause "Kobe" beef doesn't mean anything other than a type of food in the US, nor "extra virgin," nor "parmesan." 
It clearly does mean something that's why you pay extra for it and have celebrity chefs pushing it.  In countries with these protections that's justified the meaning is attached to a method, location or heritage of producing.  If I buy extra virgin olive oil I know that, under EU law, it has a certain meaning (I think it has to be first press for example).  Similarly Lincolnshire sausages must have a certain percentage of pork (far higher than average), but aside from that only salt, pepper and sage.

In the US it seems you get the worst of both worlds.  You pay the extra price for parmesan or extra virgin olive oil but the product you get isn't necessarily any better or different than standard olive oil or any hard cheese.  So you get the price without the meaning.

Also there's nothing snobbish about it and I dread to think what sort of life you've been leading if parmesan and olive oil qualify as 'elite' European foods.

QuoteThough I don't see the problem with calling a steak "Kobe style."
I don't think that's a problem at all.  I regularly buy 'Toulouse style sausages'.
Let's bomb Russia!

HisMajestyBOB

I prefer my Kobe beef cooked with napalm from 20,000 feet.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 08:46:24 AM
To the people opposed: the liquor store now has Champagne and California Sparkling Wine, instead of just Champagne.  What have you lost?

I have to deal with attitude from jerk-offs that remind me I'm drinking sparkling wine when I say I'm drinking champagne.  As far as benefits, I don't see any considering that most of the time such products are labeled to tell you where they are from - if that mattered to me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2012, 09:05:25 AM
In the US it seems you get the worst of both worlds.  You pay the extra price for parmesan or extra virgin olive oil but the product you get isn't necessarily any better or different than standard olive oil or any hard cheese.  So you get the price without the meaning.

:huh:

We have different prices for those products depending on their quality and also import status.  I think one would be hard pressed to say that Americans pay a premium price for this:

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2012, 09:12:45 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 08:46:24 AM

I have to deal with attitude from jerk-offs that remind me I'm drinking sparkling wine when I say I'm drinking champagne.  As far as benefits, I don't see any considering that most of the time such products are labeled to tell you where they are from - if that mattered to me.

I think champagne is something of an exception - I truly believe that the term has reached the point of generality, and is no longer unique to the Champagne region of France.

Taking out champagne though, I agree that stricter food labelling rules are a good thing, and the article on "American Kobe beef" was eye-opening.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I have to deal with attitude from jerk-offs that remind me I'm drinking sparkling wine when I say I'm drinking champagne.

Is this a common activity for you, announcing that you're drinking Champagne while you're drinking sparkling wine?

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2012, 09:16:57 AM

We have different prices for those products depending on their quality and also import status.  I think one would be hard pressed to say that Americans pay a premium price for this:
I'm using parmesan as short hand for parmegiano-reggiano.  I know they're different but the last one's a bitch to type more than once in a post :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

It's still a little surprising how hypocritical the US is on intellectual property and trademarks.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2012, 09:23:21 AM
It's still a little surprising how hypocritical the US is on intellectual property and trademarks.

How is the US hypocritical on intellectual property?

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2012, 09:19:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2012, 09:16:57 AM

I'm using parmesan as short hand for parmegiano-reggiano.  I know they're different but the last one's a bitch to type more than once in a post :P

I copied and pasted :P

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 09:19:02 AM
I have to deal with attitude from jerk-offs that remind me I'm drinking sparkling wine when I say I'm drinking champagne.

Is this a common activity for you, announcing that you're drinking Champagne while you're drinking sparkling wine?

Most of the time when I drink champagne it isn't from Champagne.